Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Complaints

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Complaints

Greetings,

I have had a Sallie Mae MasterCard since June, 2014. On 12/26, I made two transactions using my card. The first one was approved and the second was declined. I logged onto my online account later that night. There were no notices or indications stating why the second transaction had been declined. I did notice that the last four digits of my card had been changed. When logged onto my mobile app, I was greeted with a pop-up stating my account was flagged for suspected fraud due to a possible breach at one of the places I patronize. This pop-up indicated I should not use my old (current) card and wait for the new replacement card to arrive. I thought the issue would be resolved promptly.

On Wednesday night (1/6). I sent a complaint using the message center reporting I had not received a replacement card. On Thursday morning (1/7), I received a nine paragraph response which contained only three "specific" references to my account. Barclays reported the Security Team placed a fraud alert on my account on 12/25, my new replacement card was issued on 1/6, and I could use my old (current) card until 1/15. I was quite upset with this response. 

I sent another more specific complaint. I asked them to clarify whether the "original" replacement was issued on 1/6 or an "expedited" replacement was issued due to my inconvenience. I also reported again that my old (current) card has been declined and I have not been able to use it since the 26th. Later, I received yet another nine paragraph response (do their studies confirm nine paragraphs is the right length) to this new complaint. Barclays only issued the "original" replacement card by regular mail on 1/6 (the day I complained), I should receive the new card within 7-10 days, and once again I should be able to use the old (current) card until1/15.

Last year, I talked my partner into applying for this card. On 12/25, she also had a fraud alert placed on her account. Neither of us has received replacement cards. It has been now been two weeks. At this point, I have not called the CSR number because I believe that I would rashly decide to close this card upon speaking to someone. I don't believe they want my business anymore as I use this card almost exclusively for the bonus categories. Has anyone else had this issue with Barclays? Should I wait it out or give up on them?

**I try to keep an open mind when I read another forum member posting complaints about a particular lender. I realize that customers often have different experiences and interactions with the companies in which they give their business. This is just my experience and is not meant to persuade anyone one way or the other. I just want to vent.**

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays Complaints

Sorry for your difficulties but this is not something that I would be dealing with via secured message.  You need to deal with this on the telephone and escalate if necessary.

Message 2 of 25
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry for your difficulties but this is not something that I would be dealing with via secured message.  You need to deal with this on the telephone and escalate if necessary.

I agree as well. Secured chat from many of the credit card companies just aren't that helpful. 

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 3 of 25
Callandra
Valued Contributor

I agree with calling. If your card is declined, call. Once they verify it's you, they can lift the security freeze and then you can try swiping the card again. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 4 of 25
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree as well. Secured chat from many of the credit card companies just aren't that helpful. 

I agree as well.  I had something similar happen with my Sallie Mae card last year, but Barclays notified me ahead of time and my old card kept working until the new card was received.  The new card arrived with little time to spare, but the point is that the old card continued to work as Barclays promised.  They need to tell you why your old/current card isn't working any longer when it should be.

Message 5 of 25
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree as well.  I had something similar happen with my Sallie Mae card last year, but Barclays notified me ahead of time and my old card kept working until the new card was received.  The new card arrived with little time to spare, but the point is that the old card continued to work as Barclays promised.  They need to tell you why your old/current card isn't working any longer when it should be.

Same thing happened to my fiance with his Sallie Mae. He wound up getting a new one (it took awhile too, maybe 3-4 weeks) but never had problems with his old one until the new one arrived. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 6 of 25
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I agree with the other posters. Call and go through the verification questions with the security department and you'll be golden
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with all the other posters. Please call.

Message 8 of 25
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Always call for this sort of stuff.  I just had a fraud notification on my Chase card and immediately called in to ensure that fraudulent transactions were denied while legitimate transactions were not and that the replacement card was expedited since it was a card that I used a lot.  You're making all this much more dififcult than it needs to be by insisting on messaging.

If I get an unexpected decline I call ASAP.  Don't wait.  If it's important to you then it should be important enough for you to call and address in a timely fashion.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with others that you need to call. I had the same thing happen with my Barclaycard, with the same message saying the card would work until 1/15 OR until a replacement card arrived. There's no reason to message about it - call them and they'll resolve it for you quickly. Very simple.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.