Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Consolidation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Consolidation

Anyone know how long it takes to merge CLs? Is there any downside?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays Consolidation

@Anonymous wrote:

Pretty much as soon as you get off the phone with them. I don't really see any downside, you still have the available credit but if you transfer all then the card would show up as closed. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It is done immediately once the request is made.  The only downside is once it is done, you can't get it undone..

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Down side would be if you reduced one credit line below a level that could impact your profile. For example, if one of your credit lines was 6k and you reduced it to 2700k - may not be wise because now you suddenly created a credit line below 5k, which you didn't before. 5k is a threshold for many lenders for them to feel good about increasing their credit exposure to you on a broader level. Every situation is diffierent, but it helps to think about the impact before making a move. Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Down side would be if you reduced one credit line below a level that could impact your profile. For example, if one of your credit lines was 6k and you reduced it to 2700k - may not be wise because now you suddenly created a credit line below 5k, which you didn't before. 5k is a threshold for many lenders for them to feel good about increasing their credit exposure to you on a broader level. Every situation is diffierent, but it helps to think about the impact before making a move. Hope this helps.

I disagree as OP will not be reducing a credit line.  That is not what the poster is inquiring.  Consolidating is combining the account NOT reducing the limit.  Impact on credit profile is the same as limits will increase.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I called about 2 hours ago and online accounts are unchanged, $3K added to $2K. Didn't need the Apple since Apple replaced my 4 year old MBP for free!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I called about 2 hours ago and online accounts are unchanged, $3K added to $2K. Didn't need the Apple since Apple replaced my 4 year old MBP for free!

Call back and make sure it was done correctly.  Tell them you are not seeing it online.  If you did so 2 hours ago, it should be showing immediately once you log in to your account.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would you want multiple little bitty 2k credit lines instead or several larger ones? Seems dumb.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Why would you want multiple little bitty 2k credit lines instead or several larger ones? Seems dumb.

Where are you getting this from? OP looking to merge his/her 3k line to the 2k line bringing the credit line to 5k on 1 card from my understanding hence the question. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

as soon as the credit dept. rep pushes the button, it'll be applied immediately. I got it done today at 6 in the morning, the whole phone call took less than 2 min.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.