cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays... Cut them before they could cut me.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays... Cut them before they could cut me.

Well, last year I signed up for the Arrival Plus Barclays card, got the points and took advantage of a balance transfer offer. Carried 5k with them for 12 months. Credit line was $10,500. Had to recon because at first they only gave me a 5k limit. Took a HP after one month of account opening and got it to 10.5.

Anyway, got a letter in the mail this week saying my AF was due the end of the month and to call them to see if there was anything they could do to help me. So I did.

They offered to wave the fee. After reading so many Barclay experiences here, I paid off my 5k transfered all but $500 of my credit limit to the AAdvantage red card and closed my account.

I just paid the AF on the Red card, waiting for the points to come in. (paid my water bill with it...) Im expecting AA because Barclays wont like me having 21k in a SD, but I am running balances on 2 other cards right now so the available credit wont hurt to have. If they cut my credit line I wont care. Going to close this card this summer if they dont do it before then. Even if I loose the $21k with them, I am still under 10% UTI.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays... Cut them before they could cut me.

Personally I find that proactively closing accounts because you may get AA is IMO not necessary. Even if they CLD you, you'd close it anyway, so either way your utilization won't factor the account. So what's the benefit of closing it? You lose the benefits of the card for possibly no reason.

Now if the card is useless anyway then of course close away but out of fear of AA? I wouldn't bother
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im planning to thin my cards back anyway. Looking at buying a house in 6 months.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! It feels good eh? Never again for Barclays. Haven't regretted it one minute
Message 4 of 5
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

I agree with kdm.  

AA's from Barclays are not inevitable.  Remeber when you read the Barclay stories, they have 16M+ card members, we only here from a vast minority, but very vocal.

BTW, I've gone through underwriting for multiple mortgages, never once was my $200K plus total CL mentioned.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.