Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Denial

So I applied for the Barclays NFL card, and unfortunately when I checked my application status, it says the following:

Currently we are unable to offer you a credit card issued by Barclays Bank Delaware. Details on why we could not make you a credit offer will be mailed to you.

Should I try and recon?  If so, what do I say?  I've never done one before, so I'm a bit nervous about it.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Smug
Established Contributor

Re: Barclays Denial

Always recon.....
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 2 of 32
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I'm sure others will chime in shortly. I called Barclay to ask for an increased credit limit shortly after my approval. They were really nice and it was a painfree process.

Do you have any negatives on your CR. Be prepared to explain any negatives and give them a good reason for why you want the card. They historically have been pretty good with recons.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

No baddies.  I'm relatively new to credit, sitting at 28% util with 2 cards.  I've heard that Barclays was INQ sensitive, but I only have 3 INQs on my TU report, and only one is less than a year old.

Message 4 of 32
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No baddies.  I'm relatively new to credit, sitting at 28% util with 2 cards.  I've heard that Barclays was INQ sensitive, but I only have 3 INQs on my TU report, and only one is less than a year old.

Barclay really should just switch the application process to automatically call you when you hit submit and take you to a credit analyst because their auto-approval computer system almost NEVER Auto Approves and usually when it does it's for a stupid limit (yes exceptions exist)

Call them up on Monday, they are Eastern Time depending where you are, think they open at 8 or 9AM.

Message 5 of 32
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it should be a relatively easy approval for you then. Call them on Monday. They are open 8 AM Eastern time. Try this number to get to their credit analyst( 866-408-4064) .

Tell them that you want to use their card primarily and wanted a higher credit limit than what your other two cards have. Does the NFL card have any rewards or introductory APR? You can also use those reasons as to why you want the card.

They are usually very nice and try to get people approved. Let us know how it goes!

Edited to add: They are usually INQ sensitive although it seems to be more of an issue AFTER you are approved for their card. They tend to soft your credit report frequently after approval and people have reported adverse action (closed accounts or credit line decrease) after opening multiple accounts post Barclay. General recommendations are just to limit your new accounts the first six months after opening a Barclay account. It doesn't mean you can't apply for more cards, it just means you shouldn't open 6 accounts shortly after opening one wth them.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Message 6 of 32
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with other posters here... You should definately call them up, especially if you want their product!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

They do have a really nice intro bonus points offer going on.  Plus you get 20% off all NFL Shop purchases when you use the card, and I'm a huge NFL fan.

Message 8 of 32
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They do have a really nice intro bonus points offer going on.  Plus you get 20% off all NFL Shop purchases when you use the card, and I'm a huge NFL fan.

Sweet. Emphasize all of these. Better credit limit, intro bonus point and big NFL fan. They will love it Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds good to me.  I'll give them a call tomorrow, and hopefully they'll reverse their decision!

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.