cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Denied, Recon Denied... should i retry recon?

tag
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

Barclays Denied, Recon Denied... should i retry recon?

I applied for the Barclays Apple Visa and was instantly denied, Knowing that people have had great sucess with barclay recons i decided to give the backdoor number a shot.

So i called the number and the guy asked me for my SSN# to pull up my application and review my credit report, He immediately mentioned my only derog which is a 2 year old paid CO, he also mentioned that all of my credit cards are less than a year old (actually 3 out of my 4 CC's will hit their 1st year anniversary next month). He finished up by saying that i am handling my credit cards very well but that they need to see a bit more history before they can approve me.

I didn't really persist or explained about the CO but then again he didn't really ask any questions and only explained why i was denied, maybe he didn't know i was calling for a recon since i kinda just sounded like i just wanted to know why i was denied, i should have been more agressive.

Are these recons a one shot thing? I am afraid that if i call again they might already know i attempted a recon and will flat out deny me.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclays Denied, Recon Denied... should i retry recon?

Call back and ask them to reconsider.  Be prepared to explain the CO and remind them that it is paid.  Also, if it comes up, you should point out that your cards will be a year old soon.  

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 2 of 10
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

+1 report back and let us know how it goes. also whats your tu score sitting at?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 3 of 10
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Well if he didn't know he "should" be reconsidering then why would he reconsider?  I would call them back and tell them you'd like to be reconsidered, as stated above.  Good luck and let us know what happens!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 10
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

I did tell him i wanted a manual review but didn't specifically say i wanted reconsideration, though i would think that would have been obvious since i took the time to call them.

I will give them another call tomorrow and i will be clearer on what i am actually calling about, I have seen people with a 2 year old BK getting approved after recon so i would imagine that my chances can't be that bad.

By the way my TU is hovering around 640-650, In the denial it stated my Fico was 621 so i am guessing they pulled EQ.

Message 5 of 10
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Or a different version of TU - Barclays almost always pulls TU (I can't remember ever reading of them pulling anything else).

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Denny33142 wrote:

I did tell him i wanted a manual review but didn't specifically say i wanted reconsideration, though i would think that would have been obvious since i took the time to call them.

I will give them another call tomorrow and i will be clearer on what i am actually calling about, I have seen people with a 2 year old BK getting approved after recon so i would imagine that my chances can't be that bad.

By the way my TU is hovering around 640-650, In the denial it stated my Fico was 621 so i am guessing they pulled EQ.

Yes, When did you pull your 650 TU, because Barclay ONLY pulls TU and it was within 2 points of what I had pulled.

and Barclay is SO annoying sometimes... they VERY much care about INQ, they also want really like 2 years of new credit after a baddie and BK.  Well how am I going to get accounts if I can't have INQ to apply with you!!!

and that backdoor number, that's all they do is manual review "reconsider" no wording needed... "Hello, I was denied by computer and 1 person, I would like a 2nd person to look, Thank You!."

I got approved on first call, then did a second call to try for higher initial CL. I didn't get higher and I stopped.

Message 7 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Barclays denied me too a few months back.... they denied my recon too.  Then, a few months later I was approved for a high-limit, great benefit card at another bank that didn't require any extra persuading.  My recommendation:  Forget about Barclays.... even if you get the card they might not even give you enough credit to buy whatever it is you are hoping on purchasing.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

Yes you should say please reconsider not just ask for a manual review

Message 9 of 10
iCoop
Regular Contributor

That's weird OP, I was just approved instanly for $700 for the Apple finance card through Barclay and I have 2 baddies on my report from paid and closed accounts that were up to 120+ days late. Both were closed around 2 years ago. I called the recon number and the rep gave me a CLI to $2000. So I'm trying to figure out why such a change of heart when you said you only have 1 baddie... perhaps has to do with how many credit cards you have opened recently.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.