cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Did It Again...Another Payment Hold...

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Barclays Did It Again...Another Payment Hold...

So made another 900 pmt on my Barclays card and they put another hold on it.  I sent them the below.  I don't care if they close my account, as this is insanity.  

I have had credit cards with Citi, Amex, BofA, First Premier, Orchard Bank Crap One...never a single payment hold on any of those accounts and I spent 60k with Amex on my Platinum Card ...

So, I sent Barclays this fax:

TIME SENSITIVE REQUEST – ACT NOW!

Pages: 1 of 1

Date: 10/01/12
Via Facimile 302-255-8301

Barclay's
Executive Office
PO Box 8885
Wilmington, DE 19899

RE: ACCT # ....

To Whom It May Concern:
I opened the above account in Nov 2011. 

On 9/27/12 I made a payment of 900.00
On 10/1/12 I made a payment of 900.00

My account is in perfect standing

Both of those the above payments are on holds. My account is useless.

I will be going to the LA Times as a friend of mine works in the editorial department and

I will be taking out an article in LA times Money Section. The article will state that it is
clearly stated in Barclays consumer credit cards terms & conditions they make place a
hold on payments received on their consumer credit cards, but the article will ask the
mere question, why should a card holder deal with a credit card company that places
holds for no “logical” reason and renders consumers credit accounts with this financial
institution useless.

In addition, I will explain in the article that I was an American Express Platinum card
member and spent 60k on that card and never once had a payment hold. The article will
go on to say the most embarrassing moment was when I was out at a client dinner and
my Barclay's card declined because there was a hold on a payment that I was not aware
of. The customer service rep nor supervisor could remove the hold and told me I was
**bleep** out of luck. The article will conclude with, if you don't want an embarrassing
moment at a restaurant where your financial institution will do nothing to help you,
bring your American Express card.

If both holds are removed by 10/03/12, I will not go to the LA Times.

Thank you,

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

Re: Barclays Did It Again...Another Payment Hold...

Well, if you're gonna go to the LA Times, you may want to mention that Capital One and GEMB both due this as a matter of course, especially if more than one payment is made in a billing period. 

When I complained to Cap One, they were rude, but took off the hold.

When I complained to GEMB, they said they did it because it's in the agreement, and because they can (**bleep**?!!) and balance chased me down to $100. 

Barclay's is not alone in this practice. 

In the garden until May 2022!!
Message 2 of 40
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Another reason why Barclay doesn't fit my life style.I want credit cards that make life a bit easier not more stressful.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 3 of 40
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Going to a newspaper about it is overkill.

Just close the account, and move on to a different card, Simple as that.

Making threats to a CC company is only going to get your account closed.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 40
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

What am I missing?  Don't they make fees on the purchases that go through their cards?  

Why would they want to put holds on mid statement payments and therefore limit their income?

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 5 of 40
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Is this in their apple visa card??
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 6 of 40
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

So made another 900 pmt on my Barclays card and they put another hold on it.  I sent them the below.  I don't care if they close my account, as this is insanity.  

I have had credit cards with Citi, Amex, BofA, First Premier, Orchard Bank Crap One...never a single payment hold on any of those accounts and I spent 60k with Amex on my Platinum Card ...

So, I sent Barclays this fax:

TIME SENSITIVE REQUEST – ACT NOW!

Pages: 1 of 1

Date: 10/01/12
Via Facimile 302-255-8301

Barclay's
Executive Office
PO Box 8885
Wilmington, DE 19899

RE: ACCT # ....

To Whom It May Concern:
I opened the above account in Nov 2011. 

On 9/27/12 I made a payment of 900.00
On 10/1/12 I made a payment of 900.00

My account is in perfect standing

Both of those the above payments are on holds. My account is useless.

I will be going to the LA Times as a friend of mine works in the editorial department and

I will be taking out an article in LA times Money Section. The article will state that it is
clearly stated in Barclays consumer credit cards terms & conditions they make place a
hold on payments received on their consumer credit cards, but the article will ask the
mere question, why should a card holder deal with a credit card company that places
holds for no “logical” reason and renders consumers credit accounts with this financial
institution useless.

In addition, I will explain in the article that I was an American Express Platinum card
member and spent 60k on that card and never once had a payment hold. The article will
go on to say the most embarrassing moment was when I was out at a client dinner and
my Barclay's card declined because there was a hold on a payment that I was not aware
of. The customer service rep nor supervisor could remove the hold and told me I was
**bleep** out of luck. The article will conclude with, if you don't want an embarrassing
moment at a restaurant where your financial institution will do nothing to help you,
bring your American Express card.

If both holds are removed by 10/03/12, I will not go to the LA Times.

Thank you,

Oh for the love of God...

Threatening a CCC by (gasp!) running to a newspaper?

Apologies in advance is what I am about to say seems harsh, but this reeks of tantrum. You will be wasting your time and money doing this.

I am on record as opposing the holds you describe, but in reality, they have every right to do this. If their business practices do not suit you, move on to another CC.

CHOICE...it is front-and-center in the business world and your ready-made remedy in this situation.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 7 of 40
FrugalRican
Blogger

Barclays: Oh, it's just the newspaper. Nobody reads those anymore. Now if he had threatened with social media...

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 40
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

Barclays: Oh, it's just the newspaper. Nobody reads those anymore. Now if he had threatened with social media...

Smiley Very Happy

Poster would probably be subjected to the same scorn, but it would be far more amusing for both sides involved.

I just don't understand the sense of entitlement that has gripped (and choked the economy within) our American society. Since when are we entitled to have our available credit reinstated on OUR timetable? The lender is the one taking the risk here, not the borrower. We would all do well to remember that when we whine about the terms and conditions WE AGREED TO when we were afforded the PRIVILEGE of unsecured credit.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 9 of 40
TheConductor
Established Contributor

I just don't understand the sense of entitlement that has gripped (and choked the economy within) our American society. Since when are we entitled to have our available credit reinstated on OUR timetable? The lender is the one taking the risk here, not the borrower. We would all do well to remember that when we whine about the terms and conditions WE AGREED TO when we were afforded the PRIVILEGE of unsecured credit.

This. This. A hundred times this.

@Andy77, I read your prior thread and bit my tongue to avoid saying exactly this.

The lender is taking the risk here, extending you credit on nothing more than a promise to pay. And with terms you signed on the dotted (or digital) line to agree to.

You ask for them to have a logical reason to hold your payment, but to be perfectly frank you have given them that logical reason.

I wrote a scoring algorithm for a major mortgage collection company, and I have been privy to a couple of non-FICO scoring algorithms for the revolving-credit world as well, so while non-disclosure binds me from going into detail on how those algorithms intepret risk (and while you can see that said knowledge has not prevented me from making my own ill-advised mistake recently), I can tell you this much:

Your behavior in getting a credit-line increase, immediately charging up to $25 shy of it, and then proceeding to oscillate between your CLI and CLI minus 900 every week, is a giant red flag for risk.

What every scoring model is attempting to identify is patterns.  Patterns that correlate strongly with risk.  The pattern of your spending and usage on this card is going to get you sorted into one of two likely buckets:

1. CASHFLOW CONSTRAINED - Someone who does not have sufficient money to handle all of their debts and obligations. You see this a lot when someone has been laid off, for example. Bumping against the CLI ceiling, and spending back up to it as soon as any payment is made.

2. FRAUD PREP - A common credit fraud tactic is to use a card responsibly for a while to get it up to a decent credit limit, then make a  "hot" payment that bounces and run away with the proceeds. To their model, you may look like someone who is shoving their limit up just so they can get a bigger haul when they're ready to ditch the account and cash in.

From the lender's point of view, however annoying it may be to you, it's sensible and logical to hold your money until the payment has FULLY cleared.  Typically, that's 2 to 4 business days although it can sometimes be longer. It would not surprise me if the first hold lifts today, and that won't be because you threatened them with bad publicity but simply because the money is finally officially in their hands.

If you want to understand a lender, think like a lender.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.