cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Did It Again...Another Payment Hold...

tag
compassion101
Established Contributor

Re: Barclays Did It Again...Another Payment Hold...

I'm certain that the LA Times threat will get them to do what you want Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 40
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Agree 1 million times over with every1's posts.  Why do you pay weekly and charge back up immediatly after payment goes through? why not use another card, thie card you have offers no rewards.  Your behavior is very risky and you're try to fast to gain a big CL.  Slow down, use a diff card PIF Barclay's and chill a little.  If you don't like Barclay's  rules close the card down and move on.  Credit is a privalage  not a right as are most things in life.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 22 of 40
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

OP has been advised to chill out. He is doing things that scream risk to the CC issuers. Everyday there is a new thread about it:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Citi-and-CLI-Waiting-Game/m-p/1619670#M446904

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclays-said-this/m-p/1605664#M442264

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclays-Nervous-of-CLD/m-p/1602954

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclays-I-could-not-be-more-mad/m-p/1613528

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 23 of 40
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@compassion101 wrote:

I'm certain that the LA Times threat will get them to do what you want Smiley Wink

If that means closing the account then I would have to agree. Thats pretty bold to send a fax like that. Smiley Indifferent

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 24 of 40
jsucool76
Super Contributor

popcorn.gif

Message 25 of 40
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I always wonder about posters who tell of these kinds of problems.   I always just push payments from my bank's billpay, and these are payments in the thousands of dollars.  They go through every time, on the day that USAA says it will (or faster), and there is no hold.  I can even pay more than my current balance if I want.  It just gets pushed through.  Its a far better method than trying to make payments through the web interface of your Barclay's card, and definately insurmountably better than sending paper checks.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 26 of 40
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

I always wonder about posters who tell of these kinds of problems.   I always just push payments from my bank's billpay, and these are payments in the thousands of dollars.  They go through every time, on the day that USAA says it will (or faster), and there is no hold.  I can even pay more than my current balance if I want.  It just gets pushed through.  Its a far better method than trying to make payments through the web interface of your Barclay's card, and definately insurmountably better than sending paper checks.

I very much prefer to pay through the cards website if I can do so. The only time I do not is if it is a small amount. I use Capital One for that since they give 20 cents for each bill payment. Anyway, doing it throught the cards website is better in my opinion because I can keep the money earning 6% for at most another four days. Like if the date falls on a Monday, I would have to send it Friday so it gets there Monday. With the website, I do it on Monday and that is the day it arrives. I am not sure why Andy77 has not been able to get the hold removed, as I got it removed in less than a minute with the frontline customer service representative. I probably got the hold because I just got a credit limit increase and charged up to within $50 of the limit and paid it all at once. I had a history of large payments with them though, so maybe that helped to release it.

Message 27 of 40
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

I very much prefer to pay through the cards website if I can do so. The only time I do not is if it is a small amount. I use Capital One for that since they give 20 cents for each bill payment. Anyway, doing it throught the cards website is better in my opinion because I can keep the money earning 6% for at most another four days. Like if the date falls on a Monday, I would have to send it Friday so it gets there Monday. With the website, I do it on Monday and that is the day it arrives. I am not sure why Andy77 has not been able to get the hold removed, as I got it removed in less than a minute with the frontline customer service representative. I probably got the hold because I just got a credit limit increase and charged up to within $50 of the limit and paid it all at once. I had a history of large payments with them though, so maybe that helped to release it.

I like to use the cap1 site to pay my cap1 card (pull from card site) since my available credit usually updated next business day. 

Message 28 of 40
Desksharp

I can see the card user frustration. Barclays Rewards cards encourages cardholders to use their card by offering multiple reward points for various purchases. So, if your monthly shopping expenses for groceries, fuel (for vehicles) and ultilities (phones, cable, electric) is $2100 a month, you would receive around 3400 - 5000 rewards points. That's the bait Barclays uses to get the cardholder to use their credit card. However, when you submit a large payment of $2100 to pay off the balance to avoid finance charges they put a hold on your funds for 7 to 10 days regardless if it's an electronic ACH payment (their site or your bank) or a money order by mail. 

Why place such a hold of $2100 on your credit limit (rendering the card useless if your credit limit is $2500)? ACH payments via banks takes two days to clear so why the extended hold? The responses here say it's to protect the lender from fraud or default...... REALLY! The lender has done a credit check on the cardholder and approved a spending limit based on that credit check, so why the extended hold? My guess is they are hindering your ability to amass large rewards points within a billing cycle. 

Yes, the card user can use other credit cards, but Barclays is playing games with their rewards programs. They say there are no limits to the amount of points you can earn, no expiration etc.. but that's not true. They limit the amount of rewards points you can earn by putting a hold on your credit card payment (which has obviously cleared), which prevents the card user from using the credit card because the credit limit does not reflect payment made.

Message 29 of 40
webrobby
Established Member

I can speak from experience on this matter.  When I started with Barclays in 2008 I had a $2,000 limit and now i have the same card in 2013 with $21,000 revolving limit and World Elite status with NPSL.

Just a few months ago when I had a creditor falsely put a 30 day late on my report - Barclays started holding all my payments.   When I got that creditor to fix their report and the 30 day late went away the holds went away. I am convinced this is an automated system that has gauged your risk level to be higher than it was when the card was opened.

Now that I have a clean report Barclays and I are good again.  For what its worth they never responded to any of my letters requesting a reason or help with the held payments.  They were all within my payment history at the time (about $6,000 each) and so I knew it wasn't from lack of experience with the payments it was all derived from my risk factor on the credit reports of me trending towards slow pay.

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.