Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays..Hit or Miss!!

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Barclays..Hit or Miss!!

I've been seeing ALOT of Barclays threads regarding denials,unsuccessful recons,clds. And I just felt like we need to reiterate the nuisances of Barclays so newbies won't be wasting hps.

1) Revolving History- they like to see at least 6 months to 1 yr of positive cc history. The Apple Rewards,NFL and Rewards MasterCard for Avg Credit are their most lenient cards.

2)New Accounts/Inqs - I am seeing ALOT of denials based on this. They absolutely hate a lot of new accounts and inqs. Some analysts look at past 6 months,some past year. I have personally had both. So if you app with a lot of new accounts,be prepared to recon and have a good explanation on deck.

3)Utilization - Absolutely make sure util is low when applying. This is another pet peeve of theirs. I was denied before because I showed balances on TWO cards.I believe my total util was like 25%.

4)Recon Recon Recon - they are known for their willingness to recon denials by computer. So if denied, call backdoor analyst. They also have a 24/7 line. Sometimes it takes more than one call. Many have called multiple times before they got an approval. All depends on who you talk to.

If anyone has anything else to add,please do.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays Uniqueness!

Very helpful..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 44
bengalikejenga
Regular Contributor

you speak the Truth Baller.... Preach. Smiley Happy

Ex681 Tu694 EQ708
Message 3 of 44
onstar
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
1) Revolving History- they like to see at least 6 months to 1 yr of positive cc history. The Rewards MasterCard for Avg Credit is their most lenient card. So if you have a thin file, this is the card for you.

2)New Accounts/Inqs - I am seeing ALOT of denials based on this. They absolutely hate a lot of new accounts and inqs. Some analysts look at past 6 months,some past year. I have personally had both. So if you app with a lot of new accounts,be prepared to recon and have a good explanation on deck.

These are especially true if you're trying to get multiple cards from Barclay. They like to see a good revolving history with Barclay before issuing a second card.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 4 of 44
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@onstar wrote:

@baller4life wrote:
1) Revolving History- they like to see at least 6 months to 1 yr of positive cc history. The Rewards MasterCard for Avg Credit is their most lenient card. So if you have a thin file, this is the card for you.

These are especially true if you're trying to get multiple cards from Barclay. They like to see a good revolving history with Barclay before issuing a second card.

Interesting. I must be an outlier then because my first card was the Rewards MasterCard for Avg Credit last January and they approved me for Sallie Mae in May.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 5 of 44
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@onstar wrote:

Exactly why I spent 16 months with the craptastic Apple (no rewards) Financing card prior to my app for Sallie Mae... which was an instant approval for 5 times the limit I had with the Apple card.

They care a lot more about history with them than with someone else.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 44
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

I apped for the US Airways Visa.  Called the recon number twice.  Both times, told that my 6 months experience with my current Barclay's card is not enough, they need to see more experience to issue another card.  I also didn't use the card the first 3 moths I had it.  My util is only 4%, but may also have to do with the 11 inquiries 6 months ago.

EQ (3/24/17): 820 TU (3/24/17): 799 EX (3/24/17): 806
Message 7 of 44
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays..Hit or Miss!!

That's bull! I got RMC March 2014, Ring in August. It really depends on the analyst!

Message 8 of 44
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

I was told just the other day that they are looking for 6 months and then you are welcome to apply for more products.

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 9 of 44
baller4life
Super Contributor

They very well may be tightening up on that now.Policies are certainly ever changing. Thanks for the input.

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.