Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Payment Issue

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays Payment Issue

@Anonymous wrote:

Why not do it online? I agree with what other person said about reading your agreement too.

Huntington doesn't do online BTs, you actually have to call them and give them all the info and then they mail paper checks.  Trust me, I wanted to do it online and I was hoping for them to send it electronically.

I think that since they only started issuing credit cards not that long ago that they haven't yet invested into the tech/software to make it completely automated.  I imagine in the future it will be possible to do it online.

I had to jump through hoops to get the card in the first place.  I used a new address, not associated with my credit report, so I had to do verification.  For them they want paper documents for that, you can't just simply answer the questions like you do with most banks.  This, I imagine, will change in the future too.  I didn't mind doing so, since usually when banks ask for you to do that you are already approved, they just need to make sure it is you.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 11 of 22
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You need to be a little clearer in your communication. First you mentioned that Huntington mailed the check, then you said that barclay sent the check. In which direction was this balance transfer? The facts are completely unclear.

And the other contributor is 100% right that you should always make the minimum payment and not rely on a balance transfer to zero anything out. There is another step you should have taken here, an you are blaming it on the bank.

+1 and in any BT. they always state make your payment regardless. at least the minimum. They are not caring what the post office does. it takes time and people to handle paper checks. so i hope you at least paid the minimum.

Yes, I do understand that and did make a payment anyway!  It does take people to do so and they do state they post on the day they receive the payment, however the PO doesn't deliver mail on Sundays....  How could it post on a Sunday, since the PO doesn't deliver on Sundays?  If it were electronically done, then I wouldn't have an issue with what they did by posting on a Sunday, knowing that I couldn't dispute anything.

I took all the steps needed.  Since I knew the exact amount and that that amount would not change, using the exact amount in this situation was certainly acceptable.  I did also monitor the account and make a payment when it hadn't posted on the 18th. 

I will say that the advice given has been informational and maybe I shouldn't have paid the full amount by the BT and done an online payment, but I also shouldn't have had to, since I did know the exact amount and I monitored the account and submitted a payment anyway.  (I actually do have the money that I could have paid the previous balance in full, I just simply didn't want to sacrfice the use of that money.  The money I have in my mutual fund could pay off all the balances that I have and still have had remaining money left over.  However, there would be a penalty for doing so.)

I am only faulting them for posting the payment on a Sunday, for a paper payment, since the Post Office doesn't deliver on Sundays.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 12 of 22
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Is it possible they received the check on Friday and then it took two days for the payment to be processed/posted? 

If it really bothers you, try calling Barclays; they might be willing to waive the interest charges. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 13 of 22
taxi818
Super Contributor

First you need to get out of your mind when the mail was delivered. it has nothing to do with when they posted it to your account. Had you driven it your self to the front door on sunday. it still would not have posted that day. The fact is it did not post until after your statement. as others stated. You can call and see if they can goodwill the interest. If not . simply pay it. and move on. You did have a balance on your account regardless of BT or whatever. and it was not paid by statement. hence . Interest. nothing wrong with that. non of us like it . but that is the cost of borrowing money. Just call em up. see what they can do. if they can help you great. If not. Pay and move on. my 2cents.

Message 14 of 22
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@TiggerDat wrote:

I made four payments, not electronic.  Amex, CapitalOne, Discover, and Barclays.  The Barclays due date was the 18th, which was a Saturday.  By Monday the payment had not posted, neither had it done so by Tuesday.  However, I just checked my account and saw that the payment did post.  It posted on Sunday, the 19th.  So correct me if I am wrong, but the post office doesn't deliver mail on Sundays.  How can they post on a Sunday, if the Post Office doesn't deliver on that day?  Doesn't that mean that they had to have gotten the payment by on Saturday?

The payment was for the full amount due on my account.  Since they posted it on Sunday, I got charged with interest.  Should I ask for them to credit my account for the interest?

It just seems a bit shady to me.  It also seems like it is simple logic.  No Sunday delivery, cant post on Sunday, since it was a paper check. 

(Yes, I know I can pay online, yes I know I can pay electronically from my bank account, however this was a balance transfer and Huntington only mails checks for some reason.)

I also scheduled an online payment on Saturday when I saw the payment hadn't posted.  Amex posted my payment on Saturday and I don't know when the other two posted it.

You can dispute the late payment. However, on your first try, be polite. If your due date is on a weekend, you may have the law on your side. You can ask them to waive the interest fees as the weekend posting date was not in your control.

Anyways, for legal purposes, here you go, from the CARD act, 2009:

SEC. 106. RULES REGARDING PERIODIC STATEMENTS. (a) IN GENERAL.—Section 127 of the Truth in Lending Act (15 U.S.C. 1637) is amended by adding at the end the following: ‘‘(o) DUE DATES FOR CREDIT CARD ACCOUNTS.—‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—The payment due date for a credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan shall be the same day each month. ‘‘(2) WEEKEND OR HOLIDAY DUE DATES.—If the payment due date for a credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan is a day on which the creditor does not receive or accept payments by mail (including weekends and holidays), the creditor may not treat a payment received on the next business day as late for any purpose.’’.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ24/pdf/PLAW-111publ24.pdf

It'll be better if other members could tell OP whether (s)he has the rights to dispute what Barclays did as right or wrong. 

Message 15 of 22
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@TiggerDat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why not do it online? I agree with what other person said about reading your agreement too.

Huntington doesn't do online BTs, you actually have to call them and give them all the info and then they mail paper checks.  Trust me, I wanted to do it online and I was hoping for them to send it electronically.

I think that since they only started issuing credit cards not that long ago that they haven't yet invested into the tech/software to make it completely automated.  I imagine in the future it will be possible to do it online.

I had to jump through hoops to get the card in the first place.  I used a new address, not associated with my credit report, so I had to do verification.  For them they want paper documents for that, you can't just simply answer the questions like you do with most banks.  This, I imagine, will change in the future too.  I didn't mind doing so, since usually when banks ask for you to do that you are already approved, they just need to make sure it is you.

I get automated BT checks for my Voice literally EVERY week. But I haven't looked to see if it was available online. About to use a great 1% fee Barclays offer tomorrow...free money!

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Moral of the story: never pay so close to the deadline and don't cut it that close.

Message 17 of 22
paramed3
Regular Contributor

Payments Late and when

If I have a payment due on the 15th and I make it on the 16th or 17th is that considered late to where it would cost you a lot of FICO points ? Someone with my credit card said Lord no you have to be 30 days over the due date to be late like that. 

Which is right. I do not want to ever be late in my life and check my CC and installments 3 or 4 times to make sure things clear. Any sure ways to pay to know you have instant payment. I use online on most. That does not do it. You have to wait until the online clears even thought you are paying straight out of your bank account.

Thanks

Paramed3

Starting FICO Score 2007: >> >> 533 -- God those were some Dark Days !!
Current >>>> 9-29-15 - (Experian 800 FICO-8 - (Equifax 798) - ( Transunion 808 )FICO Goals: 820-830 For all 3 or above
Ultimate Fico 850 x 3 Even if for a week Just to say I crawled out of the sewer and trust me it was the pits. I could not borrow a cent
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Payments Late and when

There is no such thing as instant payment. Its always at minimum 24 hours and sometimes a few days. The key here is to pay ahead of time.

Message 19 of 22
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Payments Late and when

@Anonymous wrote:

There is no such thing as instant payment. Its always at minimum 24 hours and sometimes a few days. The key here is to pay ahead of time.

This exactly.  While some lenders like Citi, USAA or Comenity immediately display a decrease of the balance by the amount that is paid online (if made before the cut-off timeframe), the payment remains pending until it clears on the other side.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.