Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Payment Issue

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Barclays Payment Issue

I made four payments, not electronic.  Amex, CapitalOne, Discover, and Barclays.  The Barclays due date was the 18th, which was a Saturday.  By Monday the payment had not posted, neither had it done so by Tuesday.  However, I just checked my account and saw that the payment did post.  It posted on Sunday, the 19th.  So correct me if I am wrong, but the post office doesn't deliver mail on Sundays.  How can they post on a Sunday, if the Post Office doesn't deliver on that day?  Doesn't that mean that they had to have gotten the payment by on Saturday?

The payment was for the full amount due on my account.  Since they posted it on Sunday, I got charged with interest.  Should I ask for them to credit my account for the interest?

It just seems a bit shady to me.  It also seems like it is simple logic.  No Sunday delivery, cant post on Sunday, since it was a paper check. 

(Yes, I know I can pay online, yes I know I can pay electronically from my bank account, however this was a balance transfer and Huntington only mails checks for some reason.)

I also scheduled an online payment on Saturday when I saw the payment hadn't posted.  Amex posted my payment on Saturday and I don't know when the other two posted it.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays Payment Issue

Wait- you balance transferred funds from a Barclaycard to another card? Barclay has it listed within articles on their own website (Ring) that they consider poor financial behavior to be balance transferring from Barclay's to another card. It's done now, I would avoid doing it again to minimize setting up a red flag with them.

Perhaps someone else can speak to the payment part. I pay Barclay's weeks before my due date so I can't speak to that.

Message 2 of 22
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

How do they know?  Especially since it was a paper check.

Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 22
NRB525
Super Contributor

@TiggerDat wrote:

I made four payments, not electronic.  Amex, CapitalOne, Discover, and Barclays.  The Barclays due date was the 18th, which was a Saturday.  By Monday the payment had not posted, neither had it done so by Tuesday.  However, I just checked my account and saw that the payment did post.  It posted on Sunday, the 19th.  So correct me if I am wrong, but the post office doesn't deliver mail on Sundays.  How can they post on a Sunday, if the Post Office doesn't deliver on that day?  Doesn't that mean that they had to have gotten the payment by on Saturday?

The payment was for the full amount due on my account.  Since they posted it on Sunday, I got charged with interest.  Should I ask for them to credit my account for the interest?

It just seems a bit shady to me.  It also seems like it is simple logic.  No Sunday delivery, cant post on Sunday, since it was a paper check. 

(Yes, I know I can pay online, yes I know I can pay electronically from my bank account, however this was a balance transfer and Huntington only mails checks for some reason.)

I also scheduled an online payment on Saturday when I saw the payment hadn't posted.  Amex posted my payment on Saturday and I don't know when the other two posted it.

Ok, first thing you do, you go to the paperwork that you got from Huntington which came with the mailed offer to write the BT checks. Do you have that paperwork out now? Ok, look in the fine print. See where it says something to the effect of "You need to make your regular payment to any card you intend to BT. We cannot guarantee that your BT will be processed at all, or how many weeks or days it will take to process it. it may never process. We have the option to reject the balance transfer request."

Learning opportunity: When running a BT offer of any kind, paper, electronic, whatever, you ALWAYS want to send your minimum payment in anyhow, from a real checking account that you control. Don't assume that BT will appear / complete at any time in the future. If it posts, ever, count it as a win. If not, if it does not post, that should not be a surprise.

Also, when writing a BT check, don't get cute and try to exactly pay your balance. It'll never work, there's always something changing your balance up or down. Make the BT for something less than you know the balance will be, leaving something on the old account so your minimum payment that is sent electronically has something to chew on.

Good luck!

No.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 22
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Barclays sent them the check directly, so it should look like a check from an online banking transaction, not a BT check. 

The balance wouldn't and won't change, since I stopped using the card for the time being.  (I am currently in China and I don't use credit cards here that often.)  So, no wasn't trying to be cute or anything, just knew exactly what the balance was and would be.

I don't normally do BTs for myself.  I just didn't want to have to transfer money from China until later.  I am a little short on funds right now since I just bought a home and paid for it in cash and I didn't want to dip into my mutual fund.  There would be a fee for doing so and I would rather take the risk that the fund will grow in better ways than the fee for the BT. 

Still the whole Sunday thing is bothersome, in my heart I know they delayed the payment. 

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to be a little clearer in your communication. First you mentioned that Huntington mailed the check, then you said that barclay sent the check. In which direction was this balance transfer? The facts are completely unclear.

And the other contributor is 100% right that you should always make the minimum payment and not rely on a balance transfer to zero anything out. There is another step you should have taken here, an you are blaming it on the bank.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Meant to say NRB525 but couldn't see your screen name when I was posting. Good points, NRB525.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not do it online? I agree with what other person said about reading your agreement too.

Message 8 of 22
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You need to be a little clearer in your communication. First you mentioned that Huntington mailed the check, then you said that barclay sent the check. In which direction was this balance transfer? The facts are completely unclear.

And the other contributor is 100% right that you should always make the minimum payment and not rely on a balance transfer to zero anything out. There is another step you should have taken here, an you are blaming it on the bank.

Oops sorry, made a mistake in what I said, Huntingtod mailed them the check directly from Huntington, no BT transfer checks.

Message 9 of 22
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

+1 and in any BT. they always state make your payment regardless. at least the minimum. They are not caring what the post office does. it takes time and people to handle paper checks. so i hope you at least paid the minimum.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.