Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Proactively Replacing Cards from Data Breaches

tag
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Barclays Proactively Replacing Cards from Data Breaches

I just received an e-mail from my bill payment service that Barclays had updated the account number for my Sallie Mae Mastercard.  I also noticed when I logged into Barclays that I had a new account number.  When I called customer service, I was told Barclays is proactively issuing new cards that had been compromised by data breaches.  I then determined mine was being replaced because it had been used at a division of Albertson's that was breached recently.  I would have liked to receive an e-mail or other message from Barclays itself when the new card was issued, but I appreciate them being proactive.

I wanted to forward this to everyone just so they are aware.  If you are affected, your old card remains valid until the new card arrives.  Fortunately I had no automatic payments attached to this card.  Other than updating Amazon, it is no huge deal to me - just a surprise.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclays Proactively Replacing Cards from Data Breaches

Glad to see that Barclay's is front & center moving ahead with that safety action quickly. Makes one kinda wonder after last years Target debacle what's in store this Holiday Season. Smiley Indifferent

Message 2 of 7
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Barclays is really good with that; they replaced my Reward MC right after the Target breech came to light; I didn't have to ask them or anything. My account was immediately updated with a new number although my old card still worked until I got my new one. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 3 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

Barclays is really good with that; they replaced my Reward MC right after the Target breech came to light; I didn't have to ask them or anything. My account was immediately updated with a new number although my old card still worked until I got my new one. 

Yes, it is in their interest to be proactive, they are responsible for any fraudulent charges.  Don't know why people keep giving issuers praise for their self-interest.

Message 4 of 7
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, it is in their interest to be proactive, they are responsible for any fraudulent charges.  Don't know why people keep giving issuers praise for their self-interest.

Right, this is like touting the efficacy of the BCE.  It's mind boggling.

Message 5 of 7
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

They replaced both of mine. They didn't even send an email or anything, though.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 6 of 7
Tuxedo77
Contributor

That's great, but be cautious. If you bought anything from the rewardsboost portal with pending points, you'll lose them during the transition. Happened to me with the Target breach.
AMEX: PRG, EDP - Citi: Double Cash WMC - Barclay's: Sallie Mae WMC, RMC - Discover: IT - Chase: Freedom
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.