Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Recon Denied

tag
xthatgamerguyx
Regular Contributor

Barclays Recon Denied

I've gotten my FICO scores to the 621 area and thought I would app for a Barlcays card on the Apple site.

I was denied and call for a recon. A very nice gentleman advised me that Barclays doesnt necessarily look at credit scores. He said I had too many inquiries (22 from 2 months of car shopping earlier this year) and that an auto lease that was completed over 3 years ago was showing 6 lates - and it was mainly that item keeping from being approved.

Go figure. Guess I'll keep rebuilding.

February 2012: 480 across the board (before I found this site and started working on my scores)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Scores: TU FAKO: 543 (06/16/2012) EX FAKO: 547 (06/16/2012) EQ FAKO: 528 (06/16/2012)
Current Scores:TU FICO: 639 (11/20/2012) EQ FICO: 617 (11/20/2012)
TU FAKO: 606 (8/30/2012) EX FAKO: 574 (09/04/2012) EQ FAKO: 564 (09/30/2012)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
DVH1980
Contributor

Re: Barclays Recon Denied

Do you have any other trade lines/credit cards?

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 2 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@xthatgamerguyx wrote:

I've gotten my FICO scores to the 621 area and thought I would app for a Barlcays card on the Apple site.

I was denied and call for a recon. A very nice gentleman advised me that Barclays doesnt necessarily look at credit scores. He said I had too many inquiries (22 from 2 months of car shopping earlier this year) and that an auto lease that was completed over 3 years ago was showing 6 lates - and it was mainly that item keeping from being approved.

Go figure. Guess I'll keep rebuilding.

Did you explain that the inq were from car shopping? 6 lates are a lot, but if they were over 3 yrs ago and you have positive history since then, it seems like they'd be okay with it.

What else is showing on your CR? Do you have any positive TLs? What's your util? It could be that you just need to show more positive history before they'll approve you.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I'd call back for a 2nd recon.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 21
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

6 lates on an auto lease is a deal braker for any lender I say.

Message 5 of 21
xthatgamerguyx
Regular Contributor

I have the following:

-auto loan, 8 months no lates

-Wells Fargo secured card, 6 months, no lates

-Capital One secured card, 6 months, no lates

-AU on Sears Citi card, 3+ years old, no lates but very high util

I have one collection for fed student loans I am trying to get the balanced corrected on so I can pay. I also have a VZW collection that is paid. The rest have be.en PFD'd thanks to the help of this wonderful community

I explained to him that the inquiries were due to car shopping, and he said he understood but that, along with the lates on the lease payment (even though it was from 2009) - both were deal breakers.

He said if there were fewer inquries, he'd be able to help. Lastly he said I was on the right track. So I took the positive feed back and thanked him for his time.

On a brighter note, I have went from a TU FICO of 484 in 2/2012 to a TU FICO of 621 in 7 months.

February 2012: 480 across the board (before I found this site and started working on my scores)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Scores: TU FAKO: 543 (06/16/2012) EX FAKO: 547 (06/16/2012) EQ FAKO: 528 (06/16/2012)
Current Scores:TU FICO: 639 (11/20/2012) EQ FICO: 617 (11/20/2012)
TU FAKO: 606 (8/30/2012) EX FAKO: 574 (09/04/2012) EQ FAKO: 564 (09/30/2012)
Message 6 of 21
Jlu
Established Contributor

Nice work bringing up your scores. Trust me, the inquiries were not your reason for denial. It was the recent lates combined with the fact that you have no real history of your own with revolving credit. 

It will be worth re-applying after your own cards have hit the 1 year mark as having this was what Barclay's cited as my reason for approving me on recon at similar scores as you have even though I had over 15 inquiries and baddies reporting. 

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 7 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@xthatgamerguyx wrote:

I have the following:

-auto loan, 8 months no lates

-Wells Fargo secured card, 6 months, no lates

-Capital One secured card, 6 months, no lates

-AU on Sears Citi card, 3+ years old, no lates but very high util

I have one collection for fed student loans I am trying to get the balanced corrected on so I can pay. I also have a VZW collection that is paid. The rest have be.en PFD'd thanks to the help of this wonderful community

I explained to him that the inquiries were due to car shopping, and he said he understood but that, along with the lates on the lease payment (even though it was from 2009) - both were deal breakers.

He said if there were fewer inquries, he'd be able to help. Lastly he said I was on the right track. So I took the positive feed back and thanked him for his time.

On a brighter note, I have went from a TU FICO of 484 in 2/2012 to a TU FICO of 621 in 7 months.

Have you tried to GW the CA? Unfortunately  a paid collection is just as bad on your CR and FICO as an unpaid one.

I would say your problem is the lack of history. I got Barclay's Apple in November and my oldest CC was from June. But I had 2 PIF installment loans from a CU and bank, so there was longer history for them to see. They like to see 2 TLs over 6 mos, probably closer to a year. Also, the high util may be hurting you more than the 3 yrs aging is helping you. You might want to get removed as AU unless the cardholder plans on paying off the balance.

I would wait until November. Barclay's seems to get generous around the holidays, in my experience. Lots of people on this forum got Barclay's Apple last year and reconned for higher CLs. It was amazing how generous they were!

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 8 of 21
compassion101
Established Contributor

Try a couple of easier store cards, like target/kohls. Put something on them and pay them off. Should help you build a nicer resume to get barclays with later on.

Message 9 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@compassion101 wrote:

Try a couple of easier store cards, like target/kohls. Put something on them and pay them off. Should help you build a nicer resume to get barclays with later on.

With 2 secured cards, I wouldn't recommend lowering your AAoA on store cards. Just let your 2 CCs age and then apply for Barclay's again.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.