Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Rewards MC = Big Fat Denial + 2 Recons

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Rewards MC = Big Fat Denial + 2 Recons

So, against my better judgement, I apped and was denied for this card. My TU Fico is 675, no baddies on TU and 100% on time payments. Car loan is 2.5 years and installment loan over a year. Oldest revolver is about 6 months old. I apped two months ago and was declined as I needed at least 6 months history or so she said. So, I waited to the 2 months and apped again, same story. I need longer revolvers. I recon'd twice... same story. The weird part is they used the same report from two months ago... so I asked them to pull a new one but it still turned out the same. Why does barclays hate me so much? Lol. I've seen posts from people with lower scores and less history get approved. Thinking this is a card I don't want in my future. My INQ are also fairly low??
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays Rewards MC = Big Fat Denial + 2 Recons

Sounds like you got an automatic kick out because you have to wait 90 days between apps. Same thing happened to me. I don't think they even pulled a new report. Did you see the inquiry on TU?
Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not yet. I'm expecting to see it today, if they pulled a new one. I'm just not sure what they are looking for. I could be out here app'ing it up for cards that are out of my league but I'm not and only app'd for this card as it seems they are for average credit and good on recons.
Message 3 of 33
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Barclay's is a fickle bunch. I was denied originally for my upromise card. I, still to this day, am fairly certain that I only got it because the CA i spoke with happened to go to the same college that I was in at the time. 

Message 4 of 33
baller4life
Super Contributor

Took me 3 tries to get the Rewards MC due to lack of history. They absolutely do not care about how high your score is. They want cc history period. I lucked out with a sympathetic analyst my 3rd try with only 6 months history at the time. They really want a year. Look out to see if they pulled a new TU. I really doubt it.
Message 5 of 33
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Good point.  ^

Half the reason I took the Apple card was so it would get me in the door with Barclays.

Well, my 12th statement cuts next week.... Hoping for some 12 month auto CLI love like I got at 6 months.  I plan to app for the SM card early 2015 when these INQs that are currently dragging my TU score down age past 1 year.  I did a lot of apps for my new accounts in late 2013 and they all pulled TU... LOL

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the input. So should i have app'd for the Apple card first? Also, no inquiry yet.
Message 7 of 33
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

App for Apple card then PC down the road

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a benefit to the apple card? Visa or MC branded? Sorry, it's a card I've never looked into.
Message 9 of 33
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Is there a benefit to the apple card? Visa or MC branded? Sorry, it's a card I've never looked into.

It's Visa backed 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.