Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Rewards Mastercard

tag
fedxboy
Established Contributor

Barclays Rewards Mastercard

Applied last night, I don't know why -- maybe to diversify.   Last time I applied for anything was a student Discover in Dec 2011 and I was declined for that.

Last time I was approved for anything was in October 2011, so as of Dec 12 -- I've been gardening, but I think I wanted some Lovin!!!!

Long story short,   I checked my status and I was declined for Barclays:

We also obtained your credit score from this consumer reporting agency and used it in making our credit decision. Your credit score is a number that reflects the information in your credit report. Your credit score can change, depending on how the information in your credit report changes.
Your credit score:703
Date:04/05/2012
Scores range from a low of 300 to a high of 850

Oh well, I suspect my student loans may be a bit too high, although all in deferment!!

We regret that we're unable to approve you for a credit card account due to the following reason(s):

• Debt to income ratio too high

Well on another note, Easter is coming and MACY'S is having a sale, so I app'd there and naturally, they said APPROVED and I could start shopping now.......but I don't know my limit...

Back to gardening, I guess (pries fingers off keyboard)

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclays Rewards Mastercard

@fedxboy wrote:

Applied last night, I don't know why -- maybe to diversify.   Last time I applied for anything was a student Discover in Dec 2011 and I was declined for that.

Last time I was approved for anything was in October 2011, so as of Dec 12 -- I've been gardening, but I think I wanted some Lovin!!!!

Long story short,   I checked my status and I was declined for Barclays:

We also obtained your credit score from this consumer reporting agency and used it in making our credit decision. Your credit score is a number that reflects the information in your credit report. Your credit score can change, depending on how the information in your credit report changes.
Your credit score:703
Date:04/05/2012
Scores range from a low of 300 to a high of 850

Oh well, I suspect my student loans may be a bit too high, although all in deferment!!

We regret that we're unable to approve you for a credit card account due to the following reason(s):

• Debt to income ratio too high

Well on another note, Easter is coming and MACY'S is having a sale, so I app'd there and naturally, they said APPROVED and I could start shopping now.......but I don't know my limit...

Barclays: 866-408-4064 (Credit Analyst)

Call this number and try for a recon.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 18
flowfaster
Established Contributor

+ 1. Def call for a recon. Post back with your result.
Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 18
ccnewb23
Contributor

Definitely recon. I got denied but I called them and instantly got approved. You just need to explain your situation for the denial reasons.

AmEx Green NPSL | Barclays Rewards MC $4,200 | BofA 1-2-3 Visa $1,500 | Phillips Conoco 76 Gas Card $600 | AmEx BCE $25k | Discover IT $1,000
Message 4 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Barclay's is really good on recons. It's worth the call since you've already taken the HP. Maybe the lesson for both of us is not to app at night! Smiley Wink (Chase gave me a 2-week message, in case you didn't read my thread.)

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 18
fedxboy
Established Contributor

Well thanks for the backdoor number for a recon and the advice of others!!!!!

If I could turn back time, I would wish I didn't waste 2 inq's on either Barclays or Macy's.

I didn't realize -- Macy's is/was Kaufmann's, May CO and such.

I was doing soooo good gardening and my cards I have now are pretty much sufficient for any needs, except for the Fingerhut  

I sometimes wonder if the Fingerhut inhibits any good offers from other primes or should I close it?

It did its job of getting me my current few Primes!

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 6 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@fedxboy wrote:

Well thanks for the backdoor number for a recon and the advice of others!!!!!

If I could turn back time, I would wish I didn't waste 2 inq's on either Barclays or Macy's.

I didn't realize -- Macy's is/was Kaufmann's, May CO and such.

I was doing soooo good gardening and my cards I have now are pretty much sufficient for any needs, except for the Fingerhut  

I sometimes wonder if the Fingerhut inhibits any good offers from other primes or should I close it?

It did its job of getting me my current few Primes!

So, did you recon Barclays? They really are good on recons.

I know I was feeling the same way about my Chase app last night, but I decided to call the backdoor number since I had already taken the HP. And much to my surprise, they approved me for $3k. (not a lot, but my highest CL so far)

I know Macy's bought out Bullocks, but I thought Bloomies bought May Co. Are you blacklisted w/one of them?

I'm not sure about Fingerhut. Most people post here that the creditors you are with don't prevent you from being approved by prime CCs. But who knows? The CRs are looked at by humans, and we can't know what kind of underwriting guidelines they have, or are told to follow. Is it helping your util? If you have already gotten some prime CCs, then maybe you should close it -- unless it's making a diff w/your util. 

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

So what happened with the Barclays recon?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 18
learnin113
Established Contributor

@fedxboy wrote:

That limit will be a lovely spankin $100, so good luck with the shoppingSmiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 18
fedxboy
Established Contributor

I'm not going to do the "recon" for the Barclay's!   I know, I already took the hit.  I think I app'd to Barclays, since I read how lienient they are with credit, but I guess they didn't want me.

As for the Macy's -- the limit is $500 as far as I know.  I only opened the Macy's for the 20% off (up to $100) to buy a suit and instead I bought a duvet and sheets and now not enough left for the suit. 

Overall, it wasn't a sound credit decision -- Barclays and Macy's, since there goes another hit to my AAOA of  4 years 8 months...

I mean, last year my AAOA  was like 7-8 years and I already cut that in half,  by opening up the USBank, Chase, Amazon, and Wallys in Aug, Sept, and Oct.......

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.