Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Rewards denial even after Recon

tag
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

Barclays Rewards denial even after Recon

I finally app'd for the Barclays rewards.  My thinking was that considering my current situation and scores, that this was the other card that I was missing to rebuild.  I wanted to wait until I paid off my BOA chargeoff.  So I app'd last night for the card and it told me I would receive a letter in the mail.  I called the recon # this morning and the lady asked me some questions and I even gave her permission to pull my Experian report.  After waiting for some time, she said that I need more of a payment history with my two cards. I have a CU card that I have had since Nov '13 that I have never missed a payment on and pay in full each month, with very small balances at statement time.  I also have a Cap 1 quicksilver that I have pif each month for the past two months.  Last month my CU upgraded my card with them to an unsecured and doubled my cl to $2k.  The woman on the phone didn't really seem to care.  She wouldn't even give me a time table on how long I need to show payment history.  Even after explaining my situation with the BOA charge off and the fact I have paid it, she said Barclays can't consider me now.

Should I keep calling and recon'ing until somebody says yes to me, or is this a done deal and they will not issue me credit?  Any advice would be much appreciated.  My scores are in my signature.  Thanks!

Starting score from CU: (11/13) 520
Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Goal Score: (Oct '15) 700+
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 1 of 80
79 REPLIES 79
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Re: Barclays Rewards denial even after Recon

@celticslegends wrote:

I finally app'd for the Barclays rewards.  My thinking was that considering my current situation and scores, that this was the other card that I was missing to rebuild.  I wanted to wait until I paid off my BOA chargeoff.  So I app'd last night for the card and it told me I would receive a letter in the mail.  I called the recon # this morning and the lady asked me some questions and I even gave her permission to pull my Experian report.  After waiting for some time, she said that I need more of a payment history with my two cards. I have a CU card that I have had since Nov '13 that I have never missed a payment on and pay in full each month, with very small balances at statement time.  I also have a Cap 1 quicksilver that I have pif each month for the past two months.  Last month my CU upgraded my card with them to an unsecured and doubled my cl to $2k.  The woman on the phone didn't really seem to care.  She wouldn't even give me a time table on how long I need to show payment history.  Even after explaining my situation with the BOA charge off and the fact I have paid it, she said Barclays can't consider me now.

Should I keep calling and recon'ing until somebody says yes to me, or is this a done deal and they will not issue me credit?  Any advice would be much appreciated.  My scores are in my signature.  Thanks!

I also had the same issue when I applied for the Arrival+. I had limited credit history. I had to call to recon two times and finally on the second attempt i was approved. Don't give up! Don't let that HP go to waste!

Message 2 of 80
chazjan
Contributor

You can read my thread under credit card approvals Barclay weirdness.  If you feel strongly call back.  I probably called 6 or 7 times but I had originally gotten a congrats u r approved and then was denied.  I called and said I really wanted to get my foot in the door and wanted not to waste my HP. After many back and for the and a final no sorry I got an email later for congrats $250.00 limit small yes but at least have something to show for the HP.  I'd say be nice polite and discretely beg, haa haa u may squeek in like I did.

Message 3 of 80
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@Jaylima91 wrote:

@celticslegends wrote:

I also had the same issue when I applied for the Arrival+. I had limited credit history. I had to call to recon two times and finally on the second attempt i was approved. Don't give up! Don't let that HP go to waste!

Ok!  Do I have a certain time from in which they can keep analyzing my credit report before the HP goes to waste!  I have to run to work, but I will call the again in the morning and plead my case again!  Thanks.

Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 4 of 80
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@chazjan wrote:

You can read my thread under credit card approvals Barclay weirdness.  If you feel strongly call back.  I probably called 6 or 7 times but I had originally gotten a congrats u r approved and then was denied.  I called and said I really wanted to get my foot in the door and wanted not to waste my HP. After many back and for the and a final no sorry I got an email later for congrats $250.00 limit small yes but at least have something to show for the HP.  I'd say be nice polite and discretely beg, haa haa u may squeek in like I did.

I'm going to call them again in the morning my friend.  I will also check out your thread.  Even $250 I will take.  It was as if the woman on the phone couldn't give me a legitimate answer.  Her short responses was very strange.  I will plead and sort of beg and let them know that I want my foot in the door and have already proved myself.  Give me a shot!  

Message 5 of 80
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Data Point: If interested.

If your multi Recon calls fail to result in an overturn of the denial decision, be advised: DO NOT GIVE UP!

Let some months pass then go at them again. It's exactly what i did recently after being denied via several Recons for Sallie back in March. I was really leery pulling the trigger in July after being denied 4 months earlier. And what did that get me? An INSTANT APPROVAL! this time to my complete Surprise! Smiley Surprised (First One Actually)

So if this go round happens to go sour, and i hope that it doesn't, but if it does, just be aware of the fact Barclay's WILL REMEMBER that you wanted to do business with them enough to pester their Recon Dept more then once. I think they must keep a record of it or something.

I still haven't gotten over that amazing turnaround but from my own experience it does matter what Barclay's recon reps ask you to do. If that means trying again later, expect a different outcome next time. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 80
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Data Point: If interested.

If your multi Recon calls fail to result in an overturn of the denial decision, be advised: DO NOT GIVE UP!

Let some months pass then go at them again. It's exactly what i did recently after being denied via several Recons for Sallie back in March. I was really leery pulling the trigger in July after being denied 4 months earlier. And what did that get me? An INSTANT APPROVAL! this time to my complete Surprise! Smiley Surprised (First One Actually)

So if this go round happens to go sour, and i hope that it doesn't, but if it does, just be aware of the fact Barclay's WILL REMEMBER that you wanted to do business with them enough to pester their Recon Dept more then once. I think they must keep a record of it or something.

I still haven't gotten over that amazing turnaround but from my own experience it does matter what Barclay's recon reps ask you to do. If that means trying again later, expect a different outcome next time. Smiley Wink

Thank you for your insight and advice.  I plan on calling them again tomorrow and going from there.  If all else fails, I will wait until Jan 1st and reapply.  Once my student loans are rehabbed in 9 months and my scores are substantially up, at that time I will go for the cards that meet my criterea.  Barclays was the last one for now.  I will keep going at them!

Message 7 of 80
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

Re: (UPDATE)-Denied again- Rewards denial even after Recon

I called the recon dept with Barclays again this morning and they still won't extend me the rewards card.  I rebuttled this woman non stop and stated my case and there was nothing else for her to say besides "we still need to see more pmt history".  She wouldn't give me a time frame.  It was all very vague.  Even though I have had my card with my CU since last year she said they still distinguish between secured and unsecured.  I told her to extend me just the bare minimum cl and she said to just called back another time and to reapply.  I really pounded this woman with rebuttles and I felt a little bad after, but I was very nice, but I really didn't want to take no for an answer.  I explained further that I am rehabbing my student loans, have paid off my BOA charge off and waited specifically for this time because of where my scores are at and that I am in the kill zone for someone to apply for this card.  She really didn't have a leg to stand on.  Once she started started telling me to pay off my balances on my cards I knew she had nowhere to go, as I have no balances on my two credit cards.  

What do you guys think, should I call in a 3rd time tomorrow?  Or wait a few days?  Or maybe just wait several months and apply again?  Any further advice would be appreciated.

Message 8 of 80
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I think you are beating a dead horse.

With a CO and not yet rehabbed student loans I'm not surprised they are declining you.

I've had my Barclays Apple card a year... Perfect history and they are still SPing my credit every month.

I'm in the door with them... But am not gonna app for Arrival or Sallie Mae till my credit is where I want it to be. They pull TU which happens to be my lowest score because every creditor I have pulls TU and my score is being dragged down by some 9-12 month old INQs that will age past a year in December.

My point? I'm waiting till 2015 to app for the better Barclay cards. Could I get one now? Maybe. But I'll wait a few months till I know my chances are better.

Patience is key.
FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 9 of 80
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:
I think you are beating a dead horse.

With a CO and not yet rehabbed student loans I'm not surprised they are declining you.

I've had my Barclays Apple card a year... Perfect history and they are still SPing my credit every month.

I'm in the door with them... But am not gonna app for Arrival or Sallie Mae till my credit is where I want it to be. They pull TU which happens to be my lowest score because every creditor I have pulls TU and my score is being dragged down by some 9-12 month old INQs that will age past a year in December.

My point? I'm waiting till 2015 to app for the better Barclay cards. Could I get one now? Maybe. But I'll wait a few months till I know my chances are better.

Patience is key.

Thanks for your advice.  The card I am app'ing for is a card for fair credit.  I have read of many on here being approved for that card with co's and the like.  I have positive history on my cards for a year and have not been late on anything in almost two years and paid the co in full.  

Patience is key and I may be beating a dead horse with this one, but I think I deserve a shot to push this.  I may call one more time and push their buttons again, but worst case I will wait until Dec/Jan to app again if they shut me down with no other options.  

Message 10 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.