Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Ring vs Credit Union's cc

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Ring vs Credit Union's cc

If they have the same purchase APR and no fee balance transfer, what makes the ring something so sought after on myfico? you can even find Credit Unions that have no foreign transaction fees so all things being the same, Y U NO treat the same??

After seeing all the stories with reduce limits I know for a fact credit unions aren't"mean" like barclays either.
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays Ring vs Credit Union's cc

I agree. My SSFCU Power MC is 7.24% apr purchases and cash advances, no balance transfer fee. Quite a few CUs with aprs lower than Ring. I just feel alot of people are unaware.
Message 2 of 24
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If they have the same purchase APR and no fee balance transfer, what makes the ring something so sought after on myfico? you can even find Credit Unions that have no foreign transaction fees so all things being the same, Y U NO treat the same??

After seeing all the stories with reduce limits I know for a fact credit unions aren't"mean" like barclays either.

Funny a topic like this would show up in front of my face today of all people.Smiley Very Happy

I just was emailed a preapproval this week for a credit union card with a reasonable enough 10% APR from Alliant CU who i already have a SSL with. I joined this January and really like this CU.

I posted as much in the garden club that i might be coming out to go for this card which in affect would for me replace Barclays Ring card. Yes it has a lower APR of 8% but i don't dare bother them for a raise on it in spite of the fact i haven't any new card accounts since last year.

My confidence in them has steadily and continually declines on every new post of them chasing after cardholders to strip out their current lines because of this and that and frankly i don't intend to become another one of their victims if i have a choice.

And my recent preapproval offers a SOUND and SOLID choice with an OUTSTANDING credit union with great products and equally awesome customer service staff.

Message 3 of 24
baller4life
Super Contributor

I am loving Alliant too Magic. I hope to grab one of their cards after CSP.
Message 4 of 24
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe some people like the fact that a major bank like Barclay (unlike the great majority of the other big bank players), is offering an APR and benefits comparable to CUs, with its Ring card product?  Smiley Happy  Anyway, I'm speculating here, but just a possible thought...

Message 5 of 24
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
I am loving Alliant too Magic. I hope to grab one of their cards after CSP.

I'm still up in the air whether to go forward on it soon or wait for another new offer later.

Checked after receiving it and sure enough they did a SP only last month and nothing critical has changed so it should be good to go.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Ring at 8.25 APR and PenFed Promise at 8.24 APR. I use them both for large purchases that I want to pay over time. I am very happy with both at this time.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me not wanting to join another CU, usually requiring some kind of additional obligation such as opining a savings. The 0% transfer fee is not unique but not very common either. I use it to carry a small bal of at the most $5k for 6-9mo occasionally, for that the difference in APR is pretty small. I also enjoy knowing I could experience AA at any moment.

Ok the last one was a joke.
Message 8 of 24
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have Ring at 8.25 APR and PenFed Promise at 8.24 APR. I use them both for large purchases that I want to pay over time. I am very happy with both at this time.

What is your limit n the Ring Card?

Mine is $5K and in fact it is the same $5K that used to be with the Rewards MC first approved for in 2014 and i haven't been able to squeeze a penny from them back then for any CLI in soon to be 2 years now. What they only did offer to do was close Rewards MC and move that limit to open Ring.

No way possible to place any LARGE purchases on the Ring Card without drawing their hysteria.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What is your limit n the Ring Card?

Mine is $5K and in fact it is the same $5K that used to be with the Rewards MC first approved for in 2014 and i haven't been able to squeeze a penny from them back then for any CLI in soon to be 2 years now. What they only did offer to do was close Rewards MC and move that limit to open Ring.

No way possible to place any LARGE purchases on the Ring Card without drawing their hysteria.

It is 12.5k, CM. My largest purchase was 4k for a car down payment. I paid that over time with scheduled payments. They seem to like that.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.