Not applicable

Re: Barclays Sallie Mae Denial :(

and by "they" i mean OP
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
but what about new accounts sandi? and irish, i didn't know they had another barclay. doesn't show up on mobile, sorry.

I have another Barclay card for 7/8 months now.  And yes, quite a few new accts.  Not all have posted yet.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
but what about new accounts sandi? and irish, i didn't know they had another barclay. doesn't show up on mobile, sorry.

I know and I wasn't criticizing your post.  I see no purpose in keeping the rewards cards and if Barclays will do it, he needs to use that. CL to open the SM

Message 13 of 15
Ragelog
Established Contributor

I think I will try again tomorrow or Saturday. See what they say and then ask if possible to move the credit limit from the Rewards card to the SM. Worst case it's a no which is no worse then currently.
EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 14 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
UncleB, here's where i want to challenge you a bit:

you're waiting for better terms and conditions.. that's totall understandable, and with certain lenders (like chase) that's a must. but the barclay sallie mae has 3 APRs: 13.99%, 20.99%, and 24.99% (or is it 23.99%? i forgot)
so if you would REGULARLY qualify for 15.99%, would the be generous enough to put you on the 13.99% or do you with the 20.99%?
you PIF so that part shouldn't matter much. but i do understand principle is principle, so it's hard to accept getting a high APR if your others are low. but you can always get an APR reduction. so you can have the card you want now and earn some money and reduce the APR soon.

ALSO, you want a good SL. again, totally reasonable. but again, here's where i challenge what you said some: you can recon that upon approval (plenty of success stories on that) and also they grow with you. many people get their CLI every six months or so. if not, ask for an APR reduction and ask if you're eligible for a soft pull. if not, ask to be transferred to the right department.

so do you really wanna miss out on getting cash back today when waiting really isn't saving you or making you any money? think about it sir Smiley Wink

LOL... Thanks for keeping me honest; we all need somebody to make sure we are crossing the t's and dotting the i's Smiley Very Happy

There is a method to the madness...

When I got my Amex Green and BCP in April, I knew it was a long-shot (and basically applied for Amex to get a free Experian when they denied it).  Surprisingly, I was approved, but the BCP is at 21.9% (after promo) with a credit line of $1K.  The 60-day CLI was denied, but I plan to try again when 90 days has passed.  The documentation from Amex said my (then) credit score was 695.  I also have two COs; one will drop off in November, the other next March.

While this is certainly enough for my purposes (to use at Kroger and Publix for groceries each month and PIF) it would be nice to have a 'cushion', and to know if something came up and I needed to let a balance carry over for a few months I wouldn't get hit with huge interest fees.  (Admittedly, on $1K the difference between 21.9% and 15.9% isn't exactly huge, but it's still money).

Sallie Mae...

If I app'd for the Sallie Mae right now, it may be approved, but I'm most certain it would be at the highest rate they offer, and the credit limit probably wouldn't be the most generous.  I realize that's a lot of "probably's" there, but for me my own current 'work arounds' are less hassle than dealing with Barclay after the fact.  For me, each of my cards has a purpose; and for the Sallie Mae many of the ways I would use it overlap with the BCP anyway. 

The main draw for most folks on the Sallie Mae is grocery store purchases, gasoline, and Amazon.  For Amazon purchases, I currently just pick up gift cards for myself at Kroger (I'm there anyway) and get Fuel Points in addition to 6% off with my BCP.  I also pick up gift cards for fast food that I frequent, and I keep a Kroger store gift card 'loaded' with $40-$50 in my cup holder at all times to use at the Kroger gas station, making my fuel effectively 6% off as well (I load inside the grocery store).  My current monthly BCP bill is so far around $400, so we're not talking 'big bucks' here.

The Sallie Mae would 'streamline' my Amazon purchases a bit, but even then I would miss out on the extra fuel points, which since last fall I've been able to get $1 off every single gallon I've purchased, saving around $18 each fill up.  Also, historically I've not had the good luck with phoning a CSR that most folks seem to have, and honestly I cringe a bit at having to deal with them unless absolutely necessary.  I know that's a 'weak' reason, but for me it's a 'effort vs. reward' calculation, and honestly waiting a few months to get better terms by default beats out whatever little bit of rewards I might lose for not doing so.  Ironically, next week when the AF posts on my QS1 I will be back on the phone with Capital One to have something done; I avoid calling credit card companies, but when there's no other option I don't hesitate.

But don't worry, what I lack in being assertive I more than make up for in patience, so I will app for the Salle Mae, and when I do I will expect them to be nice!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.