cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays USAirways RECON Approval and CLI

tag
Established Member

Barclays USAirways RECON Approval and CLI

Got approved a few weeks ago for my highest limit in over 5 years at $1,500 with a RECON to the backdoor number after initially being declined.  I travel a lot for work and get reimbursed for expenses so this was huge for me.  I decided to call back this morning for a CLI in order to transfer a $1,200 balance on my B of A credit card that has been closed for a few years and I have been making on-time payments and been current for over a year on it.  I called the Barclays backdoor number and after a few questions had my limit raised to $3,000 and the balance transfer will go through in a week or so! 

Thanks Barclays and thanks myfico community!  I have been a longtime reader of the forums and credit all of you for enabling me to take control of my credit and make it work for me.  I have now gone from $0 of available credit with no open accounts to $4,700 of total credit limits and will reduce utilization to between 1% and 9% by the end of the month (per myfico recommendations).  Now I have only a few late payments on some old car leases (last one over a year ago), missed payments on the B of A (over a year ago), and the worst of all is a charge off from Continental Finance from 2007 that I can't get removed no matter how I try.  My credit card portfolio now consists of Barclays ($3,000), Capital One ($500), Capital One ($500), Credit One ($400), and Orchard Bank ($300).  Can't wait to get rid of those subprime cards but will live with them and my new Barclays for a while since I have heard they are sensitive to inquiries.  New cards can wait until next year, I have more than enough credit to cover my business travel which is all I use it for.

I will be buying a house this fall and just bought a new car with no co-signer like a grown up (finally!!).  A great year so far, I can't stop smiling and just had to share it with the group!  Thanks again myfico community!

PS, Barclays pulls Transunion.

Starting Score: EQ: 573 1-27-11
Current Score: TU: 622 EQ:631 EX: 637 (PSECU) 10-18-11
Goal Score: TU: 750 EQ 700 EX: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
umair
New Contributor

Re: Barclays USAirways RECON Approval and CLI

Congratulations.... Barclays customer service is awesome and so are their CA's... 

I recently made through their Apple card,,, 

Be careful since they have you in the system you have to be very easy with new app atleast for the next 6 months....

Good Luck !!

Message 2 of 11
jackig64
New Contributor

I too got a CLI today...When I started with the Barclays/Juniper US Airways card I had a 2k limit, I PIF last spring and had a CLD to $500.00.  About 3 weeks ago I called the Backdoor number to ask for a increase I was declined....Then bingo I logged into the account today and there was a increase from $500 to $1,200.00....I have NEVER been late with account and have had the account since 2006.  I am very happy right now with them. 

Message 3 of 11
Established Member

@jackig64 wrote:

I too got a CLI today...When I started with the Barclays/Juniper US Airways card I had a 2k limit, I PIF last spring and had a CLD to $500.00.  About 3 weeks ago I called the Backdoor number to ask for a increase I was declined....Then bingo I logged into the account today and there was a increase from $500 to $1,200.00....I have NEVER been late with account and have had the account since 2006.  I am very happy right now with them. 

jackig64, Did you carry a balance before PIF?  I don't plan on ever actually carrying a balance from one statement to another.  Hopefully that saves me from a potential CLD.  Did you have lots of inquiries?  Did they give you a reason for the CLD?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 11
jackig64
New Contributor

Yes, I had a balance prior to PIF, at that time I was putting alot of work travel expenses on the card so there always seemed to be a balance...The reason they gave for the CLI decline was they wanted to see a lower Utilization on ALL my cards.   Although I am working on the utilization, at this current moment I am at about 40% which is  not different then 3 weeks ago....I am still waiting for a lot of baddies from 2004/2005 to fall off, and then just a few "divorce" time blips from 2008 to come off.  Also, I do not have a mortgage right now.  Just several store cards. No PRime Cards... life is getting better Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
Established Member

@jackig64 wrote:

Yes, I had a balance prior to PIF, at that time I was putting alot of work travel expenses on the card so there always seemed to be a balance...The reason they gave for the CLI decline was they wanted to see a lower Utilization on ALL my cards.   Although I am working on the utilization, at this current moment I am at about 40% which is  not different then 3 weeks ago....I am still waiting for a lot of baddies from 2004/2005 to fall off, and then just a few "divorce" time blips from 2008 to come off.  Also, I do not have a mortgage right now.  Just several store cards. No PRime Cards... life is getting better Smiley Happy

Thanks for the feedback jackig64.  I am making sure to keep 0 balances on the other cards so hopefully that will keep me safe from CLD.  Sounds like we are in a simlar place, as you said "life is getting better!!"

Message 6 of 11
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Barclays is great with giving generous CLI. On the other hand i find the customer service subpar. The people in the credit department are great, when ever i wanted a cli would just call them.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Message 7 of 11
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! It sounds like you're making real progress with rebuilding your credit. Good for you! I agree... these boards have been incredibly helpful for people seeking to take charge of their credit. I've benefitted greatly from reading the various discussions that take place here.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 11
Established Member

@tinuviel wrote:

Congratulations! It sounds like you're making real progress with rebuilding your credit. Good for you! I agree... these boards have been incredibly helpful for people seeking to take charge of their credit. I've benefitted greatly from reading the various discussions that take place here.

Thanks tinuviel, when I called in for the recon (after reading tons of myfico community experiences to psyche myself up) and was approved, I was on the verge of tears.  I ruined my credit in college and turn 30 in a few weeks.  I work in a business that requires tons of travel and each company always made me pay expenses and submit for reimbursement.  My income at first was not very high and I was using my debit card for $2,000 a month in expenses per month while my wife was still in school.  This created a neverending cycle of cash flow issues.  Better credit is truly a lifechanging experience for me.

Message 9 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@28217 wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

Thanks tinuviel, when I called in for the recon (after reading tons of myfico community experiences to psyche myself up) and was approved, I was on the verge of tears.  I ruined my credit in college and turn 30 in a few weeks.  I work in a business that requires tons of travel and each company always made me pay expenses and submit for reimbursement.  My income at first was not very high and I was using my debit card for $2,000 a month in expenses per month while my wife was still in school.  This created a neverending cycle of cash flow issues.  Better credit is truly a lifechanging experience for me.

+1

And for all those who say that having credit makes you a sucker, here's the real-world example of why having good credit is useful.

Congrats on turning it all around and taking charge of your credit! Happy traveling (or as close to happy as we can get these days in air travel, lol).

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.