Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Visa

tag
awall41
Established Member

Barclays Visa

I just got approved for a Barclays Visa!  I bought an iPad at 0% intrest.  They originally approved me for 500, I called and got an immediate CLI to 1500!  The CSR was really nice and easy to work with.  My question to you guys is what is the best way to keep getting CLI with Barclays I know a lot of people that are very happy with them.  Also on a side not would you consider this a Prime Card?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Barclays Visa

I'll need to let those with experience with this card help you on the CLI's, but just two observations:

--Don't app for anything else whatsoever for a while. I think six months is what I've read, if not longer. Barclays softs new cardholders, and if they see that you continue to get new accounts, they'll close you down, bam, just like that. (Just an FYI if you hadn't seen that already.)

--There's no such thing as a "prime card", other than in the eye of the beholder. If CS is good, there's easy online access to the account, there isn't a fee for breathing in and another for breathing out, and so forth, I consider any card a prime card. IMO, Barclays is better than HSBC in the tiny (membership = 2) category of big foreign banks who have bought into the US market. Their Barnes and Noble card is great.

Congrats on the new card and the iPad.

edited to correct abbreviation confusion

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 12
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

1,000% Correct-a-mundo, Hauling!!!  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 12
vish1
Valued Contributor

@JayRizzo wrote:

1,000% Correct-a-mundo, Hauling!!!  Smiley Wink

Totally agreed.

Replied to JR instead of HTSU as I don't seem to enjoy any Barclay's discussion if JR is not there. Smiley Wink

This line from HTSU::

--There's no such thing as a "prime card", other than in the eye of the beholder. If CS is good, there's easy online access to the account, there isn't a fee for breathing in and another for breathing out, and so forth, I consider any card a prime card

Is written as-well-as it could be. I use a similar (meaner) definition. If the card company makes money from the card holder (me), it's sub prime. If they make money from the merchant (anyone but me), it's a good card card. If they give me a chunk of what they snatched from the merchant, it's a prime rewards card. Bigger the share (rewards) I get, more prime I consider the card.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 4 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@vish1 wrote:

...If the card company makes money from the card holder (me), it's sub prime. If they make money from the merchant (anyone but me), it's a good card card. If they give me a chunk of what they snatched from the merchant, it's a prime rewards card. Bigger the share (rewards) I get, more prime I consider the card.

Oooo, I like that! Blunt, and to the point. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

Some of the best explanations I've read on the definition of "prime" card.  Succint, to the point, and with no obfuscation.

I'm gonna have to borrow and plagiarize these interpretations!

Message 6 of 12
awall41
Established Member

Well then I would consider Barclays a prime card.  They have had excellent customer service so far (I ordered a 16 gig iPad and decided I wanted a 32),  No AF, No hidden fee's, the only thing is it lacks rewards points.  Overall I am very happy with them.

Message 7 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

Congrats on your IPad.  Just took a look at the Apple cards, and they're stunners!

Message 8 of 12
awall41
Established Member

Looks like I am going to wait until Jan 2012 to apply for that AMEX I've been drooling over.  Oh well I guess until then I can just sit back and garden Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@awall41 wrote:

I just got approved for a Barclays Visa!  I bought an iPad at 0% intrest.  They originally approved me for 500, I called and got an immediate CLI to 1500!  The CSR was really nice and easy to work with.  My question to you guys is what is the best way to keep getting CLI with Barclays I know a lot of people that are very happy with them.  Also on a side not would you consider this a Prime Card?

What were your scores obtaining this card?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.