cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays apple rewards closing accounts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays apple rewards closing accounts?

I just got approved for a Barclays card last week and I wanted to try for a Walmart card today but I'm scared of them closing my account. How likely will they close it if I app for that? I also had to get a inquiry for cell phone service. So there will be 2 new inquiries since the opening of the account
Message 3 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclays apple rewards closing accounts?

Barclays is very very sensitive and seems to AA ppl for no reason at all sometimes. Also you may wanna post this in the Credit Cards section , this is for the CC approvals so you may not get the response you need
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh ok! Thank you!
Message 2 of 14
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

In a vacuum, I personally dont think that 2 INQ's are anything to worry about. Not sure what your credit profile looks like as a whole. 

While it is very true that Barclay's decisions can be devoid of all reasoning, there's no way to know what they'll do until you do it. I'd wager you'd be fine. 

Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 4 of 14
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just got approved for a Barclays card last week and I wanted to try for a Walmart card today but I'm scared of them closing my account. How likely will they close it if I app for that? I also had to get a inquiry for cell phone service. So there will be 2 new inquiries since the opening of the account

What are your scores? They could if you're borderline. One thing I like about Barclaycard though is their transperancy. Call them and ask. Personally, I called and recon'd my starting limit when I got my Ring and they upped my limit by an additional few thousand dollars. You could try to do the same, at worst they will say no. And at that time you can ask if you will be impacted by applying for another credit card. I app'd for Freedom and Ring at the same time (2 years ago) and nothing happened.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores Are EXP653 TU629 EQ650. I had put that my purchase amount was for $999 and they gave me $1,500. I called 2 days later just to see if I could get more because I wanted my Util to be low and they gave me $2,000 more. I feel like I could have gotten more if I had asked but I didn't want to be greedy! lol I actually have to call them and see if I can do a address change because where I'm at is only temporary. So I can ask them when I call. It was my highest credit line until I got an increase on my Care Credit today
Message 6 of 14
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

If those are your scores right now, I'd chill on the inquiries and apps for a while. Barclay just might pull some nonsense if they see you requesting more credit. 

Give it some time, keep balances low and evaluate where your scores are after that. 

Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thank you! How about CLIs? If they see a lot of those will they close?
Message 8 of 14
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@mjb59463 wrote:

If those are your scores right now, I'd chill on the inquiries and apps for a while. Barclay just might pull some nonsense if they see you requesting more credit. 

Give it some time, keep balances low and evaluate where your scores are after that. 

This is solid advice. Do nothing for another year (at least). 

Also, word of advice for future CLI's when you get the chance to speak to someone...Always ask for more than you think you deserve...especially with Barclaycard and Amex...they will counter-offer and usually you'll reap the benefits of it. Don't sell yourself short...the worst they can do is say "no."

@I got my Ring @ 5K, called and asked for 10K...they gave me 8.5K. I would've been happy with 7.5K. I just asked for another increase a few weeks ago. They declined. When I called recon they asked what I needed it for, they proceeded to tell me they'd like to see more spend...I said I was making a lot of big purchases for some random excuse and they upp'd me to 11K. I like this about Barclaycard...they're stingy but they'll work with you if your scores support it (my TU has been above 750 for the last 2 years)...until now (bought a home).

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 9 of 14
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, thank you! How about CLIs? If they see a lot of those will they close?

If it's a CLI from other lenders, they are fine with that. It just makes you look more trustworthy. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.