cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays card denied for lack of credit history

tag
oaolivas

Barclays card denied for lack of credit history

I applied for Apple financing with the Barclays card and was denied because I don't have sufficient current credit history. The only active line of credit in my report are the student loans I am paying off and I have been making the monthly payments on time. I am also in the process of consolidating these loans. My current TU credit score is 620. With that said, I want to call the recon number but was looking for some advice in how to proceed with overturning their denial based on the info in my credit report. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Barclays card denied for lack of credit history

I never got anything from Barclays recon so can't speak from my experience. But in general, you should be polite to the analyst, and explain why you need the card, why you have such a short credit history, why you are a potentially lucrative customer. Tell them you'll be using the card a lot and paying in full. Tell them you need the first credit card and you would really want it to be with Barclays. These are things they want to hear in general.

Message 2 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If this is your first revolving line of credit then it might be difficult to get them to recon the denial.   It's certainly worth a shot though.

In the meantime you might consider applying for a store card or two to establish a revolving line of credit.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 22
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

You may also try and get a good secured card like Bank of America

to help build your credit profile, just a thought, best of luck if you do

try a recon Smiley Wink

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 4 of 22
myjourney
Super Contributor

@oaolivas wrote:

I applied for Apple financing with the Barclays card and was denied because I don't have sufficient current credit history. The only active line of credit in my report are the student loans I am paying off and I have been making the monthly payments on time. I am also in the process of consolidating these loans. My current TU credit score is 620. With that said, I want to call the recon number but was looking for some advice in how to proceed with overturning their denial based on the info in my credit report. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum 

If you are still a student then I would apply for student cards as they are more lenient on approvals 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum!

Barclays, in general wants to see rev cr history not installment loans. I would look into secured cc's or the shopping cart trick . Do you belong to a CU?
Message 6 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Welcome to the forums!!!

IMO I would try the recon, If no success go with Capital One secured. Good luck!!!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 22
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

Welcome to the forums!!!

IMO I would try the recon, If no success go with Capital One secured. Good luck!!!! Smiley Happy

+1

Also, if you have no baddies just a thin file Capital One will SOMETIMES take a $49.00 deposit for a $200.00 Credit line. I did this for a friend of mine. I would def try with them or BOA. I do hear BOA has the chance to upgrade itself overtime, while with the Capital One you are stuck with a Secured. Make sure to at least try the Recon. You already have the HP. 

Message 8 of 22
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

yes for now do the recon, good luck and let us know how it went.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 9 of 22
oaolivas

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I should note that I do have a few baddies on my report from back in 2003 and 2009 and am currently trying to re-build my credit. One was a negative checking account balance that I had completely forgotten about from 2003 (when I was a senior in high school) but had been reported this year so it was still showing up in my credit report. The other was an HSBC/Best buy credit card that had a remaining balance of $65, this was last reported in 2009 and marked as a write off. Again I've paid both these delinquincies off earlier this month. This last account still shows up as revolving on my credit report, is it possible for HSBC to re-open my account now that its been paid (given that it is still marked as revolving) and potentially use that as an existing line of credit when I recon with Barclays?

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.