oaolivas

Re: Barclays card denied for lack of credit history

I do not belong to a CU.

Message 11 of 22
myjourney
Super Contributor

@oaolivas wrote:

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I should note that I do have a few baddies on my report from back in 2003 and 2009 and am currently trying to re-build my credit. One was a negative checking account balance that I had completely forgotten about from 2003 (when I was a senior in high school) but had been reported this year so it was still showing up in my credit report. The other was an HSBC/Best buy credit card that had a remaining balance of $65, this was last reported in 2009 and marked as a write off. Again I've paid both these delinquincies off earlier this month. This last account still shows up as revolving on my credit report, is it possible for HSBC to re-open my account now that its been paid (given that it is still marked as revolving) and potentially use that as an existing line of credit when I recon with Barclays?

Not sure what you have from 2003 but it should be removed with 7 year rule dispute it with CB's 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

You can ask for that account to be reopened but the odds are very low. Almost all creditors will make you reapply rather than than reopening a closed account.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 13 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@oaolivas wrote:

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I should note that I do have a few baddies on my report from back in 2003 and 2009 and am currently trying to re-build my credit. One was a negative checking account balance that I had completely forgotten about from 2003 (when I was a senior in high school) but had been reported this year so it was still showing up in my credit report. The other was an HSBC/Best buy credit card that had a remaining balance of $65, this was last reported in 2009 and marked as a write off. Again I've paid both these delinquincies off earlier this month. This last account still shows up as revolving on my credit report, is it possible for HSBC to re-open my account now that its been paid (given that it is still marked as revolving) and potentially use that as an existing line of credit when I recon with Barclays?

Not sure what you have from 2003 but it should be removed with 7 year rule dispute it with CB's 

I agree, anything over 7 yrs from DoFD should not be reporting. Dispute it!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@LS2982 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@oaolivas wrote:

Ch 7 BK's and tax liens Smiley Happy.

        
Message 15 of 22
oaolivas

hm I'll be looking into and let you guys know what happened. Once again I appreciate everyone's help.

Message 16 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@oaolivas wrote:

Ch 7 BK's and tax liens Smiley Happy.

I agree, anything everything other than tax liens and BK's over 7 yrs from DoFD should not be reporting. Dispute it! Smiley Tongue

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 17 of 22
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

If you have paid the best buy card then you should write Good Will letter to creditor to delete the credit line from your report. Even paid collection drag your score down. I agree with LS that CapOne is your best bet.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 18 of 22
oaolivas

What is a good will letter?

Message 19 of 22
enharu
Super Contributor

@oaolivas wrote:

What is a good will letter?

This topic has answers and steps on how to do it: 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.