Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays closed my account...

tag
Datx
Valued Contributor

Barclays closed my account...

I don't know what happened, but Barclays decided to close my Apple/Barclays visa financing card. This was the card I was approved for just a bit over a month ago. I logged onto my account Friday night and there was a note in red that my account is closed. Here are the only reasons I believe why they closed the card:

-Credit limit is $1500, I charged $1100 on it (3 diff seperate charges)  and once my first statement was cut. I paid $600 and left a $500 balance.

-I didnt use the card for a Apple purchase?

Thats all I can think of. I put a $600 payment in, and was going to do $300 more in a few days, or even pay if off completely. Once I made my $600 payment towards the balance and it cleared, they closed my account. I called customer service today and they asked if I received a letter from their credit dept and I have not. The CSR rep said there is only a note saying that my acct is closed due to some sort of policy and told me that I have to call back on Monday to talk to a credit analyst since their credit dept is closed on the weekends. So awesome, I guess my NFCU nRewards card gets all the action from now on.

I'll update this once I talk to a credit analyst on Monday. Has this happened to anyone else with Barclays?

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays closed my account...

OMG, I got approved a month ago also with a 2,300.00 limit.  I've used it to make small purchases, but when I initially got it I bought an I-pad via the apple website.

I've made a payment and have a balance of 600.00 dollars.

Please keep us posted on your results.

Message 2 of 40
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OP, do you know if they've softed you? Has anything changed on your credit reports since you got the card? (more new accounts, balance increases on other cards, etc.)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 40
Datx
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

OP, do you know if they've softed you? Has anything changed on your credit reports since you got the card? (more new accounts, balance increases on other cards, etc.)

Does not appear that they did from looking at my full TU report dated on 12/12. The only way to find out is to look at my full CR from the CRAs correct? I don't believe there are any credit monitoring services that provides soft INQs. The Barclays was my last approval. My balance did increase on my NFCU card, but  not by much. I don't know what I did to freak them out.

Message 4 of 40
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Hauling hit the nail on the head!!!  Barclays have a department called, Portfolio Credit Unit.  Their sole job is to monitor your credit report AFTER they've given you a Brand Spakin' New credit card.  If ANYTHING, so much as an Inquiry appear after you've had Barclays in the first 6 months -- consider it CLOSED forever... no reopen, do not pass Go... you know the rest.  Your score is about to take a nose-dive.  Double-check your credit report for a sudden request for Fraud Alert.  Barclay's security department is known for having a bad habit of emailing TransUnion and requesting a Fraud Alert on YOUR behalf.  Contact edited in the Executive Office and ask if she can submit a statement to the credit burueas to say, 'Closed by Consumer' rather than 'Closed by Credit Grantor' at 866-750-6031 M-F 9-5 ET.  My vehicle lease ended and they saw ONE inquiry for my next vehicle with the same company and my Barclay's went Bye-Bye.

Edited to remove someone else's name. - llecs, myFICO moderator

Message 5 of 40
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe some of you guys remember the rash of closures about three years ago (happened when I joined here). They approved anyone and everyone and then closed them off in the masses due to having more than one Juniper (now Barclays) account, having high util, having high CLs (set by them), etc. Sorry that happened, OP.

Message 6 of 40
Datx
Valued Contributor

@JayRizzo wrote:

Hauling hit the nail on the head!!!  Barclays have a department called, Portfolio Credit Unit.  Their sole job is to monitor your credit report AFTER they've given you a Brand Spakin' New credit card.  If ANYTHING, so much as an Inquiry appear after you've had Barclays in the first 6 months -- consider it CLOSED forever... no reopen, do not pass Go... you know the rest.  Your score is about to take a nose-dive.  Double-check your credit report for a sudden request for Fraud Alert.  Barclay's security department is known for having a bad habit of emailing TransUnion and requesting a Fraud Alert on YOUR behalf.  Contact edited  in the Executive Office and ask if she can submit a statement to the credit burueas to say, 'Closed by Consumer' rather than 'Closed by Credit Grantor' at 866-750-6031 M-F 9-5 ET.  My vehicle lease ended and they saw ONE inquiry for my next vehicle with the same company and my Barclay's went Bye-Bye.

Wow...I didn't know Barclays was like this. Now I wish I never called for a recon when they initially denied me. Didnt know it would cause so much problems. I was hoping to build a good relationship with them but I guess that may never happen now. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 40
mross1080
Established Contributor

Sorry that they closed you account.Smiley Sad I just got an account with them a little over a month ago and just checked mine, still open. I have only used it once about 2 weeks ago for dinner and paid it when it posted. I do have a couple things that have changed on my report since I opened them so I hope they dont close mine too.Smiley Surprised. Maybe theyll reverse there desicison when you speak to an analyst.

Message 8 of 40
Datx
Valued Contributor

Just got an updated TU report. Looks like they did do a soft on my TU report the last few days and I guess they didnt like something on it.

Message 9 of 40
mross1080
Established Contributor

Whats your current util? Seems crazy they would close you so soon with nothing new on your reports.

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.