Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays closing accounts

tag
tjw0783
Valued Member

Barclays closing accounts

Another question for the day....I had just paid off my barclays balance of 300 ( cl of 500) I went and requested a cli on the website.

I was reading around these forums about barclays and cli and im a little concerned now. I have 11 recent inquiries since I opened the barclays card. ( was on a app spree to see what I could get to try and rebuild credit after BK in 2010)  Is this request for a cli going to result in a account closure becuase of all the inquiries?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tjw0783
Valued Member

Re: Barclays closing accounts

Forgot to mention Barclays has been open since November 2012.

Message 2 of 8
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

I've read elsewhere on these forums someone mentioned having like a half dozen inquiries within 6 months of opening an account with barclays and the account was not closed. I suspect it may be a YMMV sort of thing. Having said that, it's my understanding that they are inquiry sensitive, so I honestly cannot say what approach they will take with you. Also, they are really good about auto cli's so why not wait until you clear 6 months and see if they bump you ???

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 3 of 8
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Interesting.  I, too, opened Barclays in November 2012 but only added one INQ in December.  Time will tell.

Message 4 of 8
tjw0783
Valued Member

I should have but thought it was worth a shot until I read all the bad reviews about them closing accounts etc.

Right after I did it, I sent a message from my account asking them not to process the request but im sure its already been done. The message I recieved when I requested the increase was that I would recieve a letter in 10 days....

We shall see I guess. I'm really hoping it doesnt because ive been reading how good their auto cli's are....shouldve waited I suppose.

Message 5 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

fingers crossed for you.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 8
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

I have personally opened over 12 new accounts since acquiring Barclay's including a second account from them. If you use their product regularly and pif or 4-5 times minimum they seldom have issues. This was from an underwriter. As always YMMV, but I wouldn't worry!

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 7 of 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

A few ago I started a "poll" here to see who had experienced the dreaded barclays AA after adding other accounts.  At least 95% of the responses indicated no AA from Barclays.  I suspect this is like an Amex FR, really rather rare, but impacted people report it so it appears more common than it is.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.