Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays credit Good or bad ??

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??

I'd say they're a prime lender, but a little more lenient and less conservative than other banks. Their reps actually have the authority to make decisions about approvals and CLs, which a lot of bank CSRs don't have (e.g. Amex). Their standards might be a little lower than Amex or Chase, but I don't think that makes them any less desirable as a lender. In fact, if anything, I appreciate that they do have that flexibility, to help me move out of Cap One land!

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 21 of 46
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

I'd say they're a prime lender, but a little more lenient and less conservative than other banks. Their reps actually have the authority to make decisions about approvals and CLs, which a lot of bank CSRs don't have (e.g. Amex). Their standards might be a little lower than Amex or Chase, but I don't think that makes them any less desirable as a lender. In fact, if anything, I appreciate that they do have that flexibility, to help me move out of Cap One land!

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 22 of 46
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

I'd probably say they're quasi-prime. They're essentially a stepping-stone for people from non-prime lenders like CapOne to prime lenders like Amex and Chase. They have some at the very low end of prime, but their actions of constant softing people after opening an account doesn't describe a true prime lender.

Prime lenders typically show more faith to their cardholders or will simply deny them upon application if they have serious doubts. I know there are exceptions like Amex FRing a fresh applicant, but in general I think this holds. Barclays checks up on you frequently because of the typical client they have. A good number have screwed up their credit in the past, so they want to make doubly-sure people don't screw up again while using their cards.

I definitely see your point; however Amex is notorious for repeated softing too.  Citi also softs me monthly. I think a soft check periodically is becoming the norm, even with most lenders for the first 6 months to a year.  Chase softed me monthly for the first 6 months but since then it has been few and far between (and I think for promotional purposes).

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 46
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@tonyaether wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

I'd probably say they're quasi-prime. They're essentially a stepping-stone for people from non-prime lenders like CapOne to prime lenders like Amex and Chase. They have some at the very low end of prime, but their actions of constant softing people after opening an account doesn't describe a true prime lender.

Prime lenders typically show more faith to their cardholders or will simply deny them upon application if they have serious doubts. I know there are exceptions like Amex FRing a fresh applicant, but in general I think this holds. Barclays checks up on you frequently because of the typical client they have. A good number have screwed up their credit in the past, so they want to make doubly-sure people don't screw up again while using their cards.

I definitely see your point; however Amex is notorious for repeated softing too.  Citi also softs me monthly. I think a soft check periodically is becoming the norm, even with most lenders for the first 6 months to a year.  Chase softed me monthly for the first 6 months but since then it has been few and far between (and I think for promotional purposes).

Yes...I agree...Barclay is by no means the only prime lender that softs its card customers in a paranoid manner. Just do a search about CLDs, closures of account holders with scores in the 700s and you'll see that this is by no means limited to Barclay.

Now, I will stipulate that Barclay is probably the worst offender of the bunch, but I really don't think it has to do with who they are lending to. If that was the criteria, Cap1 and Orchard would soft card holders weekly because nearly all of their card holders are either building or rebuilding credit for a variety of reasons.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 24 of 46
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Approved tonight 4/1/2011 for $1400.00

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 25 of 46
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Congrats!!!!

Your cards a year old that quick huh?? Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 26 of 46
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

Oh shoot. 2012. Smiley Happy lol

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 27 of 46
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

+1

+2 --

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 28 of 46
halos24
Frequent Contributor

Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Congrats!  If you take care of the card trust me it i one that grows with you.  This card was one of my first before I got my foot in the door with Amex and Citi and really has shown me love every 6 months with a CLI.  

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 29 of 46
CreditCardDiva
Regular Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

What is a Barclays credit card. I see that a lot of folks here have them. Is Barclays like a Amex or Discover card ?

Barclays bank is a credit card that i would never get, people say that if inq or new accounts are opened the close out accounts. I dont want to have get a card in Jan and in May i need to apply for a new account and have to be scared that Barclays will close my account.

Ditto.

Credit Rebuild Start Date (3/12)
Oakland County CU Visa ($500) | Capital One Quick Silver One ($600) | Capital One Secured MC ($200) | Walmart ($1600) | PayPal Credit ($1000) | Jared ($3500) | Victoria's Secret ($850) | Gettington ($3500) | Amazon Store Card ($850) | NewEgg Preferred ($2400) | Discover IT ($1500) | Dillard's AMEX ($1500) Target ($1500) | Overstock Store Card ($1200) | Kohl's ($1500) | Old Navy ($650) | Macy's Store Card ($800) | The Limited ($350)
Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.