Reply
Senior Contributor
bichonmom
Posts: 3,318
Registered: ‎05-05-2011
0

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??

I'd say they're a prime lender, but a little more lenient and less conservative than other banks. Their reps actually have the authority to make decisions about approvals and CLs, which a lot of bank CSRs don't have (e.g. Amex). Their standards might be a little lower than Amex or Chase, but I don't think that makes them any less desirable as a lender. In fact, if anything, I appreciate that they do have that flexibility, to help me move out of Cap One land!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??


bichonmom wrote:

I'd say they're a prime lender, but a little more lenient and less conservative than other banks. Their reps actually have the authority to make decisions about approvals and CLs, which a lot of bank CSRs don't have (e.g. Amex). Their standards might be a little lower than Amex or Chase, but I don't think that makes them any less desirable as a lender. In fact, if anything, I appreciate that they do have that flexibility, to help me move out of Cap One land!


+1




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Frequent Contributor
tonyaether
Posts: 341
Registered: ‎06-04-2011
0

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??

[ Edited ]

CreditScholar wrote:


I'd probably say they're quasi-prime. They're essentially a stepping-stone for people from non-prime lenders like CapOne to prime lenders like Amex and Chase. They have some at the very low end of prime, but their actions of constant softing people after opening an account doesn't describe a true prime lender.

 

Prime lenders typically show more faith to their cardholders or will simply deny them upon application if they have serious doubts. I know there are exceptions like Amex FRing a fresh applicant, but in general I think this holds. Barclays checks up on you frequently because of the typical client they have. A good number have screwed up their credit in the past, so they want to make doubly-sure people don't screw up again while using their cards.


I definitely see your point; however Amex is notorious for repeated softing too.  Citi also softs me monthly. I think a soft check periodically is becoming the norm, even with most lenders for the first 6 months to a year.  Chase softed me monthly for the first 6 months but since then it has been few and far between (and I think for promotional purposes).


Current Scores: 08/2013 EQ - 779(FICO), TU98 - 783(FICO ), TU08-818(Walmart FICO),EX PLUS-775 (FAKO) Credit Sesame - 804 (FAKO)
Wallet: Barclays Plat. Rewards MC $8.9k,Amex BCP $9.1k, CitiForward Signature $11k, Chase Freedom $3k,Target Visa $1.5k, Walmart Discover 7.5k, Delta Gold Skymiles Amex $2k
GOAL: 800 ACROSS THE BOARD!!!!
Established Contributor
CreditCrusader
Posts: 799
Registered: ‎09-27-2011
0

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??


tonyaether wrote:

CreditScholar wrote:


I'd probably say they're quasi-prime. They're essentially a stepping-stone for people from non-prime lenders like CapOne to prime lenders like Amex and Chase. They have some at the very low end of prime, but their actions of constant softing people after opening an account doesn't describe a true prime lender.

 

Prime lenders typically show more faith to their cardholders or will simply deny them upon application if they have serious doubts. I know there are exceptions like Amex FRing a fresh applicant, but in general I think this holds. Barclays checks up on you frequently because of the typical client they have. A good number have screwed up their credit in the past, so they want to make doubly-sure people don't screw up again while using their cards.


I definitely see your point; however Amex is notorious for repeated softing too.  Citi also softs me monthly. I think a soft check periodically is becoming the norm, even with most lenders for the first 6 months to a year.  Chase softed me monthly for the first 6 months but since then it has been few and far between (and I think for promotional purposes).


Yes...I agree...Barclay is by no means the only prime lender that softs its card customers in a paranoid manner. Just do a search about CLDs, closures of account holders with scores in the 700s and you'll see that this is by no means limited to Barclay.

 

Now, I will stipulate that Barclay is probably the worst offender of the bunch, but I really don't think it has to do with who they are lending to. If that was the criteria, Cap1 and Orchard would soft card holders weekly because nearly all of their card holders are either building or rebuilding credit for a variety of reasons.

I'm Spartacus!

hr>Starting Score: EQ 546, EX 547, TU 580
Current Scores (lender): EQ 725 , EX FICO 720, TU 737 FICO scores>
Goal Score: 750
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Brian_Trying_700
Posts: 445
Registered: ‎09-14-2011
0

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??

Approved tonight 4/1/2011 for $1400.00

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??


Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Approved tonight 4/1/2011 for $1400.00


Congrats!!!!

 

Your cards a year old that quick huh?? :smileyvery-happy:




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Frequent Contributor
Brian_Trying_700
Posts: 445
Registered: ‎09-14-2011
0

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??

Oh shoot. 2012. :smileyhappy: lol

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Valued Contributor
RockinRay
Posts: 1,947
Registered: ‎08-13-2007
0

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??


LS2982 wrote:

bichonmom wrote:

I'd say they're a prime lender, but a little more lenient and less conservative than other banks. Their reps actually have the authority to make decisions about approvals and CLs, which a lot of bank CSRs don't have (e.g. Amex). Their standards might be a little lower than Amex or Chase, but I don't think that makes them any less desirable as a lender. In fact, if anything, I appreciate that they do have that flexibility, to help me move out of Cap One land!


+1


+2 --

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **

Frequent Contributor
halos24
Posts: 389
Registered: ‎09-07-2009
0

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??


Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Approved tonight 4/1/2011 for $1400.00


Congrats!  If you take care of the card trust me it i one that grows with you.  This card was one of my first before I got my foot in the door with Amex and Citi and really has shown me love every 6 months with a CLI.  

My current scores: MyFico- EQ: 8/13- (648), 8/13- EX (637), Wally TU (666)

Prime cards in my wallet: Citi Thank You (1500), Amex TE (1200), Amex Zync.
Regular Contributor
CreditCardDiva
Posts: 176
Registered: ‎03-15-2012
0

Re: Barclays credit Good or bad ??


corymcd88 wrote:

Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

What is a Barclays credit card. I see that a lot of folks here have them. Is Barclays like a Amex or Discover card ?


Barclays bank is a credit card that i would never get, people say that if inq or new accounts are opened the close out accounts. I dont want to have get a card in Jan and in May i need to apply for a new account and have to be scared that Barclays will close my account.

Ditto.

Credit Rebuild Start Date (3/12)
Oakland County CU Visa ($500) | Capital One Quick Silver One ($600) | Capital One Secured MC ($200) | Walmart ($550) | PayPal Credit ($1000) | Jared ($3500) | Victoria's Secret ($850) | Gettington ($3500) | Zales ($1000) | Amazon Store Card ($850) | NewEgg Preferred ($2400) | Dell Preferred Account ($1500) | Discover IT ($1500) | Dillard's AMEX ($1500) Target ($500) | Overstock Store Card ($1200) | Kohl's ($1500) | Old Navy ($500) | Macy's Store Card ($800)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}