Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays dropped my limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays dropped my limit

I got my Barclays card some time ago and they started me out with a limit of 1,000. Then maybe two months later they dropped it from 1,000 to 800.  Needless to say I called adn they told me that due to them pulling my credit they decided to dropped the limit. I asked them if they would move it back up if my credit improves...they said they will look at it from time to time. It just seems that they dropped it pretty easy..but won't raise it with ease. My question is, what would the likely hood of them closing my account if they don't see my credit at a certain level? Do other credit companies do this as well? I have Chase IGH, Citi, Discover Capital One..which are my biggies..I hope that they don't do the same thing.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays dropped my limit

@Anonymous wrote:

I got my Barclays card some time ago and they started me out with a limit of 1,000. Then maybe two months later they dropped it from 1,000 to 800.  Needless to say I called adn they told me that due to them pulling my credit they decided to dropped the limit. I asked them if they would move it back up if my credit improves...they said they will look at it from time to time. It just seems that they dropped it pretty easy..but won't raise it with ease. My question is, what would the likely hood of them closing my account if they don't see my credit at a certain level? Do other credit companies do this as well? I have Chase IGH, Citi, Discover Capital One..which are my biggies..I hope that they don't do the same thing.

Did you participate in a rapid expansion of your credit profile?

Message 2 of 37
NRB525
Super Contributor

This is why I will probably never apply for any Barclays card ever again. Too jumpy. I've dealt with CLD in my past, it's not the end of the world, but it is in my past Smiley Happy

I would not worry about them closing your account, just, in my opinion, be aware that Barclays is not a sharing bank: They don't seem to want to share their customers with any other CCC. Enjoy the $800, and try not to p!$$ them off Smiley Happy

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Due to them pulling my credit they decided to drop the limit - What specific issue(s) on your report led to the decrease?
Message 4 of 37
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It's called adverse action.  Are you carrying a significant amount of balances?  Has your score dramatically changed since you last used the card?  Period reviews give lenders some insight on your credit picture.  If something looks risky, especially with Barclays, they'll take action (either CLD or closure).  Be sure your credit pictue is not deteriorating to avoid further action. 

Message 5 of 37
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It should grow.  You have other cards with nice limits.  And don't forget to tap the luv button on that Discover card.  They've been crazy generous lately.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

They didn't give me any real reason such as inquires or non-paid accounts....very strange. But, when I notice my score going up...my limit stayed the same..even when it went up more than what it was when I initally got the card...strange

Message 7 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't familiar with that? 

Message 8 of 37
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I wasn't familiar with that? 

I've been hitting the luv button for Discover every 2 weeks for a $1k increase.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I be worried? I recently got 2k discover CLI, 4k boa CLI and a new citi credit card. Ughhh
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.