cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays eventually closed my Ameriprise WE account!

tag
tacaza
Valued Member

Barclays eventually closed my Ameriprise WE account!

My first statement cut just 2 days ago so I logged in to pay the balance off and the system told me the account information was inaccessible. I sensed something wrong here and quickly called in to check and was told my account was closed. Called Barclays' credit analyst and they not gonna do anything about it, too many new accounts.

It was a shame that I was considering that my main card and put most of my expenses through it. I managed to charge about 8k through the card within first month and paid 7k before statement date. As the account closed, the 9k rewards point just went through the windows. 

I thought I would be in the garden for the next 12 months but this making me itchy to apply for another card. Smiley Tongue    

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclays eventually closed my Ameriprise WE account!

LOADS of threads on here about barclays closing accounts that THEN go on to apply for more credit (after app'ing them) within 6 months.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 10
tacaza
Valued Member

Barclays instant approved me after 4 new account opening. Now that they use that reason to close it. Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 10
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@tacaza wrote:

Barclays instant approved me after 4 new account opening. Now that they use that reason to close it. Smiley Frustrated

I too opened up 3-4 new ones, just before being approved for their card.

Time will tell, as to how they handle my account over the next 5 months or so.  Not apping for anything until I pass that 6 mo period.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 10
tacaza
Valued Member

My guess is the CA who reviewed my acc just had a bad day. I hope you will pass that 6 months. Finger crossed.

Message 5 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Screw them OP, they don't want your business take it elsewhere.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 10
tacaza
Valued Member

@LS2982 wrote:

Screw them OP, they don't want your business take it elsewhere.

I will ask BOA to see if they adopt me LOL. Anyways, I just checked the statement and noticed that they charged the $150 anual fee. I don't know if that is legal, but they really need to collaborate.

Message 7 of 10
android01
Valued Contributor

I have an Ameriprise card as well.  I knew it was opened by Barclays but it transferred to Ameriprise upon opening the account (which really ticked me off because TWO new accounts appeared on my CR's).  This is the first I've heard of Barclay's closing an Ameriprise account as i was under the impression that Barclays wasn't the custodian, or made credit decisions, for Ameriprise after it was transferred.  Thanks for the info, OP.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 8 of 10
tacaza
Valued Member

@android01 wrote:

I have an Ameriprise card as well.  I knew it was opened by Barclays but it transferred to Ameriprise upon opening the account (which really ticked me off because TWO new accounts appeared on my CR's).  This is the first I've heard of Barclay's closing an Ameriprise account as i was under the impression that Barclays wasn't the custodian, or made credit decisions, for Ameriprise after it was transferred.  Thanks for the info, OP.  

I am swallowing that 2 new accs reporting as closed, and believe me the CSRs from the number on the back of the card have no power. Barclays makes all credit decisions and they HP you for CLI requests.

Moving forward, I stopped by the local BOA this morning and was invited to apply for their BankAmericard Privileges with Travel Rewards. 2 points per dollar and the 30 free trades/month seemed a pretty good deal. Apped and was approved for 7k5 limit Smiley Tongue. The card will come with the chip and no foreign transaction fee. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Thats a good deal. Iguess the 2 points per dollar would be 2.4 cent if you redeem into BofA account

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.