Reply
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy
Posts: 6,174
Registered: ‎08-16-2012
0

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

Sorry to hear this; however, barclay's seems hypersensitive at the op mentions to new accts. I like them so far but who knows.... All recons are a ymmv situation!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $5k| West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Mega Contributor
Creditaddict
Posts: 19,564
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me


laboi_22 wrote:

I applied for the Ring in order to get the 8% for the holidays at least until my Christmas club check comes in I'd like to start holiday shopping now--pay later. They declined me. My scores listed below are pretty recent. Never any baddies ever. UTL is 7%. I called to recon and was told that I was declined based on the fact that my AAOA was only 3 years and I opened 4 new accounts this year. I pleaded with them--no go.

 

I then gently called back, asked for a supervisor. She came on and she reviewed my application. She said we just simply need to see more history. I asked her to take my non-revolving history into consideration since I only got credit cards after purchasing my home of many years because of what the broker advised later in life. She said no even though I've been paying on a home loan and car note without any lates ever that did not help with their decision process. I explained that I had an AMEX (more than one), several lenders. I also had an explanation for the recent accounts--store cards for 0% interest ie Lowes for appliances. NO GO.

 

I'm a little baffled because I always hear success stories about recon with Barclays and people getting approved with baddies, little to no history, etc. I mentioned that to her and she said don't trust anything anyone tells you. I told her that I applied in past with them and was declined. It seems based on my socioeconomic status or other factors including zip code Barclays does not like me. She said nonsense. Either way I left the conversation with a big fat NO. I think I had some good arguments, but in the end she wouldn't budge. Oh well. I didn't need them. Called Discover who lowered my APR and gave me an offer for 6 months 0% interest. Love me some DISCOVER!! You can always count on them!


I'm sorry you need to call in at a completely different time of day or night and try again... These 2 people seem to need to walk outside and check what bank is written at the top of the building because you have what 8 cards over $1k and several over $5 and $10k... I am proud of the work I have done and decent scores going into the APP for 3 or 4th time for my apple card but someone with no BK, has a mortgage, car, and all those higher and some high limit credit cards and no go because of 4 years history... Hi, what about my 2 year history FROM BK.... no BK vs. BK... 

ugh it makes me want to scream... so I then say, you want Barclay for 8% Xmas shopping, WHY!!! Go get 0% and F off some Barclay 8%!

Fico Scores: EQ 657 Cabelas, TU 662 Walmart, EX 699 Wells (07-27-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Express $300
Over 40 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Moderator
Shogun
Posts: 12,952
Registered: ‎04-15-2011
0

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

I too would have thought that you would have been approved, but then again, nothing is for certain in the world of credit.


Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
Established Contributor
laboi_22
Posts: 634
Registered: ‎07-07-2011
0

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

Yeah at first I was upset. Not because I didn't get approved. That's really not the problem. I don't care if I ever get a Barclays. I was upset because I actually do a really good job managing my finances and my credit and should have been approved. Now I'm like whatever Barclays. I can do much better lol. Even the manager said you do seem credit savvy but we just can't. We need to see more history on the new accounts. There was no arguing with her anymore.
Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Valued Member
ednajen
Posts: 55
Registered: ‎12-16-2010
0

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

I feel your pain.  They denied me too...I wanted to get their us air card for the bonus miles and  rewards.  I called in to recon because of what I gathered from the boards.  He said my scores were fine, but I had one medical collection on my report.  I told him that there is a dispute with that, and I had four originally that were just removed and I was willing to fax him a letter proving that would be removed soon , but they said call back when it's removed to be reevaluated.

 

I was able to get an Amex Zync last month and received a pre-approval for the Gold.  I've got my eye on the Delta Amex now...I don't think I will call them back...but I did take the HP:smileysad:

Go to cards: Amex BCE , CSP, Discover IT, Amex Gold NPSL
Established Contributor
JonStur
Posts: 904
Registered: ‎12-25-2010
0

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me


laboi_22 wrote:
Yeah at first I was upset. Not because I didn't get approved. That's really not the problem. I don't care if I ever get a Barclays. I was upset because I actually do a really good job managing my finances and my credit and should have been approved. Now I'm like whatever Barclays. I can do much better lol. Even the manager said you do seem credit savvy but we just can't. We need to see more history on the new accounts. There was no arguing with her anymore.

Barclays has and will always be sensitive to inqs and new accts at least 6 months before and after you app with them. It's just the way they configure their risk assessment. It's just the way they do business and I wouldn't take it personally.


Starting Score: TU 686 EX 641 EQ 690
Current Score: TU 779 EX 767 EQ 740
Goal Score: 800 Club

BCE $12.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Wally Discover 10K, Cash+ $9K Sam's Discover 10K, Freedom $6K, Zales $5.5K, More $5K, Cap one $5K, Barclay 2.5K, Household Plat $1.5K, Household Gold $1.5K, Credit One $1K, First Premier Plat $.675K First Premier Gold $.65K
Mega Contributor
Creditaddict
Posts: 19,564
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me


JonStur wrote:

laboi_22 wrote:
Yeah at first I was upset. Not because I didn't get approved. That's really not the problem. I don't care if I ever get a Barclays. I was upset because I actually do a really good job managing my finances and my credit and should have been approved. Now I'm like whatever Barclays. I can do much better lol. Even the manager said you do seem credit savvy but we just can't. We need to see more history on the new accounts. There was no arguing with her anymore.

Barclays has and will always be sensitive to inqs and new accts at least 6 months before and after you app with them. It's just the way they configure their risk assessment. It's just the way they do business and I wouldn't take it personally.


1. I think the 6 months after and to many more apps and new accounts being opened is over rated... I had no issues, many others have said but it's true most even me remember the bad posts for products that we have especially when you "meaning me" are doing what all bad posts have talked about... wonder when that closed letter will come!

2. Being declined by Barclay with anything in the 700's with NO BADDIES is VERY Personal!!! - How can it not be, OP sees posts daily of low 600's "even lower sometimes" get approved with collections, Bankruptcy's, etc. as long as they conform into the 2 things that got OP denied (newer accounts, and INQ's) but again to my earlier statement, an underwriter should realize the difference for a "new" credit file and new manner of control on accounts since a BK or last collections and the difference of someone building new relationships after houses purchases, etc....

 

Fico Scores: EQ 657 Cabelas, TU 662 Walmart, EX 699 Wells (07-27-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Express $300
Over 40 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor
navigatethis12
Posts: 1,916
Registered: ‎01-24-2012
0

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me


Creditaddict wrote:


1. I think the 6 months after and to many more apps and new accounts being opened is over rated... I had no issues, many others have said but it's true most even me remember the bad posts for products that we have especially when you "meaning me" are doing what all bad posts have talked about... wonder when that closed letter will come!

2. Being declined by Barclay with anything in the 700's with NO BADDIES is VERY Personal!!! - How can it not be, OP sees posts daily of low 600's "even lower sometimes" get approved with collections, Bankruptcy's, etc. as long as they conform into the 2 things that got OP denied (newer accounts, and INQ's) but again to my earlier statement, an underwriter should realize the difference for a "new" credit file and new manner of control on accounts since a BK or last collections and the difference of someone building new relationships after houses purchases, etc....

 


For me new accounts and inquiries did not seem to matter. I got an increase and have heard nothing of them shutting down the account. I think they mostly watch people who have had bad credit in the past, since they could repeat the negative history.

 

I admit that seeing someone just out of bankruptcy a year ago get a 10000 line with someone I got a lower line for with no negatives does sting a little. However, it should still not be taken personally. The analysts at Barclays do not know any of us, and if they did they would not be allowed to proceed with the conversation. They are just making a decision based on things on a credit report and their experience with people with similar files.

 

Some people on here say they get denied for inquiries, while I have had no trouble with inquries being a reason and I believe I have about 17 on all three. It really is different for different people and getting stuck on it does not make it better( I know, I have tried). The only thing to do is just move on to another lender and come back in the future if you still want a card with them.

Established Contributor
compassion101
Posts: 576
Registered: ‎06-06-2012
0

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

Yeah, I guess they are just new account sensitive. Every company has their own risk assesment team and I guess that's the pet peeve of theirs.

 

Just curious, what is your christmas club? Is it one of those savings with no interest type deals or do you get something more out of it? I always hear about them and wonder what the attraction for them is.

 

 

Valued Contributor
rootpooty
Posts: 1,739
Registered: ‎10-28-2011
0

Re: Barclays is Not so EASY - or they hate me

Sorry to hear. I think you should try one more time for recon. However I think its the new accounts hurting you. Are any of them reporting balances? Typically Barclay's recon success is with the Barclay card or apple card which carries a rather high apr. I have seen much of a ring card recon success. Let us know if you try again.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 3k | BOFA 123 3k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 1800 | Walmart 1450 | Buckle 300

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+