Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays is a bad joke

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays is a bad joke

Hi I want to share my experience with Barlcays card. 

I applied last year and was approved for 3500. After the card anniversary i called for CLI and was approved for 7500. I tried reconsier as it was my smallest card and asked them to match 2 my chase freedom which was 10000. they refused and i asked them to close my account. The representative persuaded me to keep the card and try after 6 month. Guess what the next day they closed the account. 

I have called their presidental office who are unresposible group of people who forget to touch base with the clients. They expalined me that the reason for closure are two new credit inquires on my credit report within two month. What a joke.

I am planning to launch a website to spread the word abouth this ''goog'' company and their services.

Sorry for mistakes. English is my fourth language that i use

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays is a bad joke

Wow, that's ridiculous. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I agree it stinks that Barclays can close down an account for recent inquiries, but for you to want to close your account because they wouldnt give you $2500 more to match your other 2 cards is petty. You got a pretty good cli in the first place and id imagine in time they wouldve given you more. There are lots of people who have huge limits and when apping for a different lender, do not get a limit they feel they deserve. It is what it is and no bank is obligated to match another banks limits. Just remember that if you continue to want to close ccards because they dont five you a limit you want , youll probably be left with no credit cards.
Message 3 of 18
NC84
Regular Contributor

I don't get Barclay either. I have 2 cards I use with them all the time but for some reason they wont give me the NFL card that I wanted so bad. Maybe they are biased towards the NYGSmiley Surprised. Maybe ill apply for a patriots logo next time

Message 4 of 18
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied last year and was approved for 3500. After the card anniversary i called for CLI and was approved for 7500. I tried reconsier as it was my smallest card and asked them to match 2 my chase freedom which was 10000. they refused and i asked them to close my account. The representative persuaded me to keep the card and try after 6 month. Guess what the next day they closed the account. 

I have called their presidental office who are unresposible group of people who forget to touch base with the clients. They expalined me that the reason for closure are two new credit inquires on my credit report within two month. What a joke.

I am planning to launch a website to spread the word abouth this ''goog'' company and their services.

Sometimes you have to know when to leave well enough alone...

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean... you did ask them to close your account. I'm not a fan of Barclays, but I wouldn't ask to have an account closed just because I didn't get the CLI I wanted from a bank that closes accounts very easily.

Message 6 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Whatever the merits or otherwise of your case, this is pointless.   How many people are going to find and care about a new website attacking a bank with a very minor role in the US

Message 7 of 18
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I don't know if they can close a card out of spite but why tell them to close it after CLI denial? Really? And to be honest why do you care if it was closed when you wanted to close it anyway?

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 8 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal with Barclays... they definitely are not a favorite around here.

If your account closure was a mistake (i.e. a delayed reaction to your initial close request) there might be avenues you could take to have it reopened, but if I'm understanding correctly it was closed after your attempted recon on your CLI.  In this case I don't know if you have options beyond those you're already taken.

I've moved your thread to the 'Credit Cards' forum for additional exposure with the hope that somebody might have knowledge specific to your situation.

In the end if you are unable to get the card reinstated I wouldn't consider it a great loss... Barclays is well-known on here for being rather peculiar relative to other issuers.

Message 9 of 18
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

...and I received a mailer from them just last week. Went straight to the shredder. Wasnt interested anyway.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.