Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays is now on MY blacklist

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays is now on MY blacklist

@USF813 wrote:
And let's be perfectly 100% honest here. If one is managing his/her finances properly then one should have no need for 0% balance transfers.

Perhaps. I had a few unexpected expenses this year which I prefered to put on a 0% card vs draining our Savings accounts, add to the top of that my side business and I can absolutely see the value in 0% BT's.

-New car down payment(s)

-New A/C unit for rental townhouse

-Goods for resale, Parts for repairs on goods.

There's never a bad time to take  "free" money.

Message 41 of 71
USF813
Frequent Contributor

With the exception of unforeseen medical expenses, building up a balance that requires seeking out 0% balance transfers indicates lack of self-control.
Message 42 of 71
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@dapps06 wrote:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2026&cellNumber=14&referrerid=CCDPPPRO...

I applied for the Barclay Rewards card for one reason, the offer for 0 percent interest on balance transfers made within the first 45 days. I went to the balance transfer section on my account homepage today and saw one BT offer, if you can call it that, of a balance transfer with no 0 percent introductory period. Because this is the only reason I applied for the card, I sent them a message asking what was going on.

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard.  We can certainly address your concern regarding the promotional interest rate on your account.

We are sorry, however, we regret to inform you that your purchases and balance transfers transactions will be at a standard interest rate of 24.99%. Unfortunately we are unable to find the offer that you are referring to in our system. If you want us to investigate this further please fax or mail us a copy of any relevant documentation. Please include your name and account number on the documentation. Our team will review this and contact you.

Interesting, they claim to not even be able to find the offer. I did a quick search and found the very offer I was talking about, ON THEIR OWN SITE. I just sent them a response with the link, but not before I called and cancelled the account. Here's how the phone call went. Rep one transfers me when I tell her I want to close my account. Rep two tells me that she knows about the offer and that I'm reading it wrong. I read her this line on the offer page:

0% Intro APR for 6 months, then 24.99% variable APR based on creditworthiness

She says, right, that offer is based on your creditworthiness. I said wrong, this is CLEARLY talking about your APR after the intro period is up. I call her what she is, a liar, and ask to be transferred. Rep 3 gets on the phone and this basically gets repeated. She said the offer is subject to approval. I read her this line:

If at the time of your application you do not meet the credit criteria previously established for this offer, or the income you report is insufficient based on your obligations, we may not be able to open an account for you.

I then ask her to show me exactly where it says you can get approved for the card, but not the offer. She says shes not going to argue with me and asks if I want to close the account. I said I absolutely want to close the account but first I want you to support your claim with proof. She again declines to do so, not surprising considering we both knew she was being dishonest.

I closed the account and let her know that I'm not surprised that this bank was involved with the LIBOR scandal, considering the type of people they hire it all makes perfect sense now.

I can safely say I'll never do business with these liars ever again, what a bunch of low rent scumbags.

*You made a big mistake canceling the card, specially with your scores.

*You're still in the re-building stage and you should not be picky at all.

*There are people with same scores as yours and could not get that credit card.

*You're trying to punish the credit company by closing the card, but you are the one loosing not the bank.

*The bank does not care if you don't want the card other people will.

My scores are away higher than yours and I may still face the same problems you are facing.

I wish you good luck.

Message 43 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@USF813 wrote:
With the exception of unforeseen medical expenses, building up a balance that requires seeking out 0% balance transfers indicates lack of self-control.

It's all subjective. I absolutely could afford to 0 out all our CC's if I needed to given 30-45 days notice. But why would I do that when there's no Interest being paid out and the balance is being paid down in a timely manner.

Message 44 of 71
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@USF813 wrote:

It's all subjective. I absolutely could afford to 0 out all our CC's if I needed to given 30-45 days notice. But why would I do that when there's no Interest being paid out and the balance is being paid down in a timely manner.

There's possibly a slight difference between carrying a balance on a 0% card, which can certainly make sense, and going for a 0% BT which usually incurs fees, and would make sense only if you are already carrying a balance on a non-0% card (which to some is lack of planning or discipline).

Message 45 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may not agree with the OP but I think some of the comments have gone a bit too far.  He's being called a psychotic angry person whose life is out of control.  Come on.

also he's not the first person that brought up % BT offers on this forum.

Message 46 of 71
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

If this is what the offer actually said, literally word-for-word, then you are entitled to the 0% Intro rate. The 24.99% applies after the 6 months. 

However, IF it read like this: "0% Intro APR for 6 months, then 24.99% variable APR, based on creditworthiness." Then you would not be entitled to the 0%.

It's all about that tiny little coma after the 24.99% variable APR. Without that comma there, then the "based on creditworthiness" only applies to "24.99% variable APR," NOT the first part regarding 0% Intro offer.

I would have fought this some more. If the promotion is as you say it was, then you are entitled to it. This isn't a matter of interpretation; it's the last antecedent rule. 

Good point and it's one I brought up during the initial call. The offer was stated exactly as shown here, I copied and pasted it directly from the app form. I told the rep repeatedly that the "based on creditworthiness" portion of this statement referred to the APR after the 6 month window was up, she had no interest in this information.

I received a call from Barclays tonight, I was issued an apology and was informed that I was given incorrect information. By getting approved for the card I was also approved for the offers listed on the app page. The man who called me called this common sense, and apologized repeatedly for the false information the previous representatives offered up.

He said he believed the mix up happened when I clicked the "apply now" button on the creditcards.com site, he thinks it led me to an outdated page on the Barclays site, but he said this was no excuse for the reps to get the information wrong. He said if this was the case, I should have been told the offer was expired. I agreed and we ended the call.

Message 47 of 71
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I may not agree with the OP but I think some of the comments have gone a bit too far.  He's being called a psychotic angry person whose life is out of control.  Come on.

I agree.

Having a different opinion and being respectful are not contrary to each other.

Enough with the snide remarks.

Message 48 of 71
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2026&cellNumber=14&referrerid=CCDPPPRO...

I applied for the Barclay Rewards card for one reason, the offer for 0 percent interest on balance transfers made within the first 45 days. I went to the balance transfer section on my account homepage today and saw one BT offer, if you can call it that, of a balance transfer with no 0 percent introductory period. Because this is the only reason I applied for the card, I sent them a message asking what was going on.

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard.  We can certainly address your concern regarding the promotional interest rate on your account.

We are sorry, however, we regret to inform you that your purchases and balance transfers transactions will be at a standard interest rate of 24.99%. Unfortunately we are unable to find the offer that you are referring to in our system. If you want us to investigate this further please fax or mail us a copy of any relevant documentation. Please include your name and account number on the documentation. Our team will review this and contact you.

Interesting, they claim to not even be able to find the offer. I did a quick search and found the very offer I was talking about, ON THEIR OWN SITE. I just sent them a response with the link, but not before I called and cancelled the account. Here's how the phone call went. Rep one transfers me when I tell her I want to close my account. Rep two tells me that she knows about the offer and that I'm reading it wrong. I read her this line on the offer page:

She says, right, that offer is based on your creditworthiness. I said wrong, this is CLEARLY talking about your APR after the intro period is up. I call her what she is, a liar, and ask to be transferred. Rep 3 gets on the phone and this basically gets repeated. She said the offer is subject to approval. I read her this line:

If at the time of your application you do not meet the credit criteria previously established for this offer, or the income you report is insufficient based on your obligations, we may not be able to open an account for you.

I then ask her to show me exactly where it says you can get approved for the card, but not the offer. She says shes not going to argue with me and asks if I want to close the account. I said I absolutely want to close the account but first I want you to support your claim with proof. She again declines to do so, not surprising considering we both knew she was being dishonest.

I closed the account and let her know that I'm not surprised that this bank was involved with the LIBOR scandal, considering the type of people they hire it all makes perfect sense now.

I can safely say I'll never do business with these liars ever again, what a bunch of low rent scumbags.

You have some serious anger issues. I'm sorry, but if you called me for assistance, then immediately subjected me to your aggressive and argumentative attitude, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to help you either. IMO, they didn't help you because you're just a terrible customer.

When I worked in customer service, I would jump through hoops and bend every rule in the book to help those who were calm, collected, and understanding. When a customer decided to get aggressive, I promptly stopped caring.

You have some serious judgment issues, you know nothing about me and have no clue whatsoever how the call began. Do you think I transcribed the entire call for you? Is this really what you believe? It sounds to me like this is what you WANT to believe.

I am VERY respectful when I deal with customer service until I'm told information that I know isn't true. This wasn't a situation where I needed help, this was a situation where I applied for something that later on wasn't honored. I was then given three different reasons for why that happened, and now tonight I was issued an apology and told that all three reasons were nonsense.

I realize you don't want to hear this given your CSR background, but sometimes you guys are in the wrong, sometimes you guys don't do your jobs properly, sometimes you deserve attitude. Customers are not your friends, they are customers who deserve to know correct information. This isn't contingent on the customers behavior, IT'S YOUR JOB. If you bent over backwards for some customers but not others, that speaks more to your lack of professionalism than it does to any anger issues you want to pin on me. I've worked more than one customer service position myself, and I can tell you as FACT that if you do your job properly, respecting the consumers right to receive correct information, the number of irritable customers you deal with will be next to none.

Since you wanted to judge me I'll now judge you. It sounds to me like you have a power trip issue, you don't like being told what to do so if an unhappy customer calls in and gives you grief, you get offended and "pay them back" with poor service.

I'd fire you on the spot if you worked for me and exhibited this type of behavior.

Message 49 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree.

Having a different opinion and being respectful are not contrary to each other.

Enough with the snide remarks.

This is a post I can get behind. Smiley Happy

Besides. Everyone knows BT offers make the world go around!

Message 50 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.