Did you mean: 

Barclays launches new 1.5% reward card

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclays launches new 1.5% reward card

@celluloid17 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Double Cash often gives low limits and sometimes it can be bumped up with a 2nd HP but of course, then you are obviously taking a second HP which some people find annoying.

You can request a SP CLI every 6 months with the Citi for the Double Cash card, although that might be a YMMV depending on the profile.  

Not true, I've had it 10 months so far and have had opportunity for soft pull CLI request.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 41 of 59
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think the average consumer who gets this card will not have any issue if they spend a lot on it etc...the Barclay's "finicky" behavior primarily impacts people like us who apply for credit more frequently than most. Since the redemption threshold on this is $50, which translates into into roughly $3300 in spending, I'm sure Barclay's expects people to spend money on this card and won't bat an eye.

If you are going to use as a daily driver, the $50 is not that big of a deal, but when you consider that there are equivalent options with no such restrictions, it becomes a bigger deal...it's similar to the age old Venture/Arrival vs Fidelity/Double Cash debate. One set of cards is basically a restricted version of the other set, and since the less restricted set is available, it begs the question "why go for the other option?". A Quicksilver gives you the same 1.5% along with the same signup bonus, and no redemption threshold to worry about. Taxi's right -- most people aren't redeeming for tiny amounts anyway -- but flexibility beats no flexibility.  I hope it's not like amex, where not only is there a threshold but your redemptions have to be in increments of said threshold (which is certainly annoying).

If you really want to be "in with Barclay" and are in the camp that finds that being "in" makes a difference, it's not like this is an awful card or anything, just nothing super special IMO. This, however, doesn't appear to be one of their "starter cards" as it's listed for "excellent" credit whereas the Rewards is for "fair" and even the arrivals are for "good/excellent". So you may have to start with one of those anyway. Citi may not be super easy to get in with but Barclay's is certainly conservative a lot of the time.

One thing you need to understand is not everyone here can get a QS. Sometimes certain banks like you and others don't. Everybody's situation is different. What works for you may not work for others. In any event, 60% of ppl carrys a balance month to month based on bankrate data, so the 1-3% ROI on these cards can be irrelevant for those 60%. The apr approval defines the CC. That's the big picture in all this, not the 1,2,3,4,5 % cash back. If we all are a pif customer, than we are winning the apr % war between banks and consumer. The minor cash back % is to lure us in to pay the APR. good day! 

Message 42 of 59
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

It might be good if you don't want to deal with Cap One or Citi.   I actually would have considered this card on my recent app, since I like the 12 month intro period and signup bonus.   However, the rewards are only slightly better than QS (and if your gen spend is low, the high redemption kills it).   If you redeemed the V1 signup bonus for cashback at half-value, you'd still equal this $100 bonus.  However, if you can redeem V1's miles at full value, that is a clearcut winner.  

At this point, I'd only take this card if SM was discontinued and I wanted to keep my CL

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 43 of 59
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think the average consumer who gets this card will not have any issue if they spend a lot on it etc...the Barclay's "finicky" behavior primarily impacts people like us who apply for credit more frequently than most. Since the redemption threshold on this is $50, which translates into into roughly $3300 in spending, I'm sure Barclay's expects people to spend money on this card and won't bat an eye.

If you are going to use as a daily driver, the $50 is not that big of a deal, but when you consider that there are equivalent options with no such restrictions, it becomes a bigger deal...it's similar to the age old Venture/Arrival vs Fidelity/Double Cash debate. One set of cards is basically a restricted version of the other set, and since the less restricted set is available, it begs the question "why go for the other option?". A Quicksilver gives you the same 1.5% along with the same signup bonus, and no redemption threshold to worry about. Taxi's right -- most people aren't redeeming for tiny amounts anyway -- but flexibility beats no flexibility.  I hope it's not like amex, where not only is there a threshold but your redemptions have to be in increments of said threshold (which is certainly annoying).

If you really want to be "in with Barclay" and are in the camp that finds that being "in" makes a difference, it's not like this is an awful card or anything, just nothing super special IMO. This, however, doesn't appear to be one of their "starter cards" as it's listed for "excellent" credit whereas the Rewards is for "fair" and even the arrivals are for "good/excellent". So you may have to start with one of those anyway. Citi may not be super easy to get in with but Barclay's is certainly conservative a lot of the time.

One thing you need to understand is not everyone here can get a QS. Sometimes certain banks like you and others don't. Everybody's situation is different. What works for you may not work for others. In any event, 60% of ppl carrys a balance month to month based on bankrate data, so the 1-3% ROI on these cards can be irrelevant for those 60%. The apr approval defines the CC. That's the big picture in all this, not the 1,2,3,4,5 % cash back. If we all are a pif customer, than we are winning the apr % war between banks and consumer. The minor cash back % is to lure us in to pay the APR. good day! 

I totally agree about APR vs cash back. The rewards are just an incentive; if you pay interest, that's (the rate) certainly more important to worry about.

Not everyone can get a QS you are totally right on that, but Capital One generally is known to be pretty "forgiving" and is often one of the first lenders to "let someone back in" with major CCs. Of course they deny people sometimes, though.

But Barclay's is not exactly known to be lax. Their Sallie Mae card, marketed to students, was notoriously a very difficult card to actually get, underwriting wise. Not to mention how many Barclay recon threads come up on a weekly basis because of the conservative nature they tend to have.  I don't know where this new card stands on their underwriting standards but judging by the "excellent" designation I'd wager that there will be plenty of people who cannot get this one either. However, I do agree that some lenders seem to "like" a person more than others, for reasons unknown. Barclay's hates inquiries and new accounts anecdotally, and I had several when I got my Upromise in August -- and I got the best APR, suggesting that they didn't care too much. So as always, YMMV.

Message 44 of 59
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@ Kdm...agree. We as consumers want competitive offers from these banks. That's the only way that we can squeeze a little cash back out of them. Like Dave Ramsey said, if you want to win against these banks, pay cash! Haha

Message 45 of 59
yfan
Valued Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

Sounds like good card. I can't believe the complaining about Redeem threshold. its only $50 bucks people. Its not like you will say ok. give me my $17.50 right now. I would take it if i could but i do agree i just can't see putting a lot of spend on a Barclays Card .They are too finaky

I don't know about you, but I would definitely say "Give me my $17.50 now."

Message 46 of 59
yfan
Valued Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

One thing you need to understand is not everyone here can get a QS. Sometimes certain banks like you and others don't. Everybody's situation is different. What works for you may not work for others. In any event, 60% of ppl carrys a balance month to month based on bankrate data, so the 1-3% ROI on these cards can be irrelevant for those 60%. 

Not necessarily. The 60% figure measures people who have a balance reporting, not people paying interest. As we all know here, a balance reporting is not the same as balance carried, and not even everyone carrying a balance is actually paying interest - those on a 0% promo period, for example.

Message 47 of 59
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

One thing you need to understand is not everyone here can get a QS. Sometimes certain banks like you and others don't. Everybody's situation is different. What works for you may not work for others. In any event, 60% of ppl carrys a balance month to month based on bankrate data, so the 1-3% ROI on these cards can be irrelevant for those 60%. 

Not necessarily. The 60% figure measures people who have a balance reporting, not people paying interest. As we all know here, a balance reporting is not the same as balance carried, and not even everyone carrying a balance is actually paying interest - those on a 0% promo period, for example.

And those are the benefits to making great $ and having a good to great credit scores. Times are good now but during the recession, the majority of Americans were defaulting, late on payments, carrying a balance, and a lot of ppl lost their jobs. It wasn't 60% then, more like 80% carrying a balance. 

Message 48 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@uswala wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

In befo da lock...

Worthless card. Redemption threshold is too high plus it has a FTF. It's a non-cobranded World MC that reports as Flexible Spend, which I like, but overall it's not worth it.

Yup, I did not notice that you need $50 to redeem. That is way to high.

Are people really redeeming their stuff every chance they get? I usually wait to have at least $100 to redeem my rewards, and is not because im desperate for cash, just a nice little bonus here and there always lightens the mood.

Message 49 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

$50 is not that high to me. But im in the 10% of those steering away from Cap One and needing to redeem less than $50 wouldnt be a priority to me. I think a lot of us here may not appreciate this card bc this place is credit hoard and bonus crazed central. If its actually a main spend card, which I believe is the hope of Barclay, then this works perfectly fine for most. Doesnt take much to spend a little over $3k and get to the $50 redemption. But for those trying to spread spend across 10+ cards plus pick up bonuses here and there not so easy.

Would much rather deal with Barclay but thats personal preference. Havent had an issue with them after a slew of new accounts and inquiries since last year so they're cool with me. Experiences vary. If I ever get down to three cards or less I wouldnt mind this being one of them.
Message 50 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.