Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays lowered my limit to a to $500

tag
vanskills
Valued Member

Barclays lowered my limit to a to $500

First I don't even care, it was my worst card already just wanted to share for searchable information for people

Had barclay Mastercard about 2 years, it started at a meager $1000, they raised it after a year to $2500 without me asking.

Yesterday I noticed my limit was $500....I called and they said " too much credit with other cards"

So I told them I didn't want a toy card and cancelled
Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays lowered my limit to a to $500

Very sorry to hear about the CLD there  Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 84
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Good riddance to them and you did the right thing.

Barclays has well earned all of the heat that they get in these forums so many times.

Your decision is a quality one IMO.

I bet you'll be able to better replace them in little to no time.

Message 3 of 84
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Barclay's definitely has some jealousy issues when it comes to someone that is doing things right and expanding the foundation of available credit.  It's a sign you're moving up in the world and wouldn't even be able to pre-qual for a Credit One at this point!!!!  Take it as a badge of honor and keep on truck'n!

Message 4 of 84
happypill
Valued Contributor

Sounds like you made the right decision.

Just for informational purposes, did you have any adverse events recently in your credit (derog, increased util, etc.)?  Anything else that might have prompted them to review your account (like asking for a CLI)?  Did you ever use the card or was it in the sock drawer?  I think it's most useful to everyone if we undestand the details.

For me personally, since I got my Sallie Mae card 2 years ago (started at $1k, now at $3.4k), I've added 25+ cards and $200k+ in new credit.  Still, my Sallie Mae is one of my favorites and I don't want to do anything to make them nervous about it.

Message 5 of 84
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

Barclay's definitely has some jealousy issues when it comes to someone that is doing things right and expanding the foundation of available credit.  It's a sign you're moving up in the world and wouldn't even be able to pre-qual for a Credit One at this point!!!!  Take it as a badge of honor and keep on truck'n!

+10000000000000

It's also another clear reminder for those who proactively broke away from them before they could pull this so infamous axe job why you closed them JUST IN CASE before a spree.

They can so easily disrupt building a steady credit profile.

Message 6 of 84
vanskills
Valued Member

To answer some questions,

I used maybe 200 a month on a bill or two..

It changes of course but I usually have around 20% to 30% utility which is around 10 - 30 thousand dollars on my cards at any given momentioned.

I currently make around $350,000 yr but I use my cards ALL the time and just pay them off when I feel like it I guess

I couldn't use barclay that much becaus3 of the low $2550 limit...and than they took it to $500..haha
Message 7 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay's Rewards MC was my first credit card.  Started at $500 then got an auto CLI to $1,500.  I noticed them soft pulling my credit an awful lot.  I nearly maxed out the card at first not knowing about utility.  Score dropped 40 points then gained 40 points when I paid it down.  Then I began to ask why have a card with an ability to spend $50-$150 (10%).  So I began applying for other cards.  I decided I didn't need big brother looking over my back all the time so I ditched Barclay's.  Anything I buy over $200 goes on my Blispay card.  It usually has a balance between $700 and $1,000.  My other 8 Visas and MCs only get about $25 to $100 spend per month.  Hopefully Citi and Chase doesn't CLD any of the cards I have but I don't think they are as butthurt as Barclay's seems to be.

Message 8 of 84
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

I do not understand that company.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclay's Rewards MC was my first credit card.  Started at $500 then got an auto CLI to $1,500.  I noticed them soft pulling my credit an awful lot.  I nearly maxed out the card at first not knowing about utility.  Score dropped 40 points then gained 40 points when I paid it down.  Then I began to ask why have a card with an ability to spend $50-$150 (10%).  So I began applying for other cards.  I decided I didn't need big brother looking over my back all the time so I ditched Barclay's.  Anything I buy over $200 goes on my Blispay card.  It usually has a balance between $700 and $1,000.  My other 8 Visas and MCs only get about $25 to $100 spend per month.  Hopefully Citi and Chase doesn't CLD any of the cards I have but I don't think they are as butthurt as Barclay's seems to be.

How does one know when a SP occurs?

Message 10 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.