Barclays overnight fee ??

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays overnight fee ??

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

They charge the new card account. Unless you really really need the card quickly I would never be paying $15 for that. I think it's ridiculous they charge that much to expedite one card.

Yes, I agree.   I have very few principles in the cc world, but not paying for junk charges like this is one of them.    While a lot of people get very excited about receiving the card ASAP, the cases where you actually need the card now are very rare (and often getting the card on time doesn't work in these cases because of other factors)

When there's card issuers out there that automatically overnight new cards, there's no reason to do business with a company that charges you to do so when you request it.

And I could even understand a nominal fee or something if they insist, but $15 is ludicrous.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays overnight fee ??

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied on Thursday evening and got the card in the mail on Wednesday. That's quick. I can't see a situation where it would be worth paying the fee.

A week is about average for a non-rushed card to come in the mail. I wouldn't exactly call it "quick."

It is when you consider that you can apply on a Thursday night, and not get it until Monday when it's "overnighted".  I would be hard pressed to pay to get something two days sooner.

On a related note, I once lived in the suburbs of a major American city (Portland, OR), but on the other side of the river in Washington state.  Regular (First Class) mail was sent to Portland to process, and express mail would be sent to Seattle to process.

Every time I mailed somthing, the postal clerk would try to upsell to 2-day or overnight mail.

OK, I am sending a letter (or payment or package or whatever) to Portland.  If I send it First Class, it goes in a truck across the river, and gets delivered tomorrow. If I overnight (or express) it, it goes by truck to Seattle (3 hours away), gets put on an airplane, and flown to Portland, where it will either be delivered tomorrow (overnight) for like 40 times the cost, or the day after tomorrow (express 2-day) for 20 times the price.

Unless I want to send my mail on a scenic road trip, absolutely no reason to use anything other than First Class.  And unless my card issuer is willing to do it for free (I never ask, and Citi is the only one that chooses to do it for me without asking), I can wait a week or two to get my card.

But, like anything, YMMV.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.