Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays overseas/domestic

tag
SBR249
Established Contributor

Barclays overseas/domestic

Purely asking this out of curiosity, but does anyone know if the US Barclays ever consider information from their overseas operations when looking at accounts? I know that HSBC seems to be willing to exchange such information (especially if you've got a lot of assets with them) but they also seems to have more full-serviced operations in the US and AmEx will exchange info between countries as well. The reason I ask is that I bank with Barclays in Europe and have US Barclays card and wonder if the right hand ever knows what the left is doing, so to speak and whether that could positively or negatively affect things on either side.  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays overseas/domestic

I’m not sure how they’d be able to associate your overseas account info with a US application. Maybe by name and birthdate but even that can be uncertain.

I know expats coming to this country (or American expats going abroad) typically have to start from scratch on reputation data for account apps. It probably wouldn’t be as big a hurtle as it is if banks could reference history from another country.
Message 2 of 3
SBR249
Established Contributor

Re: Barclays overseas/domestic

@MrDisco99 wrote:
I’m not sure how they’d be able to associate your overseas account info with a US application. Maybe by name and birthdate but even that can be uncertain.

I know expats coming to this country (or American expats going abroad) typically have to start from scratch on reputation data for account apps. It probably wouldn’t be as big a hurtle as it is if banks could reference history from another country.

I think you may be right on that count in terms of if I don't explicitly tell them to link the two accounts in different countries, they may not realize that it's the same account holder. However, I think both accounts asked for SSN and nationality so somewhere in their system probably there are common references on both accounts. 

I do know that AmEx definitely will look up your credit (what they internally have on file for you) in another country. It's called their global card transfer program and they'll open a new card for you based on your internal history from your previous country with a few exceptions. I was able to get a card from them within 2 weeks of moving to Europe a few years ago and that really gave me a leg up building credit history there. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.