cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays product change? or perhaps cancel, also Amazon storecard.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays product change? or perhaps cancel, also Amazon storecard.

Hello, recently apped and approved for Discover, Bankamericard and Chase Freedom, all in the past few weeks. I have had the barclays for a couple years now and they are my oldest open trade line. But now having all these cash back cards I feel like the apple card is quite useless as well as the Amazon card, I don't really intend to make any 0% long term purchases because I don't want to carry balances. 

With that said I have considered either trying to force barclays into a product change with some type of rewards, maybe hotels? otherwise I don't really feel like I need them anymore. And amazon storecard, not unhappy with them but customer service is second rate and most things I buy on there I could pay for in cash anyway, I just lazily pick the storecard just to show use. But it bothers me it doesn't sync with mint, nor does it have an iphone app. So considered closing them too. 

Any thoughtsor opinions are appreciated. 

Current cards

Discover More $1500 

BankAmeicard $1500 

Amazon Store card $1000

Barclay Apple $2000 

Chase Freedom $500

And for what it's worth I only make about $18k a year because I'm a student which I why I imagine they dont' give me super high limits. I'm plenty happy with them. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays product change? or perhaps cancel, also Amazon storecard.

I have heard that Barclays is not one to do the product changes. You should not close a card with no AF. It will reduce your available credit. The Apple is also your highest CL. You need to leave them open and just put little charges on them to keep them active every now and then.  IMHO.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 2 of 8
spengbab
Regular Contributor

I called them twice. One rep said they do PCs but said the system wasn't allowing her to do it for me and told me to apply for what I wanted. I called the next day and the rep said no but she didn't seem to know what a product change was. I think they allow it for the same brand family. So they'll be fine if you changed your apple financing to the iTunes. I'm gonna call the CAs today and see what they think. I really don't want the apple financing card. Insanely high Apr and nothing else..
Barclaycard Apple Financing (2100), Discover More (2500), US Bank Visa Platinum (2000), CFNA (2200), Chase Freedom (500), Capital One (1500), HSBC Platinum Master Card (750), Nebraska Furniture Mart (1000)
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will update if I'm successful. thanks for the responses. 

Message 4 of 8
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

In my experience, the only way you can really get a product change (from one rewards card to another, eg. ITunes rewards to Orbitz rewards) is to put in an application for the new card you desire and close out the old.  You would just be better off opening a 2nd card with Barclay's so you can keep the older trade line open.  I requested a product change many years ago from a Juniper Platinum MC to the ITunes Rewards Visa and it resulted in a hard pull, the Plat. MC being closed, and the ITunes Visa being reported as a new account with the same CL as the MC.  Later on, I wanted the Carnival MC and just added it as a second card rather than closing out the ITunes Visa.  I spoke with an underwriter at one point and if I recall correctly the different rewards partners and programs have different credit criteria which doesn't allow for PC across the boards.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be careful with this - I burned an inquiry doing this same thing on the advice of a Barclays analyst. Then I was DECLINED for the other card! I called them back and tried to do a recon and they refused. I have been fairly unhappy with Barclays across the board, really. I explained to them that I wasn't even trying to get MORE credit, just a different card. They brought up the short sale of my house last November. Yeah, sure, that happened, but my scores have been going nowhere but UP since that happened. They said that they want to see at least a YEAR go by.

In the meantime, Orchard *raised* my limit, and NFCU approved me for 10k on the platinum mastercard. Barclays already cut my limit from 2700 to 2050 back in January.

Welcome to the sock drawer, Barclays card. No AF, but a 24.99% interest rate. I have the data plan for my iPad auto-billing to the card, and it's set to auto-pay the full balance monthly.

Message 6 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Barclay's doesn't PC. Some have had luck threatening to cancel and talking w/retention dept. But others have said no go. So, YMMV, but wouldn't count on it.

Amazon is GEMB and is great for CLIs w/SP, which helps your overall util., and therefore your FICO, too. I wouldn't close either of these if I were you.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The main thing I worry about is there is some calculated exposure based on my income and with it being lower I imagine I'm nearing the cap of what lenders would extend me without an increase in income or a decrease in other cards. I may be wrong on this, but just something I have been thinking about. 

on a side note, I wish i had never applied for barclay. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.