Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays: "Your card is closed but have an AF anyways!"

tag
SGR
Contributor

Barclays: "Your card is closed but have an AF anyways!"

This is a strange one. So I signed up for an Arrival+ awhile back and ended up rarely using it. Its got a small limit and the rewards aren't really that impressive. I got a notice in the mail telling me my AF is coming up and to call before Nov. 30th to close the card or I would get charged the AF of $89. I decided I have no use for the card -- I haven't used it since February -- so I called today to close it out and here's how it went:

Me: I want to close the card, I don't use it and the AF is coming up.

Rep: I have gone ahead and closed the account. Oh...umm... it's saying you're still going to get billed $89 because you called in too late. There nothing I can do, sorry.

Me: Umm.. the letter says to call by November 30th by 5 PM EST.

Rep: You have to call 60 days before your AF date, that's our policy.

Me: The letter says call by Nov 30th and it's Nov 9th. This is unacceptable.

Rep: I'll escalate this issue because there's nothing I can do. Here's my manager...

Mgr: You have to call 60 days before the AF kicks in, that has always been our policy. I can't do anything at this point to help you.

Me: The letter specifically says I must call by November 30th by 5 PM EST and it is dated Oct 27th -- well after the "60 day policy" you claim to have. I'm calling today, Nov 9th. The card is also closed and can't be reopened. This means that if I'm charged an AF, it will be for a year in which the card will have been closed 100% of the time.

Mgr: Send me a picture of the letter and I'll see what I can do. Call back on the 30th to find out the results.

Here's the proof:

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays: "Your card is closed but have an AF anyways!"

Wow, hope everything turns out for you. Barclays has a good amount of pages with organizational issues. 

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd call back sooner. By the 30th, they may have conveniently lost the notes and call recording from today.

I'm glad I just got the no-AF version for its limited pseudo-PIN and RewardsBoost value.

Message 3 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

That's crazy... it's a good thing you still have the letter as proof!

As time goes on, I'm becoming relieved that Barclay's denied me for Sallie back in the summer.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 21
SGR
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd call back sooner. By the 30th, they may have conveniently lost the notes and call recording from today.

I'm glad I just got the no-AF version for its limited pseudo-PIN and RewardsBoost value.

Good point... maybe I'll give them a daily  "got any news for me" call. If I see the AF post to my account my plan is to send a certified/return receipt letter warning them that the fee is in violation of my cardmember agreement -- there is nothing in my agreement stating I must cancel before 60 days in order to avoid the AF. In addition, I'll remind them that attempting to collect on the debt will put them in direct violation of 15 U.S. Code § 1692e(8) which states, "Communicating or threatening to communicate to any person credit information which is known or which should be known to be false." If they are stupid enough to actually continue... I might be taking a vacation on Barclays dime this season after taking a detour to small claims. It might only be $89 right now, but the evidence is overwhelmingly on my side and the FDCPA violation alone is a $1,000 fine.

Message 5 of 21
jeffm4688
Frequent Contributor

If that hits a courtroom I'd be surprised, but best include some punitive damages if so, cause i'm sure your not the only one they've done this too.

Thats kind of ludacris.

FICO 12/2015 - EX 692 TU 685

FICO 10/2021 - EX 596 TU 605 EQ 600 - officially rebuilding.

What survived:
Amex HH - 1.5K | Amex Delta - 1K | Amex Bonvoy - 1.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex Business Cash- 2K | Amex Business Plus - 2K
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's really strange and wrong. Did you confirm the number is actually their number?

My experience with Barclaycard has been excellent!

I was thinking about applying for this card now I'm going to wait. Please let us know what happens.

Message 7 of 21
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

I'm pretty sure that Barclays' policy used to be that they refunded annual fees

if the account was canceled within 60 days of the payment posting. I wonder when

or if that policy was actually changed. The letter you received giving until the due

date to cancel is actually a tightening of the policy in and of itself.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 8 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Be sure to keep records of the number you called and who you spoke to. I would not wait till the 30th but give them 10 days to get it resolved before calling again. If at this time you get the same jibberish then I would file a CFPB complaint on them and upload copy of the letter along with when and whom you spoke. If its in chat thats even better and that can be uploaded as well. These are the kinds of egregious practices that the CFPB wants to hear about.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Be sure to keep records of the number you called and who you spoke to. I would not wait till the 30th but give them 10 days to get it resolved before calling again. If at this time you get the same jibberish then I would file a CFPB complaint on them and upload copy of the letter along with when and whom you spoke. If its in chat thats even better and that can be uploaded as well. These are the kinds of egregious practices that the CFPB wants to hear about.

+1

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.