cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays recon query

tag
pbnair

Barclays recon query

I went for a mini app spree (last one was in Mar-April) and got approved in 3 out of 4 cards. I applied for three cards on Jun 10th

1. Chase British Airways approved by CA over phone after confirming details I entered in the application - 6K
  2. Citi Hilton HHonoros Reserve 5K - approved by CA over phone in 2-3 minutes.
  3. Barclays US Airways - denied

Then I saw Southwest has relaunched their 50K miles offer so applied it on Jun 11th. Called Chase and CA took 2-3 minutes to review my application and said he would be able to approve after moving 3K from existing Marriott Rewards (8K), to which I said okay and he did approve Southwest card - that is 2 chase cards in two days.

4. Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - 3K

This is the second time I am applying for Barclays and getting denied - when I called in to speak with Credit service team the person who helped me with reconsideration asked me why I have opened 8 accounts in last 1 year. Though I tried to give him proper explanation that my hotel reward cards are to cover those places where I stay more often in business & pleasure travel and Alaska has hub in my city etc. he doesn't seems to be impressed and declined to approve. I don't think I will be able to get approved for Barclays in anytime in near future. I wanted to have US Airways cards because post-merger with AA and a possible card approval from Citi I could end up with some good amount of miles enough for International travel redemption.

Any suggestion how to approach Barclays for recon / next application?

Experian Score: 716 (as of Jun-2013)

AMEX Costco TrueEarnings (10K) | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature (5K) | Alaska Airlines Visa Signature (5k) | AMEX Starwood Preferred Guest (2K) | US Alliance Visa Classic (5K) | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (1000) | Capital One Platinum Mastercard (500) | Chase British Airways (5K) | Chase Southwest Premier (3K) | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve (5K)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays recon query

@pbnair wrote:

I went for a mini app spree (last one was in Mar-April) and got approved in 3 out of 4 cards. I applied for three cards on Jun 10th

1. Chase British Airways approved by CA over phone after confirming details I entered in the application - 6K
  2. Citi Hilton HHonoros Reserve 5K - approved by CA over phone in 2-3 minutes.
  3. Barclays US Airways - denied

Then I saw Southwest has relaunched their 50K miles offer so applied it on Jun 11th. Called Chase and CA took 2-3 minutes to review my application and said he would be able to approve after moving 3K from existing Marriott Rewards (8K), to which I said okay and he did approve Southwest card - that is 2 chase cards in two days.

4. Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - 3K

This is the second time I am applying for Barclays and getting denied - when I called in to speak with Credit service team the person who helped me with reconsideration asked me why I have opened 8 accounts in last 1 year. Though I tried to give him proper explanation that my hotel reward cards are to cover those places where I stay more often in business & pleasure travel and Alaska has hub in my city etc. he doesn't seems to be impressed and declined to approve. I don't think I will be able to get approved for Barclays in anytime in near future. I wanted to have US Airways cards because post-merger with AA and a possible card approval from Citi I could end up with some good amount of miles enough for International travel redemption.

Any suggestion how to approach Barclays for recon / next application?

What do you mean by that?
Dont you already have a Citi card?
Barclays is extremely sensitive to new accounts and inquiries. With all these new accounts that you got in June, it's just going to be worse once they report to the CRAs.

Nothing that can be done about that other than to stop applying and really let those new accounts age while your inquiries fall off. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Sorry for the denial with Barclays. Barclays does not like new accts/inq's. they have gotten even more skittish even for thicker files. If you want a Barclays cc- refrain from apping for 6 mos minimum.
Message 3 of 5
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the approvals and sorry that Barclay does not show any love for you.

When I applied for the Barclay Arrival card (May 2013)  I had 5 NEW accounts in 5 months and when getting the review message I expected a stright denial. But to my surprise the call I got was only to verify if I did apply and Barclay did not even mention my new accounts and approved me for 10K. This was a very big surprise as from posts here I expected a denial for too many new accounts. I guess it is a YMMV thing with Barclay. Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 5
gstq34
Contributor

Barclays is moody.  I did not get my Apple card until my 2nd backdoor.  But after the 0% for my Apple stuff they mailed me BT checks for 0% until Aug '14. (I also backdoored for a CLI so I could use the BT)  Worth the trouble in the end.  I have only seen Amex get more unpredictable, I have seen them be described as a CC with PMS!

Starting Score: 573
Current Score: 764 EX (FAKO)
Goal Score: 760 all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.