Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays refuses to apply payments as requested

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays refuses to apply payments as requested

So either they credit me the $3 cash advance fee, or apply my payment to CA first to remain compliant.
Message 11 of 37
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

You can try their social media channel or the Ring community for further direction.  However, based on how you used the account associated with the BT/CA instruments, they are following the CCA (which you should have received with your card), regardless of the APR being the same.

An excerpt/summary of their CCA:

Credit Line/Authorized Usage.
Your credit line is shown on the folder containing your Card. We may change your credit line from time to time—either increase or decrease it—in our sole discretion. If at any time (including in the first month after your Account is opened) you engage in account actions or activity that we perceive could have a negative impact on your credit standing with us, we may decrease your credit line or close your Account. Your latest credit line will appear on your monthly billing statement. You agree not to make a Purchase, authorize a Balance Transfer, use a Check, or obtain a Cash Advance that would cause the unpaid balance of your Account to exceed your credit line. We may honor Purchases, Balance Transfers, Checks and/or Cash Advances in excess of your credit line at our sole discretion. If we do, this Agreement applies to that excess and you agree to pay the excess immediately if we request that you do so. You agree that we may change or cancel your credit line at any time for any reason without affecting your obligation to pay amounts that you owe under this Agreement.  We will notify you of any change, but that change many take effect before you receive the notice. We may designate that only a portion of your credit line is available for Cash Advances. If we do and you exceed your line, you will be considered to have exceeded your credit line for all purposes of this Agreement. We may limit the authorizations to make Purchase, Balance Transfer, Check, or Cash Advance transactions that may be accomplished with your Card or Account.  If you are approved for an account that does not have a preset spending limit please see the Addendum to the Cardmember Agreement addendum for additional information about your credit line and the usage of your Account.

Checks on Your Account.
We may issue Checks on your Account in the form of “Balance Transfer Checks” or “Cash Advance Checks,” which can be used to access your credit line.   Each Check will contain your Account number and may be used only by the person(s) whose name(s) is/are printed on it.  Each must be completed and signed in the same manner as a regular personal check. If we provide Checks to you, you may not use them to pay any amount you owe under this Agreement or under any other account you may have with us. Balance Transfer Checks and Cash Advance Checks are subject to the same rate and other terms under this Agreement as Balance Transfers and Cash Advances, respectively.  Unless otherwise indicated, all references in this Agreement to Balance Transfers include Balance Transfer Checks, all references to Cash Advances include Cash Advance Checks, and all references to use of the Account include use of these Checks.  At our sole discretion we may elect to not honor a Check if there has been a change in your credit worthiness, your account is not in good standing or if the Check may cause your account to exceed the Cash Advance or other applicable credit line on your Account.  At our sole discretion we may elect to honor a Check after its expiration date. Unlike purchase transactions, there are no charge back rights with regard to Balance Transfer and Check transactions.

Payment Allocation.
Subject to any mandatory provisions of applicable law, in most instances, we will allocate any amount over your minimum payment to the highest APR balances first. Payments up to the minimum payment will be applied at our discretion, including to lower APR balances first.

Oh you're quick today Fin I was preparing to post the same info

OP I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you'll find this clause in every T/C with all lenders and I've never seen one that didn't that offers BT's and convenience checks 

Sorry to say is within in their right to post a payment where they see fit 

They are wrong from the viewpoint of customer service and they wrong from the viewpoint of the law. I will post it on social media. 

I have to be honest so don't take it wrong but yu're fighting a losing battle and this has been the case for many many years for payment allocations and you can't fault them because you failed to read and understand the T/C which you accepted to get the card 

You know the part after the words approved that ask do you accept these terms and then you checked the little box? 

Sorry but live and learn same with Chase, Citi, Amex, Discover, BofA etc etc 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

You can try their social media channel or the Ring community for further direction.  However, based on how you used the account associated with the BT/CA instruments, they are following the CCA (which you should have received with your card), regardless of the APR being the same.

An excerpt/summary of their CCA:

Credit Line/Authorized Usage.
Your credit line is shown on the folder containing your Card. We may change your credit line from time to time—either increase or decrease it—in our sole discretion. If at any time (including in the first month after your Account is opened) you engage in account actions or activity that we perceive could have a negative impact on your credit standing with us, we may decrease your credit line or close your Account. Your latest credit line will appear on your monthly billing statement. You agree not to make a Purchase, authorize a Balance Transfer, use a Check, or obtain a Cash Advance that would cause the unpaid balance of your Account to exceed your credit line. We may honor Purchases, Balance Transfers, Checks and/or Cash Advances in excess of your credit line at our sole discretion. If we do, this Agreement applies to that excess and you agree to pay the excess immediately if we request that you do so. You agree that we may change or cancel your credit line at any time for any reason without affecting your obligation to pay amounts that you owe under this Agreement.  We will notify you of any change, but that change many take effect before you receive the notice. We may designate that only a portion of your credit line is available for Cash Advances. If we do and you exceed your line, you will be considered to have exceeded your credit line for all purposes of this Agreement. We may limit the authorizations to make Purchase, Balance Transfer, Check, or Cash Advance transactions that may be accomplished with your Card or Account.  If you are approved for an account that does not have a preset spending limit please see the Addendum to the Cardmember Agreement addendum for additional information about your credit line and the usage of your Account.

Checks on Your Account.
We may issue Checks on your Account in the form of “Balance Transfer Checks” or “Cash Advance Checks,” which can be used to access your credit line.   Each Check will contain your Account number and may be used only by the person(s) whose name(s) is/are printed on it.  Each must be completed and signed in the same manner as a regular personal check. If we provide Checks to you, you may not use them to pay any amount you owe under this Agreement or under any other account you may have with us. Balance Transfer Checks and Cash Advance Checks are subject to the same rate and other terms under this Agreement as Balance Transfers and Cash Advances, respectively.  Unless otherwise indicated, all references in this Agreement to Balance Transfers include Balance Transfer Checks, all references to Cash Advances include Cash Advance Checks, and all references to use of the Account include use of these Checks.  At our sole discretion we may elect to not honor a Check if there has been a change in your credit worthiness, your account is not in good standing or if the Check may cause your account to exceed the Cash Advance or other applicable credit line on your Account.  At our sole discretion we may elect to honor a Check after its expiration date. Unlike purchase transactions, there are no charge back rights with regard to Balance Transfer and Check transactions.

Payment Allocation.
Subject to any mandatory provisions of applicable law, in most instances, we will allocate any amount over your minimum payment to the highest APR balances first. Payments up to the minimum payment will be applied at our discretion, including to lower APR balances first.

Oh you're quick today Fin I was preparing to post the same info

OP I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you'll find this clause in every T/C with all lenders and I've never seen one that didn't that offers BT's and convenience checks 

Sorry to say is within in their right to post a payment where they see fit 

They are wrong from the viewpoint of customer service and they wrong from the viewpoint of the law. I will post it on social media. 

I have to be honest so don't take it wrong but yu're fighting a losing battle and this has been the case for many many years for payment allocations and you can't fault them because you failed to read and understand the T/C which you accepted to get the card 

You know the part after the words approved that ask do you accept these terms and then you checked the little box? 

Sorry but live and learn same with Chase, Citi, Amex, Discover, BofA etc etc 

I agree with the terms! I'm saying that they're not following their own terms, or they have to clarify. 

Message 13 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should also add that the checks themselves specifically say no cash advance fee, yet when I used the check, the $3 fee was added as written in their regular terms.
Message 14 of 37
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I can clarify for you. The fact that the cash advance fee was counted as cash advance balance, but was not part of the money I borrowed, it effectively increases your APR on the balance to a fraction above the balance transfer Apr making it payable first according to the law.

Ok I think I see what you're saying 

You don't think the fee should have been connected to the cash advance is that correct? 

Final question did you use the full amount of the BT/LOC?

Pls clairify for me 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 15 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used $1500 of $10k for BT. I used $1500 of $4k cash advance limit.

After payment I have $8500 total available, with only $2500 of $4k cash advance limit.

Yes, if they're going to count the fee as cash advance, then the APR is higher and should be paid first.
Message 16 of 37
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I should also add that the checks themselves specifically say no cash advance fee, yet when I used the check, the $3 fee was added as written in their regular terms.

Just looking for answers but my checks sometimes say 

Straight $3.00 fee

Then there's the one that say 3% fee or $3 min....This min is still a fee granted 

I just shredded some about an hour ago wish I would have waited for your situation 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 17 of 37
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Ive PM'ed you a contact at Barclays. Its a direct line to "managers only"...complaints. May or may not work, but never know. Good luck!
Message 18 of 37
elim
Senior Contributor

They minimized risk by basically turning off your cash line with their choice of allocation. Better decision for them.

no cash for you!  lol

I hate BB Delaware... skittish bank

Message 19 of 37
elim
Senior Contributor

You probably still have a few thousand cash available... If it makes a difference, I have gotten within $100 of my cash limit and paid it off... no CLD yet.

I do like those checks when dealing with barn finds. deposit in my account and negotiate with cash.

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.