cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays super sensitive to INQs or New TLs?

tag
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Barclays super sensitive to INQs or New TLs?

So I was approved for Barclays a few weeks ago, and I'm nowhere in trying to app for more cards (HP based Smiley Wink).  But i did get some new cards through the shopping cart trick-  Express & Sportsman's Guide VISA.

So....I'm wondering if Barclays is just sensitive to INQs or just new account TLs in the CR in general?  Or...BOTH?

Many thanks.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclays super sensitive to INQs or New TLs?

They definitely were sticklers for me and shot down my attempt for their Sallie Mae after 2 recon attempts.

I did learn what caused their cardiac arrest (from my TU report) for them were 3 relatively new accounts which are near or sitting at the 6 month mark with extremely low UTIL considering.

The specifically pointed to those new "Bank" CC accounts and as i explained my recent run on store cards they said those were not any factors in their decision.

So there you have it. With new/recent store cards an applicant/card holder is probably safe. What freaks them out are new/recent "Prime Bank" accounts. This was my most recent experience from Barclay's.
Message 2 of 28
baller4life
Super Contributor

One poster put it the best! "They're like a jealous girlfriend. Don't want you to talk to any other girls!" Geez!!!!

Message 3 of 28
myjourney
Super Contributor

Are these new accounts after the  Hawaiian card? 

And the answer is both INQ's lead to new TL's all of which they watch for 6 months after approval of their card YMMV

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 28
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hear about the denial. Great information to know though. Thanks! 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 5 of 28
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

I got all of the cards in my sig in the last 2 months, but Barclay wouldn't have me.  They were the 3rd card I applied for, and I had never applied for a credit card before that, so it wasn't because of inquiries in my case. 

They said it was mostly because I didn't have any revolving credit history, which was correct.  

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 6 of 28
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

When I got my arrival, I had 9 inqs in the last 24 months. They were also my fourth account opened that day. So, I will see if they take any issue with that this month. I have charged around 1600 bucks since I got the card middle of last month, and will pif at the end of this month.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 7 of 28
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I think it's important to point out that it's not only just new credit AFTER getting a Barclay's card, but definitely ALSO BEFORE.

That much they made very plain to me.

Those dogs lol Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 28
mattmix36
Contributor

Does Barclay close accounts because of this? I just opened a ton of new CC accounts and barclays was one of them...what ahould I expect?

My Wallet: AMEX Platinum | Citi AAdvantage Exec $20k | Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $12k | United MileagePlus Club 8k | FNBO $25k | Chase Military Officers Club $9k | Discover IT $5.5k | BankAmericard $30k | PENFED Platinum Cash Rewards $10.5k | Barclay Rewards $6.15k | USAA AMEX $15k | USAA MC $16k | NFCU Flagship Rewards $25k | Logix $15k | Chase Ink Cash $12k | Paypal MC $5k | Walmart Discover $5.4k | Chase Freedom $2k | Sallie Mae $2k | Target RedCard $300 | JP Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards $5k | BoA Alaska $1k

Message 9 of 28
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@mattmix36 wrote:
Does Barclay close accounts because of this? I just opened a ton of new CC accounts and barclays was one of them...what ahould I expect?

From what I have read here about people that actually got CLD from Barclay...the conclusion was because they hadn't use their Barclay card in 6 months.....most of the time it's just members here that are warning others because I guess someone started a rumor that Barclay CLD or closes accounts because of people go on crazy app sprees....but I challenge anyone here to show proof or share their story how Barclay CLDd them.....I'm waiting...(oh by the way, the post that I read where the Barclay card holder got CLD said he didn't use his Barclay card for 6 months! He then called Barclay and Barclay restored his credit limit! So just take what people here say about Barclay with a big grain of salt!

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.