Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays won't upgrade my SallieMae

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays won't upgrade my SallieMae

@NobodyImportant wrote:

Why is everyone obsessed with World/Signature? For 99% of people the added "benefits" are worthless (who the hell would ever use the concierge?). Personally I prefer lower-grade cards for the lower swipe fees charged to merchants!

Do they give you a discount for Plat vs Signature?

If the answer is no, then I don't see the point here.

Message 21 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NobodyImportant wrote:

Why is everyone obsessed with World/Signature? For 99% of people the added "benefits" are worthless (who the hell would ever use the concierge?). Personally I prefer lower-grade cards for the lower swipe fees charged to merchants!

apparently some people on this forum used concierge service before. just because you don't use it, doesn't mean it's worthelss. Hell, I even got free business class upgrade on a flight bought with a world elite mastercard.

Just curious, what kind of cards do you have, because if you prefer to use lower swipe fees card, that means using discover and amex is out of the question, because they charges highest swipe fees.

Message 22 of 34
NobodyImportant
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Do they give you a discount for Plat vs Signature?

If the answer is no, then I don't see the point here.

I (admittedly) play both sides: my goal is to maximize my own gain, while minimizing the bank's profits as much as possible without compromising that goal. (So when Amex or a Signature/World card is offering the highest cashback rate, I will use that card, but if I can earn the same cashback from a lower-grade card, I will choose that card.) The basis for this is a personal dislike of the CC racket.

Merchants have already priced in CC processing fees to their products, and most merchants don't offer different pricing for cheaper payment methods. (For awhile merchants were actually prohibited from doing so - they may still be prohibited in some cases; I haven't kept up with this but am aware there have been some relevant court cases and regulations recently.) So when you buy something with cash, you're paying extra for CC processing (included in the merchant's margins), for no reason. CC rewards aren't free, they're just the bank passing on the merchant swipe fees while pretending they're giving you a deal. (Smarter CC users, like some on this forum, can make out on this by heavily utilizing loss-leader categories, but we aren't the majority.) If a merchant offers different pricing for other payment methods, I will choose another payment method if it makes sense.

Someone in a later post asked which cards I use. I use the card that yields the most for every particular situation. For non-category spend, this will be AGCs (4.25% cashback because I only buy them during 2.25% specials), or DC or Arrival+ if the merchant doesn't accept Amex. And yes, Amex's swipe fees are generally higher (though for small-value purchases, Amex may be lower because for many merchant categories they don't charge a flat fee, only a percentage), but I believe Discover's are around V/MC's.

Message 23 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

wait some time!

Message 24 of 34
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Discover swipe fees are actually (slightly) lower than v/mc.
Signature needs updating
Message 25 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NobodyImportant wrote:

. For non-category spend, this will be AGCs (4.25% cashback because I only buy them during 2.25% specials),

Wow, so you actually use them rather than liquidating?   Im impressed!

Message 26 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Happy

Turning materials into goods. Sounds like good use of frozen dairy.
Message 27 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@SEBanker wrote:

What's different about a WMC?

It says 'World' on the card, instead of 'Platinum'. I have both versions, so I know. Look carefully at my Signature if you don't believe me...

oh i haven't laughed this hard since i was a little girl. thank you

Message 28 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@happypill wrote:

Mine is $1k WMC I got in January.  It was approved on recon, so the analyst just check the "WMC" box when setting up the account I guess.

So glad I don't have to suffer the humiliation of a $11k Platinum card.

oh my god, the horror! you need to shred that card, change your name and move to a new location, so no one will ever know about your humiliating 11k platinum card.

grow a beard and shave it off

but don't laugh at him! i feel his pain! AmEx won't upgrade my Platinum card to something that says world on it and my spend limit is 75k. i lose sleep over this. 

Message 29 of 34
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Don't make fun of OP for wanting the best possible version of a particular product. While I understand why some people would find that silly, I also think it's absurd to pick a lower tier card to pay a merchant because it "costs them less" (regardless of tier, they're writing it off their taxes). I just choose not to make fun of them.

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.