Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barney's Card Small Balance Write-Off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barney's Card Small Balance Write-Off

Don't panic if you see this language under "transactions" on your Barney's online statement.

I was leaving a $2 balance on the card to ensure they would report my new 3k CLI. Madea payment for all but $2. I was not sure if they would report CLI with a zero balance.

The next thing I know, the account balance is zeroed out. I looked under transaction detail and saw "small-balance write-off" for $2. I seriously thought they were going to write off the balance and close my account or something!

I charged a green tea purchase online a few minutes later for $14 successfully on my Barney's card and it went through just fine. Apparently some card companies will do a small balance waiver and write it off when it is that tiny.

Relieved, because I mistakenly thought it meant they were writing it off in order to close my card. Wanted to post this to tell you if you see this on yours not to panic.

I don't think I'll leave a small balance on there again though as it may irriate them to write off small amounts more than once. Hope this helps someone.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barney's Card Small Balance Write-Off

I have seen this on my FRN card and yes they will write off small balances. There is no one else I am aware of that does this.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

I have seen this on my FRN card and yes they will write off small balances. There is no one else I am aware of that does this.

I was thinking it might be a Comenity Capital anomaly too, since both Barney's and FRN Mastercard are through Comenity Capital, but then I saw this. Apparently other companies do too!

Unusual

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/small-balance-waiver-a-k-a-lots-of-free-99-cent-amazon-gcs/

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Discover.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.