cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be Honest: Have you Carried a balance on a CC?

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Be Honest: Have you Carried a balance on a CC?

Yes, No, and Yes.

Yes, I used to.

No, I don't anymore.

Yes, three of my accounts have a revolving balance.  (yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.)  My niece, My sister, and my other sister.  Each of them have a card of mine that has a revolving balance.  I won't loan them money because I won't charge them interest, but I will let use an account of mine even if it has interest!  Fortunately, at the moment most of them don't have due to being new or promotional balance transfer rates.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 51 of 69
flawesome
Contributor

Not even once.

| BoA BBR 5k | Discover it 1k | freedom 2.2k | Fidelity AMEX 1.5k | Sallie Mae 1k | AARP 2.2k | BJ's PPlus 3.7k |
Message 52 of 69
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@BeeH11 wrote:

Have you Carried a balance on a CC?

Of course.

@BeeH11 wrote:

Other than paying interest? Why is not PIF such a bad thing?

Paying interest is an issue but it's not just paying the interest itself.  Many are here not only for building/rebuilding but to maximize rewards.  Paying interest easily kills any rewards earned.

The bigger issue is carrying balances and risking the slide into further debt.

@BeeH11 wrote:

For those of you who have read some of my prior posts, you know I have high utilization but that's about to change. Should I be worried that my credit card companies are going to close my accounts or cut my limits once I pay off the balances?

No sense in worrying IMO.  If they're going to take adverse action against you then they're going to take adverse action against you.  You still need to get out of your debt and it's not worth carrying the debt and paying the interest to avoid balance chasing since your utilization is already high.  Get it down and then worry about it if it happens.

@BeeH11 wrote:

I would also like to know if any of you carried a (high) balance for a while, then paid it down and the account was closed or limit cut.

Yup.  Been there, done that.  Don't want to ever be there again.  High utilization will seriously constrain you.  It's the second biggest factor (Amount Owed in the link below):

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Message 53 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to not be carrying balances, but after having surgery and some unexpected vehicle issues a couple of months ago, it's unavoidable.  The goal is to pay off most, if not all, of my cards if not monthly, every 3 months.  Right now, I'm carrying a high balance on two of my major cards, along with my CareCredit, Firestone and Walmart.  I'm working on paying those down and hope to be back on track in the next few months if all goes well.

Message 54 of 69
Focused10
Established Contributor

Before I became responsible with my credit, I did. I've learned. The people that carry balnaces aren't logging onto this site. I now carry them on my 0% cards. They will be paif off by the time the 0% ends, which is well over  a year from now.

;;;
BCE: $2K | Amazon: $5K | BBVAmex: $7.5K | AAdvntge: $8.5K | AMEX: $30K | Frdm: $10K | Citi: $6.2K | FNB: $10K | NASA: $25K | CapOne QS: $10K | Chase Marriott: $12K ~ Garden 3.2.16
Message 55 of 69
hyp0luxa
Regular Contributor

I have had to do it in the past, when I only had 1 card with no 0% period

Always paid it off in 2-3 months max

Now I only do it while on 0% and make sure to pay off a full statement cycle before 0% expires

to reset grace period

Last TL/HP 7/29/2015 | Gardening till December 2015 at least...
AMEX PRG - NPSL | NASA Cash Rewards - 30k | NFCU Cash Rewards VS - 25k | AMEX Everyday - 18k |
Chase CSP 16.8k | BOA 3-2-1 VS - 12k | Fidelity AMEX - 12k | Citi Dividend - 11.3k | Barclays Sallie Mae WMC - 10k | PayPal Extras MC - 7.5k | WalMart MC- 7.5k | Cap1 QS One - 6k | Barclays Apple Visa - 5.7k | Chase Freedom VS - 5k
Message 56 of 69
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd like to not be carrying balances, but after having surgery and some unexpected vehicle issues a couple of months ago, it's unavoidable.  The goal is to pay off most, if not all, of my cards if not monthly, every 3 months.  Right now, I'm carrying a high balance on two of my major cards, along with my CareCredit, Firestone and Walmart.  I'm working on paying those down and hope to be back on track in the next few months if all goes well.

Unfortunately life has a way of disrupting our plans doesn't it?

All we can do is keep moving forward.

Message 57 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

For 0% offers, of course. I'll spend up that balance up to almost the CL (or as much as makes sense), pay minimums every month, and then pay it off a day before the 0% offer ends.  I've never had any adverse action taken as a result.

I don't really seek out 0% APR offers anymore, since the benefit I gain by keeping that amount on deposit is so low. But if a card offers something else of value, then, sure I'll carry a balance and pay it off the day before the 0% goes away. Right now, I've got about 10k rolling on my BarclayCard Arrival+ (down from $12k; I paid it down a bit just to give myself some breathing room).  In the case of the Arrival+, it made sense to spend it up as at 2% CB it was my best "everything-else" card.  So the 0% APR is just icing on the cake.

A couple of years back, I actually paid credit card interest (shudder!). One of my cards ran a 1% APR deal, and this was back when I was getting a deposit rate of 5%+, so of course I rode that one as far as I could.

Chris.

Message 58 of 69
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

I carry balances....mostly pay them off, if I don't pay ALL of them, I pay at least one then 3-5x over minimum on the rest till all have been knocked out

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 59 of 69
Involver
Valued Contributor

I unknowingly let balances report all the time prior to the information I learned from this and other sites.  In retrospect my scores were taking a serious beating because of it.

I'm currently caring a decent-sized balance on a 0% promotion through 2016.  It's the only balance I will let report as everything else I will PIF.

Message 60 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.