cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be careful when using your debit cards!!!

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Be careful when using your debit cards!!!

@LS2982 wrote:
How does discover work on getting cash back at a store?? I keep hearing about this, is it like how the walmart card works where it shows up as a purchase and treated like a purchase?

Yeah, it's treated just like a purchase with no fee, and interest doesn't start immediately as it does in a cash advance. 

The only thing is you don't get cash back, and the amount isn't counted towards your $3k spending threshold.  Other than that, it is treated just as if it where any other purchase.  I just go into the supermarket, buy some mints and get cashback.  

I use this to get cash now rather than my atm/debit card.

Message 31 of 39
FrugalRican
Blogger

For those of you who advocate only using your debit card to withdrawal funds from an ATM, also consider this:

Using an ATM machine that is strictly inside a branch (limited access). The advent of ATM skimmers has been around for a few years and even that has compromised quite a few cards.

I actually SD'ed my debit card.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 32 of 39
Open123
Super Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

For those of you who advocate only using your debit card to withdrawal funds from an ATM, also consider this:

Using an ATM machine that is strictly inside a branch (limited access). The advent of ATM skimmers has been around for a few years and even that has compromised quite a few cards.

I actually SD'ed my debit card.

Right, and when I must use an ATM, it'll be a Citi one where there is an enclosed environment where only one with an actual Citi ATM card can gain access.  I will never use public open ATMs again.

Message 33 of 39
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I need to start using inside ATMs or getting money from a teller. I surprisingly havent had any bank card fraud happen to me.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 34 of 39
Ron1
Super Contributor

Most BofA ATM are outside the branch or the drive-thru.  Some of them are inside the shopping mall.  There are many ways to get hold of your debit card number like waiter/waitress copied your account number, payment processing server got hacked. I also heard someone buying drive-thru at Mc Donald and his card got copied. Just have to be careful.  Check online and look at your bank statement closely.  Use your credit card instead of debit for most purchases. 

Ron.

Message 35 of 39
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Ron +1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 36 of 39
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@MrShush wrote:
Been saying this for years. Credit card issuers will work harder to get THEIR money back than the bank will work to return YOURS to you!

Big +1 to this.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 37 of 39
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@MrShush wrote:
Been saying this for years. Credit card issuers will work harder to get THEIR money back than the bank will work to return YOURS to you!

Big +1 to this.

+2

(Although I have to give Cap1 bank props for the 2 situations I had where they straighened it out quickly)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 38 of 39
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

My main checking account is through Fidelity and I did not even want a Visa debit card and just ATM card linked to it...however they don't have that option so they sent me their debit card. I SD that and never use it..I pay all my credit cards from it and whatever I transfer whatever money needed to keep a balance of $620 in my USAA checking account. I carry that debit card and since daily limit is $600 I always use that to get cash and if needed ever I can take max daily. Sometimes I would make a purchase with it, but its rare....rest I have credit cards and I sleep good knowing my main Debit card is SD...I did activate it but when this ones expires I won't even activate a new one.
NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.