cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be careful ... when you make BT with 0% APR offer !!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be careful ... when you make BT with 0% APR offer !!

I would like to share my sad experience recently happen to me with you.   I made big mistake by applied to 0% APR on BT for 12 mos offer.  I was only thinking to transfer the balance from one CC to another because of 0% APR offer will be expires.

The card I applied is Citi Driver's Edge MC.  I was plan to use this card for BT and take advantage of 6% reward on purchase at Gas Station, Drug Store, and Grocery Store.  When I call the Citi to make BT to this card, I found out  that the payment I make will apply to BT first and then purchased balance.   BIG MISTAKE !   I already used this card for purchase.  Now I have to pay those balance before I make BT.  If not it just keep collecting the interest, and that interest will be large amount when I pay off the BT.  Smiley Sad   Well, what I can do now is to PIF toward to what I charged until today.  Then make BT to this card.  TOO BAD, I can't use this card until I pay off this BT and I loose the advantage of 6% reward until then.   But there is good thing ... I paid attention to what CSR said over the phone before complete the transaction and confirmed with CSR about what he said. 

Make sure plan well before you take 0% APR on BT offer !!   

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Be careful ... when you make BT with 0% APR offer !!

Yes, and also dont forget that, even with a 0% BT rate for the intro period, most BTs charge  you an immediate fee of 4% of the BT, and this is on the total amount of the BT, so even if the 0% rate extends for a full year, this 4% is not on the receeding monthly balance, but an up front charge that goes immediately into their pocket.  4% applied immediately is far worse than a much higher rate compounded only monthly on the remaining balance.  Hmmm....So the 0% is kinda meaningless.  Then, if the BT isnot paid within the period, it can then default to a rate that is even higher than your nornal APR rate. And payments over tthe intro period are deflected from you reguar CC balances, upon which they collect daily interest, so your monthly payments until the BT is paid off will not reduce your regular account balances, and thus interest accruing daily on your regular account balance.  The CCCs dont offer these enticing BT rates without full knowledge that, in most cases, it will make them more money.  Live and learn!

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-05-2008 02:30 AM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-05-2008 03:08 AM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-05-2008 03:12 AM
Message 2 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

And here is another kick in the buttockskis!  If you are foolish enough to make a BT from card 1 with a higher CL to card 2 with a lower CL, the resuting %util on the card 2 will then necessarily be higher than your previous %util on card 1, which will lower your FICO score, even though overall total % util does not change.  Not to mention that your card 1 balance, and thus % util,  will immediately increase due to their imposition of their immediate 4% fee for the BT!  And also not to further mention that many BTs additiohally  give the right to make a hard pull inquiry against your credit report before they are approved, hitting you for up to another -10 immediate FICO points.
So I have learned, upon pondering all the ramifications, to simply open the many BT offers that I receive monthly, and promptly dispose of them in my big, round, and uncaring trash can!  Wolves shroud themselves in sheep's clothing!  Or maybe in your case, wolves feed on bunnyrabbits!

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-05-2008 02:55 AM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-05-2008 03:02 AM
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a regular practice of every credit card I've ever received an offer for. I don't know any cards that don't do this. And it doesn't matter if it is a 0% offer or just a low APR offer. Their wording will say something to the effect that they will apply all payments to the lowest interest balances first.

It probably isn't a bad idea to consolidate to this card, just for the 0% and start earning your rewards after the BT is PIF
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:
And here is another kick in the buttockskis! If you are foolish enough to make a BT from card 1 with a higher CL to card 2 with a lower CL, the resuting %util on the card 2 will then necessarily be higher than your previous %util on card 1, which will lower your FICO score, even though overall total % util does not change. Not to mention that your card 1 balance, and thus % util, will immediately increase due to their imposition of their immediate 4% fee for the BT! And also not to further mention that many BTs additiohally give the right to make a hard pull inquiry against your credit report before they are approved, hitting you for up to another -10 immediate FICO points.
So I have learned, upon pondering all the ramifications, to simply open the many BT offers that I receive monthly, and promptly dispose of them in my big, round, and uncaring trash can! Wolves shroud themselves in sheep's clothing! Or maybe in your case, wolves feed on bunnyrabbits!

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-05-2008 02:55 AM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-05-2008 03:02 AM

Very true. I received a 0% offer for 12 months and a 3% fee about 7 months ago. It's always a good idea to do your homework on this. I went to bankrate.com. They have calculators that will tell you how much you will pay over time with your interest rate. You can also set fixed payments and see what you pay over time. They just have many good utilities there. It turned out that over the 12 month period of time, I would stand to save about $250 even after paying the 3% fee. So I did it and I'm planning on having it PIF before the 12 months is up.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG wrote:
So I have learned, upon pondering all the ramifications, to simply open the many BT offers that I receive monthly, and promptly dispose of them in my big, round, and uncaring trash can!

SHRED SHRED SHRED instead!!
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as a heads up...CCCU does not charge me a BT fee. @ 0% offer
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It can be a good practice to not use a CC that is holding a BT. In terms of the BT fee, some companies cap and sometimes you can ask for no fee or a low cap (I consider a low cap to be $50) if you call. Some companies are starting to go uncapped I hear.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase BoA just went no cap on our cards.

Message Edited by krystofur on 02-06-2008 04:51 AM
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I have $4800 to make BT. 
I devided this amount to two CCs, $800 (2k cl) and $4000 (8.6k cl). 
If I don't make BT, it will be 8.99% APR after next due date in March.
The BT fees are 3% for both CCs (no cap), which is $144 total.
And it is 0% APR for 12 months, this will save me a lot of interest compare to pays $100/mo for 4 yrs.

Message Edited by bunnyrabbit on 02-05-2008 08:41 PM

Message Edited by bunnyrabbit on 02-05-2008 08:42 PM

Message Edited by bunnyrabbit on 02-05-2008 08:43 PM
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.