cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be nice, be charitable, and keep your CCs alive the easy way!!

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Be nice, be charitable, and keep your CCs alive the easy way!!

There have been lots of posts recently about closed credit cards (due to lack of use).  One thing I do on cards I don't want to use is put  a charitable donation on each one.  It gets paid every month, I know what the amount is, I can pif before or after the statement, the charity is happy, the CCC is happy, I have a record for the IRS and it is what we are supposed to do if we are nice people  Smiley Very Happy

So I have two SDed cards that are used automatically every month, plus an Amex that does all my phone bills and with which I am not seen in public, and everyone is happy.  Smiley Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Be nice, be charitable, and keep your CCs alive the easy way!!

Great idea!

Too bad my cards that could have benefited from this were already closed! Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

awesome idea and I love that you already have the irs proof!
Message 3 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

very commendable idea.  i believe i might do this with my first premier & cortrust cards til i cancel them.

"plus an Amex with which I am not seen in public ..."  HILARIOUS!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a good idea, but when you have a store card, you can't do that. 

Goodbye Classic Oak GE Home Design CC.  I guess I'll have to use my Discover card to purchase new furniture when I move in 2009!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also do the same thing with my cards. 

My UNICEF and WWF contributions are set up automatically each month.  I automatically pay Netflix, ATT, and Harris County Tollway on different cards.  Keeps the CCs happy and all of my cards get used each month.

And, as MV wrote, I have the proof for my charitable contributions.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
MattH
Senior Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

There have been lots of posts recently about closed credit cards (due to lack of use).  One thing I do on cards I don't want to use is put  a charitable donation on each one.  It gets paid every month, I know what the amount is, I can pif before or after the statement, the charity is happy, the CCC is happy, I have a record for the IRS and it is what we are supposed to do if we are nice people  Smiley Very Happy

So I have two SDed cards that are used automatically every month, plus an Amex that does all my phone bills and with which I am not seen in public, and everyone is happy.  Smiley Happy

My employers encourage this: for our matching grant system we've switched from paper forms to an internal website where I enter the charity, the amount I wish to donate, and the credit card number.  They charge my credit card the specified amount, and send the charity twice that much.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.