Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Becoming a NFCU Member

tag
chadwick
New Contributor

Becoming a NFCU Member

Hey all.

I'm trying to get into NFCU and I do have a military affiliation (my father) however he is not a member of NFCU. I spoke to several NFCU reps and each person had a different answer as to whether or not I'm eligible for membership. Finally got one of the people who said I was eligible to sign me up over the phone. She said my application was being sent to their "membership department" and that it would take 3-5 days for an answer. Keep in mind, this was just for membership.  I did not apply for a credit card yet.

Any ideas as to what this means or the chances of me getting accepted? Will NFCU be able to use the membership credit pull for a cc app also or another pull?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Becoming a NFCU Member

@chadwick wrote:

Hey all.

I'm trying to get into NFCU and I do have a military affiliation (my father) however he is not a member of NFCU. I spoke to several NFCU reps and each person had a different answer as to whether or not I'm eligible for membership. Finally got one of the people who said I was eligible to sign me up over the phone. She said my application was being sent to their "membership department" and that it would take 3-5 days for an answer. Keep in mind, this was just for membership.  I did not apply for a credit card yet.

Any ideas as to what this means or the chances of me getting accepted? If you meet the criteria, you will likely recieve a HP to join though you may get lucky like me and only get the SP on TU for membership. Will NFCU be able to use the membership credit pull for a cc app also or another pull?  They will use another HP to check for CC approval.  You can almost always count on NFCU to HP for just about everything and should plan on it. If you don't get HP'd, then consider it a gift.  If you look at it like this, then you will never be disappointed.  Smiley Happy

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Best of luck on your membership!  I love NFCU.  I am always pleased with their service and credit products.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 2 of 8
TG76
New Contributor

@chadwick wrote:

Hey all.

Any ideas as to what this means or the chances of me getting accepted? Will NFCU be able to use the membership credit pull for a cc app also or another pull?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

My Dad is retired military, and he wasn't a member yet  when I opened my account. That's how I got in, even  though I'm a 10 year Veteran myself , I wasn't retired, so I didn't qualify by myself. When I spoke to the Navy Fed lady I told her his name and the branch he retired from and she opened my account with no problem. And as for your question about the HP, they actually pulled twice for me, once for membership and once for the CC App. This is just my personal experience with Navy. I'm sure some other people will come along and share some more info with you. Good Luck Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, it will be a HP for each new product that you apply for, however, it is worth it.

Best of Luck!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 8
Mvpbowler
Contributor

Yourself or a family member actually has a to be a retired from one of the branches and not just served is this correct?

Message 5 of 8

hmmm

Starting Score: EX 649 EQ 649 TU 653
Current Score: EX 649 EQ 649 TU 653
Goal Score: 760+ Across
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Mvpbowler wrote:

Yourself or a family member actually has a to be a retired from one of the branches and not just served is this correct?

Yes.  Or a current member of the Armed Forces.

Message 7 of 8
jboy1972
New Contributor

Definitely worth the HP's...generous credit limits and awesome interest rates for loans as well. Just treat them right and they will return the favor.
NFCU Flag Visa Sig $11k *| AMEX BCE $20k*| Discover It $8k*| Citi TY Preferred $5k *| Chase Freedom Visa $2k *|
| Lowe's $10k *| Bank of Hawaii Rewards Platinum Visa $7.8k *| Hawaii USA FCU Platinum Visa 3k *| Firestone 2.2k *|

FICO EQ- 747 (7/07/13) FICO EX -752 (8/07/13) FICO TU -751 (8/07/13)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.