Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beef up and prune my Credit Card/LOC portfolio

tag
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

Beef up and prune my Credit Card/LOC portfolio

Hey guys, so I have a really decent credit card portfolio, Chase Sapphire Preferred with a high limit was one of my goals. So as far as retail credit cards and personal lines of credit are concerned, I would like to continue improving it.

What does anyone have in mind? I do not have a personal line of credit at all yet.

Most likely the Macy's card will be closed in a few months, but I may keep it open, whatever.

Most likely I'll apply for Navy Fed or Pen Fed

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
rex_03
Contributor

Re: Beef up and prune my Credit Card/LOC portfolio

From your portfolio have you considered a product change on the Amex Blue to a better offering revolver with a better rewards structure. Also, are you looking to improve quality Vs. quantity?
Message 2 of 15
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@rex_03 wrote:
From your portfolio have you considered a product change on the Amex Blue to a better offering revolver with a better rewards structure. Also, are you looking to improve quality Vs. quantity?

Looking for quality, otherwise I'd have a bunch of cards from random banks and store cards!

The only reason I got Amex was to do the 3x CLI soft pull, just to cross it off my bucket list. I did choose blue after looking at Amex's offering, but what do you have in mind?

Message 3 of 15
rex_03
Contributor

The Amex blue is a good card in its own,but if not mistaken the points are converted to member rewards express. It's kinda a middle tier to me. I app'd for the Amex BCE as it offers the tiered points and I don't über spend in the catagories, so the 0$ annual fee fit my bill. I can do the 3X CLI on that also. Your return on a product change would be higher as the cash back/ credit,etc.. Would be more benificial with say a BCE or a card of interest.
If I were interested in MR points as I am, I will do a plat. Or such, and if Zync rolls back out I will take that member rewards express tier, and tie it to give me a full MR conversion..
My main go to for me is also the CSP/ Freedom combo by chase as I've racked up a ton of points very fast. Do you have a freedom?
Message 4 of 15
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@rex_03 wrote:
The Amex blue is a good card in its own,but if not mistaken the points are converted to member rewards express. It's kinda a middle tier to me. I app'd for the Amex BCE as it offers the tiered points and I don't über spend in the catagories, so the 0$ annual fee fit my bill. I can do the 3X CLI on that also. Your return on a product change would be higher as the cash back/ credit,etc.. Would be more benificial with say a BCE or a card of interest.
If I were interested in MR points as I am, I will do a plat. Or such, and if Zync rolls back out I will take that member rewards express tier, and tie it to give me a full MR conversion..
My main go to for me is also the CSP/ Freedom combo by chase as I've racked up a ton of points very fast. Do you have a freedom?

I'm aware of CSP + Freedom to rack up points in the categories, but thats actually way too much work for me. I fortunately live in a situation where I don't need a car or care about gas, and I don't have a Lowe's nearby - these are examples of current areas where the freedom will get me tons of points that I could use on CSP or something

I am content with just CSP for now, for the rewards game

Message 5 of 15
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

bump

Message 6 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@gen-specific wrote:

@rex_03 wrote:

Looking for quality, otherwise I'd have a bunch of cards from random banks and store cards!

The only reason I got Amex was to do the 3x CLI soft pull, just to cross it off my bucket list. I did choose blue after looking at Amex's offering, but what do you have in mind?

Are all your card listed in your sig?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 15
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

@rex_03 wrote:

Hello, yes

Message 8 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@gen-specific wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

@rex_03 wrote:

Hello, yes

IMHO you look good don't cut any just continue what your doing it looks great...

Major bank cards a co-branded card I like your line upSmiley Wink

LOC don't weigh must on a profile so if you need one then yes other than that don't stop what you doing....get it? Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 15
JonStur
Established Contributor

I don't really think you need anything else. You have great cards with great limits. Barring some specific reward card, any more would be for vanity IMHO....

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.