cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been denied then reapplied later with approval?

tag
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Been denied then reapplied later with approval?

For those who have been denied a card you really wanted then reapplied later and approved, may I please ask the following:

1.  What card/bank was it?

2.  How many apps did it take to get it and how long did you wait between reapplying?

3.  Reasons for denial if you remember

5.  What positive changes happened to your credit to make you qualify later (derogs falling off/deletions, lower util, higher AAoA)?

I have been shot down in the past by both Citi and Barclay.  Looking back, those were dumb apps at the time but hindsight is 20/20. 

I have a mini spree coming up (just two) mid March and am thinking about reapplying for a Barclay card (Sallie Mae).  Apps in general make me cringe (not sure why I get so nervous) but the thought of reapplying when shot down in the past makes it even worse.  Smiley Indifferent

Thanks in advance for sharing.  I think some of your experiences may lighten my thoughts and give me higher hopes.  

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Been denied then reapplied later with approval?

@axledobe wrote:

For those who have been denied a card you really wanted then reapplied later and approved, may I please ask the following:

1.  What card/bank was it?  AMEX GREEN & DELTA

2.  How many apps did it take to get it and how long did you wait between reapplying? Clse to 10times in 6months frame

3.  Reasons for denial if you remember You know the same reasons- Score/ too many INQs/ # of Derogs/ Too many accts established in past 12months deal

5.  What positive changes happened to your credit to make you qualify later (derogs falling off/deletions, lower util, higher AAoA)?  Honestly, I think they felt bad for me and kinda gave in....but all in all, i think it was my # of derogs aging off, variety of accounts- # of installments/CCs/retail cards,  consistent UTIL of 1%~2% for 3months or so

I have been shot down in the past by both Citi and Barclay.  Looking back, those were dumb apps at the time but hindsight is 20/20. 

I have a mini spree coming up (just two) mid March and am thinking about reapplying for a Barclay card (Sallie Mae).  Apps in general make me cringe (not sure why I get so nervous) but the thought of reapplying when shot down in the past makes it even worse.  Smiley Indifferent

Thanks in advance for sharing.  I think some of your experiences may lighten my thoughts and give me higher hopes.  

Good luck on your app spree in March!!

::edited for typo::

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 2 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Why were you denied?

what has changed?

did you recon barclay before?

Message 3 of 14
GetTheFico
Regular Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

1.  What card/bank was it?

2.  How many apps did it take to get it and how long did you wait between reapplying?

3.  Reasons for denial if you remember

5.  What positive changes happened to your credit to make you qualify later (derogs falling off/deletions, lower util, higher AAoA)?

Amex Delta.

I was denied once and approved the second time, 2 months later.

FICO score was the reason for denial.

A negative item on my credit report was removed causing an increase in score which led to approval.

P.S. You skipped number 4. Smiley Happy

EQ: 780
EX: 767
TU: 779
Message 4 of 14
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

1.  What card/bank was it? Discover for their More and Elan

2.  How many apps did it take to get it and how long did you wait between reapplying? Discover, I think I waited for a year and was approved with 2nd app, Elan I waited 1.5 years and was approved with second app

3.  Reasons for denial if you remember Can't remember but I think Discover was derogs at the time and Elan, too many inquiries

5.  What positive changes happened to your credit to make you qualify later (derogs falling off/deletions, lower util, higher AAoA)? TIME

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 14
angel22
Established Member

1. Barclaycard Sallie Mae
2. I didn't apply for the Sallie Mae again because I got preapproved for their Rewards Mastercard and applied for that instead. 7 months in between apps.
3. Too many inquiries and too many new accounts opened.
5. Time helped my credit report also.
Capital One: $4500, Chase Slate: $1500, Barclaycard $1300, Bank of America: $600, VicSecret:$750, Walmart Discover:$2000, JCP:$1000, Amazon:$1900, and a few more store cards. As of 2/4/14 my FICO is 645. My Goal FICO:700
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone had credit with a company that went bad, collection, charge off, then account was removed from credit bureau years later or just fell off after time and tried to get credit again with the same company after re-establishing credit? Will they know if you had a previous bad account if it's not on your file?

Message 7 of 14
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@angel22 wrote:
1. Barclaycard Sallie Mae
2. I didn't apply for the Sallie Mae again because I got preapproved for their Rewards Mastercard and applied for that instead. 7 months in between apps.
3. Too many inquiries and too many new accounts opened.
5. Time helped my credit report also.

This is exactly what happened to me except I applied for Sallie like 3 or 4 times.  I still don't have it...  Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 14
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

I have apped for barclay rewards a couple of times and was denied. The reason was too any new accounts and they want to see more payment history. So I won't app for a barclay card until a year from now since I recently tried yesterday! Good luck!

Message 9 of 14
CelticLady
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone had credit with a company that went bad, collection, charge off, then account was removed from credit bureau years later or just fell off after time and tried to get credit again with the same company after re-establishing credit? Will they know if you had a previous bad account if it's not on your file?

I included Discover in my bankruptcy back around 98/99 and a few months ago they started sending me pre-approval mailers almost every week. I just got approved with them last month. From what I've read on here, it depends on the issuer how long they will blacklist you for having a bad acct with them.

Wells Fargo Propel / AMEX BCE / Cap1 QS WMC / Chase Freedom / Cap1 QS / Discover it / Cap1 QSO / Chase Amazon Visa / PayPal CBMC /
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.