cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been in the garden for almost 2 years. Ready to do another app round. Need advice.

tag
Funk-O-Meter
Contributor

Been in the garden for almost 2 years. Ready to do another app round. Need advice.

I'm about to do another app round and I would appreciate advice as to what and how many accounts to app for. Here's where I'm at:

Fico: 726

Util: 25%

AAOC: 1y11mo

What I've got:

Amex Blue Cash Everyday 9k

Chase Freedom 5k

Chase Slate 5k

Dicover It 5k

Got pre approval offers in the mail for:

Amex Platinum (nope)

Citi Thank You Preferred

Citi Diamond Preffered

Chase Saffire Preferred

My By Power

Bunch of Capital One crap I don't want.

I'm considering:

Chase Saffire Preffered (for the 45k points)

Citi Diamond or Thank You Preffered for the intro APR

I feel like I should app for more. If so what would you guys recommend? 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: Been in the garden for almost 2 years. Ready to do another app round. Need advice.

Congrats...I can't seem to make it past 6 months...Smiley Frustrated.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 2 of 21
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: Been in the garden for almost 2 years. Ready to do another app round. Need advice.

I would go for the CSP because you already have the Freedom and right now still a great signup bonus.  Also the CIti preferred because of the intro apr (if that is what you looking for).  Of course this is out of the choices you gave.  What was the Platinum offer anyway?

Message 3 of 21
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Go for the Citi Thank you preferred and CSP.  Though it overlaps if you spend a lot in Dining ( CSP)  , entertainment (Thank you) and travel both could be worth it 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Go for the Citi Thank you preferred and CSP.  Though it overlaps if you spend a lot in Dining ( CSP)  , entertainment (Thank you) and travel both could be worth it 

I agree on the CSP for the sign up, but TYP is only useful if you really need the 0% APR (and I guess the bonus but that's not amazing).  I would try for the Fidelity Amex which is 2% everywhere, and in cash rather than Thank You points.

Remember, pre-approvals are marketing.  They are 

a) Not guarantees that you would get accepted

b) Not the only cards you would get approved for.

Ignore preapprovals, and look for cards that suit your needs and goals.

Message 5 of 21
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

I agree on the CSP for the sign up, but TYP is only useful if you really need the 0% APR (and I guess the bonus but that's not amazing).  I would try for the Fidelity Amex which is 2% everywhere, and in cash rather than Thank You points.

Remember, pre-approvals are marketing.  They are 

a) Not guarantees that you would get accepted

b) Not the only cards you would get approved for.

Ignore preapprovals, and look for cards that suit your needs and goals.

while Yes that is true Pre-approvals are easier to get accepted then say the same card apping out of the blue or just means you have an easier chance of getting it plus you get what they offer you like 13.99% APR versus the 13-22 they would offer if you apped cold. I got a pre-approved letter for Discover with 19.99% which means if approved I would get 19.99% not the highest APR of 22.99% which I would of gotten if I just apped for the card on the website. 

I actually apped for the capital one QS cold and got declined. The card had the highest APR% of 22.99% and a min $3,000 CL. I then apped for the QS through a pre-approved letter which offered 24.99% APR and $300 min CL and got approved for $500 CL.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 6 of 21
Exonumist
Established Contributor

CSP for sure. Other then that there's the Sallie Mae WMC, Fidelity Amex, US Bank Cash+, Sams Club Master Card, etc. It really just depends on what you want out of the card.

Message 7 of 21
kr3st00
Regular Contributor

I believe if you go into a Chase branch they have a special offer for the CSP where it's 50k MR points and you only have to spend $2,000 in the first 3 months instead of $3,000.

Message 8 of 21
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Good point about the APR. I just received a mailer from Discover also. My said interest free for first 15 months, and the 10.99% after that.

I am skittish though, was pre selcted at Barclay's for the arrival, but was denied even with two recon's last month

Message 9 of 21
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

You have a excellent portfolio of top tier cards with high limits. Go for what you really want, and disregard the mailers.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.